View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Cutlerine
Gone. May or may not return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post
I'm wondering, how much do you guys review the stories of others here compared to how much you post your own?
Honestly? Not at all enough. I'm speaking for myself here, but I suspect a lot of other people are the same.

It sounds like a terrible thing to say, but it's probably because of the similarity of errors across the board - many of the stories here that are flawed have the same flaws, most of which could be fixed with just a little research into grammar and some careful thought on the part of the writers about the story they're trying to tell. There's also more than a few stories that try too hard to be writerly, which is always vaguely painful to read.

I feel very bad for pointing all these things out, and the feeling's compounded when I realise that I'd have to repeat them over and over. So I guess the infrequency of my reviews is sort of down to guilt - that, and the fact that I know I'm not a particularly good editor or reviewer, so I know I'll mostly be pointing out obvious flaws rather than giving any really constructive criticism.

Frankly, I think people posting here deserve better reviews than that, and so mostly I abstain from giving them. Although I suppose at this point, people are glad to receive any response to their work at all.

Edit: Ooh, I just noticed this was my thousandth post. Hooray for life's small achievements!

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.

Last edited by Cutlerine; September 15th, 2013 at 03:23 AM.