View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2013 (4:25 PM).
Quote originally posted by zakisrage:
One thing that I think is a negative effect of the Internet is the ridiculous amount of racist websites. Australia is full of hate sites, mainly run by 60-year-old lowlives who are proud to be descended from convicts. One I remember actually lamented that Australia's white population was declining.

Then you get crap like Stormfront, which glorifies the Nazis. Stormfront users are even worse, and some have been linked to hate crimes.

The worst is the plethora of Islamophobic websites, like Faith Freedom International, Jihad Watch, Dhimmi Watch, Westboro Baptist (who hate everyone who isn't them), Bare Naked Islam, and the sites of the English Defence League and Debbie Schlussel. These people are all so annoying and should get punished.
Probably unintentionally, this post illustrates what is, to me, one of the worst side effects of the internet.

Lots of people look for other people to hate, and the internet makes hate easy. The internet has made it just that much easier for people to find other people to hate, since it not only provides an echo chamber for those who wish to hate, but provides an echo chamber, and a notable lack of criticism, for those who wish to hate the haters. So for every hate-filled bigot, there's a hate-filled bigot-hater. It seems that at this point, if I'm not reading screeching bile FROM bigots, I'm reading screeching bile ABOUT bigots. It's either their blithering hatred or the blithering hatred of their opponents, which means that it's hatred either way. And all that really does is increase the amount of hatred in the world.