View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2013 (12:42 PM). Edited August 23rd, 2013 by The Dark Avenger.
Vengeance is Vine
Nature: Adamant
Originally Posted by SinfulGuroRose View Post
Can I get some advice about colleges?

I live in Arkansas, and from what I've gathered, there are generally two types of colleges around here: expensive, 20k colleges and party colleges. I actually really, really want to go to Lyon, but $20k is way out of my range; if I want to go to college, I have to pay for it with financial aid, because I am flat out broke. I have a 29 on my ACT, which should pay off most lower universities, but I'm wondering if any of you know personally which colleges in the area have a generally hard working populace, but won't beat you with a rule book if you occasionally go to a party or something.

Another thing I really want to know about is, if all else should fail, what about colleges in Canada? I don't have family up there anymore, but all my uncles who lived there really enjoyed it, and I've heard tuition is much cheaper. What I don't know is, do ACTs transfer across national boundaries, or would I have to take the SAT? If the latter, would it be worth it?

Sorry I'm so long winded. U wU I'm just frazzing out about it.
Don't worry. In the US, accredited schools (don't go anywhere unaccredited) will accept either ACT and/or SAT scores when factoring in both your acceptance and financial aid offers.

A 29 is great!!! That is in the 93 percentile!!! You should be very proud. I scored a 28, accredited universities offered anywhere from 25-100% off, and I went to a more local state university to lower costs of living/housing and essentially receive free tuition/housing; as long as it was a state university, I was fine. Like you, I didn't have any finances, and I didn't want to accrue any debts with heavy student loans.

Depending upon your GPA, intended major, and high school courses, you may receive full-funding, if not substantial funding, like 75%. A smaller loan at a good university is worth more than free school at a community college as far as investments go.

What was your GPA and Highschool course load like?
So far, you seemed to be in great shape for financial aid offers.

Originally Posted by SupernovaTyphlosion View Post
So I just wrote this paragraph for my amazing girlfriend and I have never wrote anything like tbis before and woukd just like some feedback on it "

"Hey baby boo <3

When I met you, I never thought that we would ever be together, I instantly thought "that girl is too perfect for me*. You're funny, beautiful, incredible and too perfect to put into words. I don't know how I got you, maybe luck, I don't know. But what I do know is that I am happy that I am with you, and nobody else. My heart skips a beat when I think of you, and I get butterflies when I talk to you. And when I heard you singing...I melted inside. Your voice is angellic. You are angellic. Like a gift from heaven. When I talk to you, I can't help but smile, and when we're not talking, I can't help but think of you. I long for the day when we can actually be together, cuddling and kissing and doing cute stuff together. I don't know what I would do without you in my life. I love you more than words could ever explain. My heart beats for you, and only you. No other girls catch my eye any more because I already have perfection in my life. My mind goes all coo-coo when you tell how i'm perfect, when I know i'm not. But I still love it when you say i'm perfect. You're my girlfriend, and also the bestest friend I could ever ask for. I love you Grace, more than anyone or anything in the world. <3<3<3<3 :* "
Take this advice with a grain of salt. It might seem cold and heartless, but I am only telling you this from experience as well as reflection upon those experiences.

Long-distance online relationships are setup to fail. Beyond the importance of "is that what this person really looks like" of which popular media and shows like Catfish seem to emphasize most, there exists more troubling issues about who the person is aside from their physical appearance, which can be verified fairly simple with skype.

The issues are, people, including ourselves, want to present the best self they can. They often don't act as they would normally. Additionally, things that can be typed in a text or spoken into a phone may not reflect how we would express ourselves otherwise, in person. Let me tell you, the idea of the person is what we fall in love with, not the actual person. Words like, "I love you" are thrown around much easier and quicker in the online arena given how easy they are to type as oppose to utter in person. This can be dangerous to someone's self-esteem and emotions if the emotions are not legitimate once in-person. Just like we see more opinionated, confident, hateful, among other emotive speech online than we do in real life, simply because there exists that security of anonymity. It's almost like playing Sims online, we may be ourselves to a certain extent, but we cannot pick up on certain body languages or get a clear idea of who this person and how they react with others besides ourselves, we love the idea of the relationship, but it hasn't faced actual trials that couples face in real life. Lastly, it's the false information, that transcends physical appearance, that may be very troublesome. For instance, how do you this person is attending this or that college, has this or that job, is single, does or doesn't have kids, ect.? I would say, either meet this person and decide how you feel then so you can move on with your life whether it be strengthening that relationship or moving on with your life. I would just hold off on the emotional investment until then.

With all of that said, you are only 17! Be careful with any decisions you make.

Artwork by Fairy+