Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:11 PM
Flushed
down the drain.
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Flushed
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVida View Post
Going on, the Internet seems like a great invention for people that are shy or introverted. You can talk to all kinds of people online, find friends etc. At first sight, this seems like a great thing. But only, if those shy people actually get up and meet those friends offline. But the Internet seems so convenient (you can sit at home while talking to people online), many will grow so comfortable that they don't actually go out and meet others anymore. This makes people even more distant from one another.
I agree with you for the most part, that is, up until this paragraph. One doesn't necessarily have to get up and meet their online friends for it to be a legitimate friendship. The internet is great for introverts because they can be themselves without worrying about being judged or even physically abused. Many people say "Oh, just go out and meet people," but in reality that's not in the realm of possibility for a lot of people. To be able to find some social outlet is extremely important. Even though the internet may not be a person in the flesh, it is better than solitude (in the case of those wanting to be social).

The ability to connect people is still there. I don't think just because kids get smart phones they stop talking to friends on the bus. And let's not forget about all of the people you would've never seen or spoken too again had it not been for Facebook and other social media, not to mention the people you never would've met.

As for the completely autonomous lifestyle, I think, just like people thought robots are taking over the human race, that this technology won't get too out of hand.

Sure the internet has had a negative impact on society. But I think the positives easily outweigh those. It's almost like the car. More deaths have been caused by cars than one can even count, yet we depend on them.