Thread: [Demo] Berathen Spirit Detective
View Single Post
Old September 4th, 2013 (05:59 PM).
Water Pokémon Master

Send a message via AIM to Venks Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venks Send a message via Yahoo to Venks
Quote originally posted by Saving Raven:
wow, thats a really interesting game Idea, I know a lot of people who love professor layton and phoenix wright - I personally never tried them, but I hear they're good, so it's interesting to see a game in a similar light, especially one with heavy RPG qualities

as for the "specific information" thing, it's difficult to actually implement well as you'd need to have it so there's room for error - iunno from the screenshot exactly, but if the player can enter in both caps and lowercase, you need to have the answers accept both, or specify whether or not you should use a specific type of input, such as no spaces, or all caps, etc - also spelling might be an issue

aside from the implementing probs, it's a very good idea, and would add more challenge to a puzzle game - also it would make the game feel more "real" as the player would have to actually "talk" using their own words
I have thing for games that make the player think. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed steathily getting headshots with my bow and arrow in the new Tomb Raider game, but I do enjoy mental puzzles as well and wish for more games like that. As for the implementation it'll be something like this:

optionSelected=optionSelected.toLowerCase(); //every answer is turned into lowercase
if (optionSelected=="42" || optionSelected==“forty two”) write(“Guard”,“That is the correct answer!”,0);
else write(“Guard”,“Um. Did you even read that book I gave you?”,0);

Quote originally posted by joeyhugg:
Yeah, typos and caps are a big issue. But if you can get around that, the system would work! I can't wait to play more!
Haha typos will be a problem. As you can tell with that screen shot. I misspelled forty two as "fourty two". I think I'll do a lot of play testing and see what words get misspelled the most and try to work those in as well.
Also I'm really glad you liked my demo. I'll definitely throw a build that I'm working on at you when I get something interesting to show off.

I make games and write gaming discussion articles. Check them out!