View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Deokishisu
Mr. Magius

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlachtli View Post
I'm trying to do an Emerald hack and see no one has successfully ported the sprites for Emerald yet (or at least done so and posted it here). I want to do it myself, but I have a question: what is the purpose of changing those first two bytes? I'm trying to find their Emerald equivalents, but no luck yet. I've tried putting read breaks on them in a FR rom, but never seem to trigger a read so I can't tell what they do.

I have an idea of numbers should work for BPEE, but since I haven't found the right address for the routine pointer in Emerald yet I haven't tested it:
Code:
.MoveBase:  .word 0x0831C898
.number: .word 0x00003258
.CurMoveIndex: .word 0x0201170C
.Move_List_Loc:  .word 0x0201042C
.VRAM:   .word 0x06001800  [1]
.SplitImages: .word 0x08E3CFB0 (just where I have it stored)
.Some_Offset: .word 0x0203cf1c  [2]
.Return_Addr: .word 0x081C3F6C  [2]
[1] I assume this is empty VRAM used to store the sprites? It doesn't seem to be used in a clean rom.
[2] I have potential 2 addresses in mind here, but I haven't been able to test to see which works, if at all.

Also I've been looking at the logistics of it, and I'm trying to decide where the sprite would look best. The Emerald move screen isn't as accommodating as the FR one.

EDIT: So in a huge oversight, I forgot that names could be longer than Raichu's... :/ Looks like 2 may be the better option, although I don't really like the positioning of it. That, or maybe print it over the little markings above the Poke portrait; I dunno about you guys, but I have literally never used the markings before.

Honestly? I'd make a smaller icon and slap it in that gap after "POWER". That seems the most intuitive to me anyway, as, with the icon, it'll read "POWER (Physical)" "POWER (Special)" if you're looking at it. Plus, those icons are unnecessarily huge as it is. They certainly don't have to be that big on our tiny GBA screen.

EDIT: I took a minute and shrunk down the icons. I literally just took them in horizontally by six pixels and fixed up the special one so that it's centered. The icon image is set up so that it can be pasted directly over the one Darth provided, if you've already inserted it. It's attached to this post now, along with a mockup of how it would look next to POWER (with the base image shamelessly stolen from your post).
Attached Images
File Type: png Tiny Icons.png‎ (500 Bytes, 27 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: png Tiny Icons Mockup.png‎ (7.8 KB, 73 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by Deokishisu; August 11th, 2013 at 06:08 AM.