View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2013 (09:10 AM). Edited October 18th, 2013 by SpokeyDokey.
SpokeyDokey

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumpyfoof View Post
Do you think you could have a synthetic best friend? Not in that you pay for him but you meet the same as any normal person would knowing that he is incapable of real physical emotion only what it is dictated to do as a response.

And to further on this, could you love a robot? Could you see yourself developing such an attachment that you would date a robot?

... What do you guys think? Love yay or nay? Or do you see them for what they ultimately are and that is a tool used to simplify your life? Would you consider them as a real member of our society?
Do you think that they could ever develop their own program that likens to emotions and therefore love you back?
In post-modern society, is this not already the case? I understand that the topic at hand is meant to address "robots" by the terms denotative definition, but given how technology has already integrated itself into modernity and how the school systems (at least here in America) are failing are we not every day already in correspondence with "robots", i.e., people?

By virtue of this, I do believe people can and ultimately will fall romantically in love with actual robots. If a deep and more the right type of affection is felt for something sentient or non-sentient, existing or non-existing, it will simplify one's life. It goes without saying that as a vital part of a functioning society (in the future) they would be real members of that society. Whether or not they can develop emotions depends on the programming, would it not?

I have not read everyone's post here, but what you seem to be indirectly discussing is The Singularity. If you are interested, here is a link to the Wikipedia page. The Singularity posits notions both more complex and more tangible than the ones presented in the OP.

And here is a relevant YouTube video: