View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2013 (02:34 PM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Yuffie View Post
So some random college attendence statistics are supposed to convince us there isn't a war on women? Take a look at the states that want to ban abortion. Texas wants to ban all reproductive rights for women--not men. They're not trying to ban condoms, but any form of birth control for women? Yes. Not to mention products for menstruation because they don't even know what they're really for. We have men making laws about women's bodies, when it's been proven they don't know how reproduction even works. On top of all of this, they cut services that help low-income mothers. So don't tell me there isn't a war on women because there is.
There are certainly some problems with the law and the people making it. I wouldn't exactly call it a "war on women" any more than I would call many of the equally awful laws being levied against men a "war on men." I don't really like that term, wars require active participation by one side and are usually outright violent and this is neither (don't be so quick to ascribe to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity). The term "war" in this case just seems disingenuous, and implying things that are pretty obviously not true (like the people involved are evil warmongers instead of idiots parroting what their handlers tell them to) is unlikely to persuade people of anything good. That's just nitpicking, though.

Anyway, there are unfair laws being made against women, that much I think anyone can admit. There are also unfair laws being made against men, and what's more, while there's a general consensus that the unfair practices against women need to change, there is no such thing with those against men. In fact, many people would go so far as to deny such problems even exist or to persecute those advocating for mens' issues. The courts (including, but not limited to, the criminal justice system) especially seem content to keep their anti-male bias

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]