View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2013 (03:02 AM). Edited September 15th, 2013 by Cutlerine.
Cutlerine
Gone. May or may not return.

Quote originally posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers:
I'm wondering, how much do you guys review the stories of others here compared to how much you post your own?
Honestly? Not at all enough. I'm speaking for myself here, but I suspect a lot of other people are the same.

It sounds like a terrible thing to say, but it's probably because of the similarity of errors across the board - many of the stories here that are flawed have the same flaws, most of which could be fixed with just a little research into grammar and some careful thought on the part of the writers about the story they're trying to tell. There's also more than a few stories that try too hard to be writerly, which is always vaguely painful to read.

I feel very bad for pointing all these things out, and the feeling's compounded when I realise that I'd have to repeat them over and over. So I guess the infrequency of my reviews is sort of down to guilt - that, and the fact that I know I'm not a particularly good editor or reviewer, so I know I'll mostly be pointing out obvious flaws rather than giving any really constructive criticism.

Frankly, I think people posting here deserve better reviews than that, and so mostly I abstain from giving them. Although I suppose at this point, people are glad to receive any response to their work at all.

Edit: Ooh, I just noticed this was my thousandth post. Hooray for life's small achievements!

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.