Old September 15th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfox View Post
With all the talk of the Kalos starters, I thought it'd be cool to revisit previous generations and discuss which starter Pokémon are our favorites, and which ones are our least favorites.

I'll start first.

Favorites: Its a tie between Typhlosion and Samurott, with Infernape as a close second favorite
  • Cyndaquil was the first starter I ever chose back in Pokémon Silver. Therefore, its a special one to me. I also like the rest of the Johnto starters, but Typhlosion was a beast. I remember being 9 years old and calling up my best friend at the time to tell him how my Quilava had just evolved into a Typhlosion. Ah, good times.
  • Samurott is also one of my favorites just...because. His design is awesome. I find it so cool that a starter that everyone thought was the ugliest of them all (Oshawott) turned out to have the coolest final form out of all the Unova starters. He's also a very reliable battler. Pretty much a very dependable powerhouse.
  • Infernape. I love the design. That cool flaming Hanuman style. Plus, Chimchar is just...so unique among the starters, in my opinion. I would never have imagined a starter Pokémon based on a chimp or monkey. I would have thought that any sort of primate was too human-like for them, as the starters were traditionally based on animals a little lower on the evolutionary tree like lizards, turtles, chickens, and crocodiles.

Least Favorites: Venusaur and Emboar
  • I know Venusaur gets a lot of love, but its not one of my favorites. Its not bad at all, but its just...okay. I'd much rather have Charizard or Blastoise. I think the real problem I have with Venusaur is that the Bulbasaur evolutionary family shows the least transformation along its evolutionary line of any of the Kanto starters. I mean, Venusaur is really just a bigger, fatter, more intimidating version of Bulbasaur, with a big flower on its back instead of a bulb. Charizard and Blastoise at least show marked change from their original forms, changing in color, size, and even basic body structure.
  • Emboar just looks ridiculous and its not that reliable of a battler. It looks like it should be a powerhouse, but its not. Plus the fact that its the THIRD Fire/Fighting starter doesn't really endear me to it either.
Congrats on being selected as the first Poll of the Week here in Pokemon Voting Polls! This is the type of thread that suits PVP perfectly- asking a multi-answer question that gives members a good chance to talk about their likes and dislikes, but gives them a chance to expand on that as well.

Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: DARK // NORMAL