View Single Post
Old September 7th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Magic

What is your full name?
Lady Maylene Ling.

When and where were you born?
I was born in the great city, Ba Sing Se, just short of 60 years ago. You younguns are sly if you think you can just ask a woman about her age.

Who are/were your parents?
Unfortunately, both of my parents have departed this life. My father, Lord Wo, was a councilman - serving the king in running the city. I think I probably inherited my strong will from him, even for an Earthbender he was quite stubborn.

My mother was a village refugee, she always used to tell me about arriving in the big city with nothing more than a slice of bread. To earn money she worked double shifts at the infirmary, refusing to leave until she couldn't physically stand - eventually, her hard work paid off. She was a fantastic nurse.

My parents met when my father thought he had a severe case of foxhare-pox. Turned out it was just a rash, it was probably just some ploy to talk to the attractive head nurse.

Do you have any family other than your parents?
My grandparents were an important feature in my upbringing, often looking after me when my parents were away on official business - but they never had any other children. I didn't mind being an only child, the bustling city was more than enough company.

Any story from the past you'd like to share with us?
Oh, the stories I could tell you. You will have to be more specific, child, if you're planning on going home later.

Where do you live in, and with whom? Describe the person/people.
It's just me now. The house is far to big for one person, I wish they were still here. I guess all children have to grow up at some point. I would rather just stay out the house, there are too many memories here - I sleep, eat and go out, it's just not our home anymore.

What do you do for a living?
Like my father, I work for the city. I manage Ba Sing Se's finances and relations with the capital, as I've gotten older I've gained a lot of assistants though - I must admit they do most of the work these days. I'm hoping to get relocated soon, although maybe it's too late for me to start over now.

Do you have any special abilities?
I'm a bender, another trait undoubtedly passed down to me. I've never felt the need to train my talents, past my teenage years, so I'm a little out of practice now - earthbending was rarely useful to me, other than helping me reach the top shelf.

I suppose my other special ability is my account management, some how I've managed to keep this extravagant city out of debt for the last few decades. Even the Avatar couldn't do that, I bet.

Tell us more of your appearance. Height, weight, race, hair and eye color, style of dress, any tattoos, scars, or distinguishing marks, these kind of things.
I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. I promise you, back in the day I was an attractive girl - I had all the noble boys falling over, just for a chance for a dance. I guess the years haven't been kind, I'm slowly losing the little height I had and keep getting told I'm "wasting away". People can be so charming these days(!).

My hair has been grey longer than I can remember now, I'd like to say it was because of wisdom, but I'd imagine there are other reasons.

To which social class do you belong?
I was fortunate enough to be raised a noble. My father's status meant my life has been luxurious, and led to me easily securing a job myself. I've been extremely lucky with my upbringing and the opportunities it has given me.

Do you have any allergies, diseases or physical weaknesses?
Is this another age question? I'd like to say I'm fighting fit, but that might be a slight exaggeration. I can move at a leisurely pace, you won't see me running anywhere anymore - and if there's any heavy lifting to be done it is best I leave it to you boys.

What does your voice sound like?
What a peculiar question. I'm not sure what you mean, I probably sound like all the other ladies of Ba Sing Se.

What do you have in your pockets?
I'm afraid I don't have anything in my pockets - my dress doesn't even have any. Any money I need is always in my handbag - a small leather purse with intricate, woven details. It was my mothers, from long ago, I always loved the emerald green of the threading.