Thread: [Discussion] Public Transportation
View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2014, 07:17 PM
\/
Grey Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigonite View Post
I decided to start a thread on public transportation because other threads kind of got out of hand.

Anyways, the United States is one of the few developed nations with a poor public transportation system. Almost everything is privatized through bus, train or airplane services. What is your opinion on this? Do you think that the US should invest in public transportation for, say, bullet trains across the United States?

I for one would think that high speed trains would help businesses expand greatly as well as reduce shipping costs for smaller items at least. However, implementation is difficult, so I think it would be hard to pull off without some serious pulling together.
There was a plan to have high-speed rail across the US, its falling apart due to the realities of how American cities are set up:

1) Distance. Most American cities outside of the Northeast are too far apart to justify traveling on a 250 MPH train vs a 550 MPH plane.

2) Car-oriented urban development. Assuming you could take a bullet train from one car-oriented city to another, you would have to rent a car or take a taxi to get around from there. Most people that use public transportation can't or don't want to get around by car in the first place.