Thread: [Discussion] College - Is it worth it?
View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2013, 05:02 AM
Limerent
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
Forgot to mention that with a college diploma and/or degree, it makes it easier to emigrate to another country or get a working visa than if you didn't have one (due to a points system.) So there's also that.
That is a very good reason, but you aren't going to get a degree just to move out of your country, it's more of a bonus than anything, the main reason people go to university is because they want to move onto highly academic fields. Which you need to be interested in and committed to. I'm not much of an academic and am not interested in being a rocket scientist or anything, so I won't go to a university. For the majority like me I think high school and tertiary education like TAFE can get some really decent qualifications for jobs more skilled than being the frier cleaner at McDonalds.

I'm looking at an aviation theory course for TAFE which could be upgraded with numerous follow up courses to get a high skilled position such as Air Traffic Controller as mentioned above. This is free if you're a government student and a lot less expensive than university, I'd still have to work hard and study of course. Or the military is another good option for high quality on the job training, I'd argue that unless you really want to be a doctor, scientist, teacher or genius and not because it's for your asian parents, then only people that want professions like those should go to uni. The rest of us can be happy with technical trade schools, other tertiary courses etc.