• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Ace_Attorney_5_cover.jpg

The game is coming out in about 4 more days! Is anyone willing or wanting to pick up this next Ace Attorney Video Game? Well, I,of course, am very excited about this game, so, I'm aming to get it! A small downside is that this is only an digital release outside Japan, so, it's... a real bummer if you want a physical release. However, I do hope that you'll all enjoy this game if you're picking this up!

Any thoughts / hopes / ideas you'd like to share?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I wasn't a huuuge fan of the demo (I don't really like the emotions gimmick compared to other gimmicks in the series so far) when I played it a few months ago but I'm still really excited to pick up this game. I... don't know when I'll have the chance though. Since it's only out on eShop, I have to get ahold of a North American 3DS to play it. My roommates both have a 3DS but since Pokémon just came out, they're both attached to them after not touching them at all for a year. ;_;! So I'm really worried they'll both still be addicted come Thursday. I... I only need to borrow the console for like a weekend though! I really hope I can play it on release day so I can power through without worrying about spoilers online. D:

I didn't bother playing it in Japanese (my 3DS is Japanese which is the root of my issues xD) because A) the language level was a bit too high for me and it would've taken me absolutely forever and, B) the localization in these games is always SO PHENOMENAL and I'd rather experience them in English to fully appreciate that. (The characters are fundamentally the same but Phoenix is much more snarky than Naruhodo in my experience. ♥)

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
That I'll be so glad I can pick it up on the afternoon of the 23rd because my eShop is set to the European Central Time :'D I'll probably set Y aside until I have finished the game, so you can get an idea of how much I want to play it!

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I'm pretty worried about their not being enough memory on my card to download this. I haven't been though the figures or anything, but I know Pokemon takes up a lot of space.

That being said, this is probably one of the more anticipated releases for me. There were three reasons I got a 3DS, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and now Phoenix Wright.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Cornered and Cross-examination for me. Also, Apollo Justice's Objection theme. We need to talk about this. It's better than Phoenix's. .-.

I dunno if it's better than Phoenix's, but it's definitely tied, in my opinion~ I do love the remix. <3

Years
I never played a Phoenix Wright game, but I really enjoyed the demo, and while I might not be picking up Dual Destinies right away, I might be looking into getting one of the older games. (It seems like there is a cohesive storyline I might want to catch up on for some context)

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
The game is officially out!

Is anyone else playing, or downloading the game? :3 Riiight now I'm still on Case 1~

Cherrim

Years
I was really disappointed this didn't get a midnight release but apparently that only happens for first party titles outside of Japan. Oh well. Set my alarm for when it was due to come out and downloaded it the moment it was up, anyway! I'm only a little ways into the first case right now because I had classes today but now I'm free till Tuesday so I'm set to play nonstop. I want to finish this well before then, though, because my EXTREMELY AWESOME ROOMMATE let me borrow his 3DS for this even though he's right in the midst of Pokémon and I am so super grateful and don't want to keep him waiting to get back to his game. ;w;

I'm pretty impressed so far! Probably the thing that's amazing me the most is how good the game looks with 3D on. It's the first 3DS game I've played that genuinely looks a LOT better when you play in 3D and the 3D doesn't make me sick or give me a headache. It just looks great. I think they compensated for the loss of saturation from turning 3D up by just over-saturating the characters a little bit otherwise but since I'm actually playing with the 3D, I don't mind. I didn't bother with 3D at all when I played the demo each time and my opinion of the graphics suffered a little bit because of it but now with the actual game, I'm very pleased with them. ♥

Also I played Tales of Xillia too recently so whenever Phoenix OBJECTS in court, I keep hearing Jude since they share a voice actor and sjfelsjle i want crossovers now lmaoo

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Whew, I can honestly say that I really enjoyed this game, and it was worth the wait, imo! To those who are currently, or are playing it, what do you think of the new characters?

Years
I should probably pick this up as Ace Attorney is one of my favourite series and it's half the price of a usual new release. My only problem is I need to budget for other things this month so I guess I need to choose what to prioritise. I'm happy to see you guys enjoyed it though so at least I wouldn't be wasting my money on a poor game.

Anyone who has played it, how do you think it compares with the first four games (I haven't played either Edgeworth game)?

Cherrim

Years
I'm just gonna go right ahead and say I'm really disappointed that they took out the ability to examine every room. :( The commentary that came from it was one of my favourite things about these games and it feels really empty without it.
Whew, I can honestly say that I really enjoyed this game, and it was worth the wait, imo! To those who are currently, or are playing it, what do you think of the new characters?
I like Athena a lot--I was worried about her because I didn't really think they needed to introduce any new characters at this point but I think she fits in really well and I've enjoyed every scene with her so far. So far, though, none of the other newly introduced characters (ie the case-specific characters) are really interesting. I'm not a huge fan of the Detective this time around (although he is kind of growing on me?). I like Blackquill but only because he's such a weeaboo and it's funny, haha.
I should probably pick this up as Ace Attorney is one of my favourite series and it's half the price of a usual new release. My only problem is I need to budget for other things this month so I guess I need to choose what to prioritise. I'm happy to see you guys enjoyed it though so at least I wouldn't be wasting my money on a poor game.

Anyone who has played it, how do you think it compares with the first four games (I haven't played either Edgeworth game)?
I think the original games are a lot better, honestly. This one is still good--it can't not be good, it's an Ace Attorney game--but I haven't found myself nearly as hooked on this one as any of the others. I'm on case 4 out of... 5, I believe? Part of it may be that I'm rushing it whereas I took as much time as I wanted on previous games but I still think I'm going slower than every other game simply because I'm not as invested in it.

It's got some really great lines and you should definitely get it eventually but if you have to watch your budget really closely, I think the game is something that can wait a while until you have the extra money for it. :P The last case is usually the best in all these games and I'm not there yet but right now I'd probably say it's my least favourite of the main Ace Attorney games. :( Admittedly, I don't know if my opinion is the common one though!

Ivysaur

Years
I miss being able to examine Charley :( And I find the episodes featuring Phoenix to be more interesting than the other two. Maybe it's just that I-don't-like-Apollo-that-much and I feel much better having him as a plot device than as the main character, but eh. Athena is great but the fact that she works both as protagonist and snarky female sidekick means Trucy isn't getting any more than a couple lines per episode.

Also the new detective seems rather bland until he suffers from a severe case of character developmenitis in episode 4. I really wish we could have had more, uh, info about the "underlying arc", as in Investigations where episode was somehow related to the smuggling ring, but I guess that's a common thing in most Phoenix games. At least case 3 is not the want-to-murder-the-writer boring thing all Case 3's were known for.

Years
That's probably to be expected Lightning so I think I'll still pick it up at some point then, probably in December.

Apollo is one of my favourite characters (probably because I played his game first then played the first three) so I doubt I will find many complaints about him being in the game too much.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I find a lot of this game is geared more towards nostalgia than anything. But I can't complain. I honestly don't like the new voice actors though. I'm pretty sure Athena is Haruhi, which is really weird.

As far as cases go, I'm only on the 3rd one (beginning of the case), but I'm so confused as to the relationship between this and the first case. Hopefully it becomes clear.

Ivysaur

Years
I just finished the game and I have to say, I know it's not necessary and the story is well tied enough as it is, but...

Spoiler:

Also when I read the line "I have to get ready for when Maya comes back to the office", I made a very strange noise I didn't know I could make.

Years
I literally haven't played any other game since I got this on release day. I'm some way into case five at this point, and I'm going to avoid revealing anything... but I'm loving things so far. It's going to be interesting to see how everything comes together in case five to what I'm expecting to be a climactic ending. That said, hopefully we can look forward to playing the DLC case soon!

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Just finished the game. Started out kinda meh, but I really enjoyed it in the end. Sure they left a lot of stuff hanging in the end, but hopefully we get DLC or some more clarification.

Spoiler:

Back