• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Up above the sky!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hiiro in another thread reminded me of my desires for this. So as we all know, in Unova, we actually got to fly in a plane. In the trailer we saw Yveltal flying in the sky, and Xerneas on the ground, which suggests that Yveltal could be air-based. If that's the case, how will we catch it? Would you like to be able to use an Air Balloon, Plane, maybe even battle Pokemon in the sky, or even sky dive? How possible do you think this is? What else would you like to see in the sky? Would you like the sky to become an important theme again, as in Unova the city/town names were named after clouds, so maybe that's a hint to the sky having a bigger part to play in these games. Share yo thoughts.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Nono, I meant... what if we could use an Air Balloon for example and travel to the sky, and see like, cities in the sky, catch Pokemon flying past clouds? Things like that. And also whether we'll even be able to journey to the sky - would the sky actually hold any sort of secrets that we could uncover? How high could we go? Because I personally find the limits of the sky quite... interesting.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Well Ho-oh and Lugia are flying pokemon too, but they came down to rest on an area of some importance. I think it was similar for Rayquaza too wasn't it?

It'll probably be the same situation here.

Autaven

Gamer Girl
Years
I agree that they would probably come down to rest for catching, however I do like this idea. It wouldn't be too difficult to do some sort of routes which act the same way that surfing does - only in the air?? Would be nice!

Student D1

De-Wott?
Years
Well, it'd be wonderful to finally use the sky as routes. I'm not sure though about cities and/or towns being seen in the sky. (Could you explain to me 'bout that?) A hot air balloon would be a good for transportation in the skies, so that we'd get to feel the clouds and the breeze, but I was thinking that it'd also make HM Fly useful, other than going to different town and cities. I imagine that when we are under a shadow of a cloud, we could use Fly to go up to the sky (pretty much like how we can use Dive when were on top of deep water; it'll serve as a second outside effect. I'm also thinking of having wind currents, such as currents in water routes (like in Unova Route 17), to give a sort of puzzle. That'd be interesting. I also think that the items we'll be getting in the sky are mostly Wings.

I wouldn't mind about battling and catching Pokémon in the sky. I think that would be really cool. :) Not sure if it'll be like the water or caves, where Pokémon will appear wherever you are, unlike in ground, you'll only encounter them in patches of grass. I think they'll be encountered when we're in or on the clouds.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
That would be fantastic. Can't you do that in one of the Pokemon Ranger games? Go up in the sky, I mean? It's strange, but I've been captivated by cities in the sky, flying, and things of the like (fictionally, of course xD). It doesn't seem... realistic, but neither is surfing on a Lickylicky while fighting a Tentacruel with a Charmeleon. At least in the sky, clouds could serve as a makeshift platform. I think it would awesome. And why not have floating cities or islands? An island held up by balloons? Anything like that. I'd be all for it.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
It'd definitely be a cool innovation to have a sky route in the game, where you can only travel via a mechanical method like you're mentioning, or on top of a Flying Pokémon (of course, using Fly would still act as it has in the past, but this one route would be different). It'd definitely be cool to see different Pokémon flying around in the sky with you as you pass through clouds. Maybe have the clouds be like the tall grass on a normal route, and that's where you could encounter a Pokémon?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Sky route in the sky and walking on clouds like Mario games where you have a world in the sky.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
That would be fantastic. Can't you do that in one of the Pokemon Ranger games? Go up in the sky, I mean? It's strange, but I've been captivated by cities in the sky, flying, and things of the like (fictionally, of course xD). It doesn't seem... realistic, but neither is surfing on a Lickylicky while fighting a Tentacruel with a Charmeleon. At least in the sky, clouds could serve as a makeshift platform. I think it would awesome. And why not have floating cities or islands? An island held up by balloons? Anything like that. I'd be all for it.

I agree! Like, flying in the sky has always been... idk, there's so much potential for it to be really interesting in games, etc. I'm kind of thinking that if it is a city in the clouds it'd be kind of like the one in MLP (hopefully someone viewing this thread watches it and knows what I'm on about!) Because a city made of clouds? Yeees please. And then Pokemon to catch in the route after, omgg.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Id seriously love to be able to fly on a Pokemon to a sky area possibly to catch Yveltal and explore. The 3DS's graphics offer a lot of potential for something like this and it's never before happened. I honestly think it would be an awesome feature. We got to explore underwater, why not now the skies?

Guy

just a guy
Years
I agree! Like, flying in the sky has always been... idk, there's so much potential for it to be really interesting in games, etc. I'm kind of thinking that if it is a city in the clouds it'd be kind of like the one in MLP (hopefully someone viewing this thread watches it and knows what I'm on about!) Because a city made of clouds? Yeees please. And then Pokemon to catch in the route after, omgg.
I mentioned having a city in the sky a long time ago as a place for Eevee to evolve into Sylveon if it is indeed a Flying type. Overall the idea of having a sky route seems illogical, because unlike land that has roads and trails to follow, the sky is an open canvas. There are no blocks or limits to prevent you from freely moving anywhere in the sky. However, for the sake of keeping the player on a steady path and not straying far off, I'd love for a sky route to be included as a way to reach a city in the sky or just a highly elevated location.

I'd even settle for a simple cutscene of the protagonist and Pokémon flying really. It would just be a nice change of scenery and area to explore.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Maybe to give them limitations they could use inclement weather as a way to block the sky off from infinite exploration? Like to limit the routes in random directions there are storm clouds that you wouldn't be able to traverse through because it'd be dangerous?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I mentioned having a city in the sky a long time ago as a place for Eevee to evolve into Sylveon if it is indeed a Flying type. Overall the idea of having a sky route seems illogical, because unlike land that has roads and trails to follow, the sky is an open canvas. There are no blocks or limits to prevent you from freely moving anywhere in the sky. However, for the sake of keeping the player on a steady path and not straying far off, I'd love for a sky route to be included as a way to reach a city in the sky or just a highly elevated location.

I'd even settle for a simple cutscene of the protagonist and Pokémon flying really. It would just be a nice change of scenery and area to explore.

We could just... walk on clouds literally. Pokemon's done strange things and I don't see why we can't walk on clouds in the sky if we got like, flying shoes or something. :x

Years
I saw someone's interpretation of a sky route on deviantArt. Here it is. There are dark clouds to form the edges of the route, white clouds to act like tall grass, and open air to act as the regular ground. It looks pretty good. I could see something like this in an official game quite easily.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
That's amazing! And think of that with 3D - it could become even better, especially as the day goes on and you see the sun going down and the horizon as you fly with your Pokemon asdfghjk I can imagine it!! Something like that would be how they'd most likely do it though, yeah.

Pinta77

It would be hella cool to see free roam of the skies in a pokemon game. But i think it's more realistic that you'll catch him when he lands on the ground =/

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
OH MY GOD. Don't say things like this, you're raising my hopes so high...and I am just sure that they'll be dashed somehow. My absolute DREAM is for there to be some sort of flying city, or airship or Jack-and-the-Beanstalk style floating islandor something, and...OOH, what if it was STEAMPUNK? ASDFGHJKL THAT WOULD BE EPIC!!!!!!!1!1!! See look what you did, now you made me go nuts.

At the very least, I hope that when you fly, there would be a chance to run into a Pokemon along the way. That would be cute. But in truth I'm hoping for so much more~

Years
At the very least, I hope that when you fly, there would be a chance to run into a Pokemon along the way.
Oh, I really hope they don't do this. I think it's bad enough that all water is like tall grass and you can have wild Pokemon jump out at you. (Personally, I would like to see "safe" water.) Give a flying route, yes, but please don't throw wild Pokemon at me when I'm trying to fly away.

Warship

異議あり!
Years
that would be really cool but i don't want to set my hopes too far as i don't want to be disappointed. still it would cool but there is no evidence that it will be and what's more they would have showed that on the trailer.

Back