• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluestars83

Your friendly neighborhood Ace Trainer :)
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 6, 2016
I'm having trouble understanding the whole perfect IVs business. I find it kinda difficult to get, as I'm easily confused. I'm playing Y and currently breeding Charmanders to get a shiny. But during this process I always look at the summaries of the hatched batches and I see that the stats of some of them have 6's down the board, where other Charmanders stats are 5's and 6's. Are these the IVs I hear about and if they are how are they meant to reach 31 on a newly hatched level 1 Pokemon?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I'm having trouble understanding the whole perfect IVs business. I find it kinda difficult to get, as I'm easily confused. I'm playing Y and currently breeding Charmanders to get a shiny. But during this process I always look at the summaries of the hatched batches and I see that the stats of some of them have 6's down the board, where other Charmanders stats are 5's and 6's. Are these the IVs I hear about and if they are how are they meant to reach 31 on a newly hatched level 1 Pokemon?

No, stats are different from IVs - stats can be trained as you level up the Pokemon while IVs are like the genetics of a Pokemon; they are born with them and cannot be changed ever, and the only way to have a perfect 5IV Pokemon is by breeding a lot. Generally, the idea is to take two Pokemon with a couple perfect IVs and breed them, hoping they'll pass down their good genes, and repeat until the final offspring has all 5 IVs. Destiny Knot is useful here, as the parent holding it will pass down 5 IVs.

To know the IVs of your Pokemon, the quickest way to do so is to ask the man in the Kiloude City Pokemon Centre - he's kind of vague and won't tell you the exact IVs in numbers, but will give you a good idea of which, if any, perfect IVs your Pokemon has. there's a formula and method for calculating IVs yourself, but I've personally never tried it.

Here's a guide on breeding 5IV Pokemon, if you're interested (probably explains it a lot better than I do) :
http://i.imgur.com/NtqXPT6.jpg

But in short, to answer your question: No, the stats you see are not IVs.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm not sure if this is the right place but what can be a good moveset for my 5IV(no HP IV) Absol? And what EV can I train best with it?

Try teaching Swords Dance, Sucker Punch, Superpower, and Night Slash. After one use Swords Dance, Absol would be able to taken down almost any opponents that go up against it. Go with either Adamant or Jolly for nature (I'd go with Jolly, personally), and as for EVs, try 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe. Make sure to make it hold Life Orb, by the way. d:

Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2014
Hello, could you please tell me if I can get any reward for clearing dungeons (going through all floors) in Explorers of sky? There is sometimes treasure, but is there anything else for it?
Thanks

Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 26, 2015
Ok I have a question for you later generation pokefans, Ive been playing pokemon since the Red, Blue days but stopped at Emerald. FR LG was a nice nostalgic update and I did play a little of SS (Gen 4) but my emulator, DeSmuME, kept loading a black screen after I beat the 4th gym so stopped bothering. I was put off the later games because it was just so many new pokemon to learn and assumed they were recycling old pokemon under different names and basically running out of original ideas. I have now had a change of heart (mainly beacause I know the old ones back to front) and am thinking of trying the newer generation.

Sooo what game do you recommend and why? Should I go Gen 4, then Gen5, then Gen6 or just jump straight to 6 (if atall)? Also is there a decent emulator to play these on?

Just to note I am not intending to battle competitively and have never been into the long and tedius job of breeding, searching for IVs and EV training. Just in case that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance guys :D

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
Ok I have a question for you later generation pokefans, Ive been playing pokemon since the Red, Blue days but stopped at Emerald. FR LG was a nice nostalgic update and I did play a little of SS (Gen 4) but my emulator, DeSmuME, kept loading a black screen after I beat the 4th gym so stopped bothering. I was put off the later games because it was just so many new pokemon to learn and assumed they were recycling old pokemon under different names and basically running out of original ideas. I have now had a change of heart (mainly beacause I know the old ones back to front) and am thinking of trying the newer generation.

Sooo what game do you recommend and why? Should I go Gen 4, then Gen5, then Gen6 or just jump straight to 6 (if atall)? Also is there a decent emulator to play these on?

Just to note I am not intending to battle competitively and have never been into the long and tedius job of breeding, searching for IVs and EV training. Just in case that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance guys :D

6th Gen so you can actually enjoy most of the game before it's obsolete. The best part of Pokemon are the friend exchanges, though it's not the bulk of the game itself it does make the game more fun for much longer. So you should play it while it's still popular.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

personally, i think you can skip gen 4 - unless you wanna feel nostalgia from the gen2 remakes. Gen V and Gen 6 both have their ups and downs, that is to say both still being good.

I'd suggest that you go for x/y since they will get you updated with all the latest stuff, plus there are tons of pokemon to enjoy... However, gen 6 is 3ds-exclusive and if you're planning to solely use emulators, there is still no way to play them (besides, the games have just come out... have some dignity). In that case, you will have to settle with gen V, which i love for all the post-game content.

Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 26, 2015
6th Gen so you can actually enjoy most of the game before it's obsolete. The best part of Pokemon are the friend exchanges, though it's not the bulk of the game itself it does make the game more fun for much longer. So you should play it while it's still popular.

Really? I was thinking about Black/White because it had a sequel so thought the story might have some bulk. But I do get what your saying about it becoming obsolete.

personally, i think you can skip gen 4 - unless you wanna feel nostalgia from the gen2 remakes. Gen V and Gen 6 both have their ups and downs, that is to say both still being good.

I'd suggest that you go for x/y since they will get you updated with all the latest stuff, plus there are tons of pokemon to enjoy... However, gen 6 is 3ds-exclusive and if you're planning to solely use emulators, there is still no way to play them (besides, the games have just come out... have some dignity). In that case, you will have to settle with gen V, which i love for all the post-game content.

Was diamond/pearl that bad, or is it just because they're old? I know X/Y have just come out so understand they probably is no emulator for them, but I don't have a 3ds and dont intend to buy one just to play pokemon. so looks like gen 5 then.

Thanks for your responses :)

O your comment about the Gen2 remakes reminded me about something, yes I had HG on emulator and it kept loading a black screen with sound after the forth gym, but strangely enough the same thing kept happening to a SS I had on my ds, which is what led me to emulators in the first place. Anyone else had this experience, did I just have a fake?

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

gen 4 isn't as bad as you probably imagine. It just doesn't have much to offer when you put it beside 5 and 6.

about your SS experience, i honestly don't know. I'd still place my bets on a non-original cart... perhaps an attempt using those R4s? some ROMs apparently have problems loading on emulators and the console itself. Sad to hear what you've been through, though...

bluestars83

Your friendly neighborhood Ace Trainer :)
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 6, 2016
Can someone tell me in what section i can post a thread about finding people that i can trust to trade back pokemon that need trading to evolve. As i can't find any threads about it, only one i can find has been closed.

Years
Can someone tell me in what section i can post a thread about finding people that i can trust to trade back pokemon that need trading to evolve. As i can't find any threads about it, only one i can find has been closed.

Try looking in the Quick Trade Threads in Trade Corner, just post your request in them and make sure it follows the rules!

Links are below:

4th/5th Gen
6th Gen

Pacifist

Its a Destiny
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2014
What is the fastest and best method to get a shiny pokemon?

Well it depends, there is the Pokeradar available at the 4th and 6th gen, its a little bit time consuming but with a harder execution and there is the Masuda method(Breeding Pokemon with foreign pokemon) which might be more time consuming but with an easier execution and there are the horde encounters that is easy but its not guaranteed what shiny will you get since there are about 3 different hordes each route

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
Can anyone assist me in trying to make heads of tails of chain breeding-? Particularly in HG/ SS. I don't chain breed at all, but I have both male and female Absol I managed to breed with Nidoking's Megahorn, and both male and female Absol with Zen headbutt, which they got from a Psyduck. My goal is to breed an Absol that has both Zen headbutt and Megahorn, but I'm not sure where to go from there; and how I'd get one egg move to the pokemon with the second desired egg move.

EB

Re: World
Years
Can anyone assist me in trying to make heads of tails of chain breeding-? Particularly in HG/ SS. I don't chain breed at all, but I have both male and female Absol I managed to breed with Nidoking's Megahorn, and both male and female Absol with Zen headbutt, which they got from a Psyduck. My goal is to breed an Absol that has both Zen headbutt and Megahorn, but I'm not sure where to go from there; and how I'd get one egg move to the pokemon with the second desired egg move.

Since males are the only ones who can pass down egg moves, it is impossible for a pokemon to inherit two egg moves unless both of those egg moves are known by its father. This is brought about by having the father inherit one egg move through breeding and then learn another move by leveling up, a move that is considered to be an egg move by its later offspring's species.

To get a baby Absol to learn both Zen Headbutt and Megahorn, its father's species needs to be able to learn one as an egg move and the other through leveling up. Your only choice to accomplish this in HG/SS is Stantler:

(1) Breed a male Stantler that knows Megahorn as an egg move
(2) Level this Stantler to Lv. 38 (when it learns Zen Headbutt)
(3) Breed the Stantler with a female Absol to get a baby Absol with both egg moves

=

Thanks for asking this question, since before this I had no idea how egg moves worked, but now I do! ;o

Also for next time, post any 4th-Gen-specific questions in the 4th Gen Help Thread.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
Since males are the only ones who can pass down egg moves, it is impossible for a pokemon to inherit two egg moves unless both of those egg moves are known by its father. This is brought about by having the father inherit one egg move through breeding and then learn another move by leveling up, a move that is considered to be an egg move by its later offspring's species.

To get a baby Absol to learn both Zen Headbutt and Megahorn, its father's species needs to be able to learn one as an egg move and the other through leveling up. Your only choice to accomplish this in HG/SS is Stantler:

(1) Breed a male Stantler that knows Megahorn as an egg move
(2) Level this Stantler to Lv. 38 (when it learns Zen Headbutt)
(3) Breed the Stantler with a female Absol to get a baby Absol with both egg moves

=

Thanks for asking this question, since before this I had no idea how egg moves worked, but now I do! ;o

Also for next time, post any 4th-Gen-specific questions in the 4th Gen Help Thread.
This is immensely helpful! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how to breed both the Absol's with the egg move after I got them on them.
oop. My bad. I thought chain breeding across all gens in fell under General Pokemon Q&A

Reactions: EB
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I don't think so, since you didn't hack the egg. If it's generated by the game, then it's legit. Morally questionable, but still legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back