View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:40 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I like how you mentioned the war on every single construct except men. I hope it's merely out of ignorance; men face many problems, some of them extremely severe (specifically, child custody post-divorce).

Look at the whole laundry list of problems men face. It would be hard enough to deal with these problems if we as a society acknowledged them, but many people outright deny these problems exist (or worse, are actively hostile toward those who work to remedy them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Try the faculty gender demographics instead. Then look at which ones have tenure, which ones have advanced degrees, which ones sit on the various councils and boards at the school. There's more truthful and revealing data, much more so than enrollment. And especially since some of those colleges are quite small.
Since we don't know the number of women trying to get those positions in the first place, pretty much all of that information is meaningless. If the ratio of women employed in those positions closely matches the application ratio, there's no problem, except that maybe women don't pursue higher education teaching jobs as much as men (or perhaps are less willing to pursue graduate school in general, as that is often a prerequisite to being a professor in any university worth working at).

As for the original original topic, no. That's silly hyperbole. Every generation thinks it's the end of the world because that would make them special and people love to feel special.

EDIT:
Post comment by Anonymous
With regards to the link - " The men's rights movement's claims and activities have been critiqued by scholars and others, and sectors of the movement have been described as misogynist.[4][5][6][7][8]"

Anything with any sort of impact is going to be critiqued by someone, and claims of misogyny against the movement and its supporters, true or not (and I'd argue many are clearly not), do nothing to change the existence of very real problems for men. The end goal should be egalitarianism, fixing EVERYONE's problems, not female supremacy, which is what some (not all, probably not even a majority) feminists believe in.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS

Last edited by twocows; August 6th, 2013 at 01:33 PM.