Thread: [Discussion] Any Tips for a New Mapper?
View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Cykes
Community Supporter

I've been mapping for eight years and I'd like to think that I'm not terrible at it, so maybe I can say a thing that might help out... no promises! Keep in mind that I won't rehash what's been said, and this is sort of more "theory" than tips and tricks.

Maps by different authors (usually) have different styles. There is no such thing as a "bad" style. It's all personal preference, some will think that maps which look more "natural" (less of a "square", looks nice but sometimes lacks playability) look better than the ones in say... Fire Red, but that's not entirely accurate. This isn't to say you should make huge empty maps with tile errors and call it a style, but hopefully you get what I mean. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

With this in mind: look at as many different maps as you can. Learn from them; learn their styles. You may not ever use XYZ style because it's not your favorite thing, but knowledge is power. You'll learn to develop your own style that works for you and your game overtime, don't rush it, it'll just happen.

My good friend Atomic Reactor (author of Pokemon Obsidian) is working on a video series intended to introduce and tutor new comers to the fan game scene. This video specifically is about mapping, and he raises a couple good points. Up to you if you'd like to watch, though.

That's all I have to say at the moment, though... I'll be keeping my eyes out for any maps posted by you so I can maybe give you some feedback. Cheers.