View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2013, 04:11 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Another way to think about it is that a chapter should be roughly like a tv series episode or the like. But there's usually multiple ways to split things up, haha.

Quote:
Sounds like English was approached differently at my school than it was at you guys'; with us, we'd read a book and the class would analyse it among ourselves as we went along, taking it in whatever direction we wanted, and occasionally directed a bit by the teacher. I guess that's probably why I love taking literature apart and putting it back together again; I was taught to do it for fun, in the context of a lively debate among a group of people having a good time. There was never more than a little prod in terms of direction from the teacher, and by the end of the year we'd invented more than enough material to pass our exams by ourselves - we just had to sort through it all and see what fitted the themes we were supposed to be studying.

We read all sorts, too. I think in the course of four years I studied The Canterbury Tales (with particular emphasis on "The Pardoner's Tale"), Macbeth, Hamlet, Frankenstein, Dubliners, Things Fall Apart, Enduring Love, The Merchant of Venice, The Great Gatsby, a selection of poems by Tennyson, and more poems that I don't remember. The main point is, pretty much all of our material we developed ourselves, which I think is a pretty good way to study English and sharpen your critical skills, and probably why I'm about to head off to uni to study English Literature now.
I am kinda envious. :<

Let's see... in my high school years, we covered from Shakespeare A Midsummer's Night Dream, Macbeth, As You Like It, King Lear, Romeo and Juliet and The Tragedy of Julius Caesar. One for each year. We applied various themes to them like feminism and etc, even if they didn't quite fit too well. =/ We didn't have too much freedom - maybe some, but a lot was 'right, here's these themes. You can see this by ___' - the themes more assigned to us than us coming up with them. My year 11/12 teacher was better than others though.

Other non-shakespeare works include The Canterbury Tales (although mostly just one story from that and only in extension English! - we also did The Road and part of The Odyssey in that), Heart of Darkness, Bridge to Terabirthia, Frankenstein (but not the book, more movies of that...), poetry extending as far as Wordsworth and friends and... more modern ones or Aboriginal poets mostly doing the same theme. On that note every year in English we also did a major study of an Aboriginal work, and I don't have much against the idea if only they didn't seem to keep choosing subpar works from that range! =|

We only started touching creative writing in year 10, and again in year 12. By then forums had taught me everything that was covered in the course, and more. Plus creative writing over here isn't so fun when you're told to work off a specific theme and whatnot.

I guess I'm still disappointed/bitter by the English schooling system over here. =p

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific