View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2013 (06:39 PM).
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Quote originally posted by Cutlerine:
Sounds like English was approached differently at my school than it was at you guys'; with us, we'd read a book and the class would analyse it among ourselves as we went along, taking it in whatever direction we wanted, and occasionally directed a bit by the teacher. I guess that's probably why I love taking literature apart and putting it back together again; I was taught to do it for fun, in the context of a lively debate among a group of people having a good time. There was never more than a little prod in terms of direction from the teacher, and by the end of the year we'd invented more than enough material to pass our exams by ourselves - we just had to sort through it all and see what fitted the themes we were supposed to be studying.
This actually reminded me of something that happened my junior year of high school. My class went through two teachers that year too, and the first one had us read Ethan Frome. At the end, the only time we discussed symbolism found in the book was when the teacher assigned us a project to find our own symbolism. She didn't tell us anything. My group did a project that focused on the mention of Orion in a scene in the book, and the teacher loved how we reached that conclusion on our own. It was way more fun discovering it on our own than being told what the symbolism was.

I can't believe I forgot that.

Slayr, that sounds like me. I like writing, but when forced to do it, I just loathe it. The only school papers I could finish easily were ones where I was more free in what to write about or how to write it.

Igloo (can I call you Igloo? I'll call you Igloo), post your story here! You can get some feedback on your writing all while clearing misconceptions about wolves. It's a win-win situation!