• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you use the Red Gyarados?

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
I already had the Magikarp that is always on my teams.
Seeing as it was already there, I didn't want the Gyarados.

Years
  • Seen Oct 7, 2013
I played the game in an odd order, so when I caught the Red Gyarados my Magikarp was still around level 18. So I used it and then made my Magikarp an HM slave when it evolved. RG became my highest level for the Elite Four at 51 before I took them on.

Years
I don't like Red Gyarados at all. He is part of the story, so you don't get excited about it like if you find a real shiny :P

Since I started HG with a Totodile, I kept it to use as an HM slave and a meat shield while I healed my other pokemon.

Gyarados is overused -_-

Utzipher

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 4, 2014
Like the majority, I used it as an HM slave. I prefer to evolve my Pokemon and raise them from the start.

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I didn't use him too much. I caught it just for the sport of it- and because it was shiny.
I mean, c'mon, who could resist not catching a shiny Pokemon? :3

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I used him in the original Gold and Silver as a main team member, but not in my HG. I actually used him as an HM slave because he can learn Waterfall, Whirlpool, Surf, and Strength. He's like, the ultimate HM slave.

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
I kept the Gyarados because it had a good nature, and I wanted to EV it and use it for competitive battling. Otherwise I would have put it on my in-game team. It is really strong and also, who wouldn't like to use a shiny on their team?

Years
I did. I felt kind of cheap for using it though since everyone uses, but it's a good Pokmeon, I think. With 4th gens special/physical split, it really got that needed boost in power.

Also this is the only shiny in the series, along with dratini and gible, that doesn't count :P

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
I don't like using Pokemon I'm handed. I've only used it a few times and that was in the original games, I prefer to use Pokemon other people don't :P (Currently Slowking, Forretress, Miltank and soon Muk but that's besides the point).

But I think today the game really hit back at me because of my disregard of the red monster fish and my reluctance to use it by gifting me this http://i46.tinypic.com/29xd6yo.png. Many tantrums were had.

kj3400

Wants a Magneton for a Charger
Years
  • Seen May 11, 2014
I used it. I never had any good water pokemon by the time I got to it, and I sure enough wasn't going to fish for one. That would have taken some effort. :P

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
I used the Gyarados for my Heartgold runthrough. for Soulsilver, it rotted in my pc and for crystal, i killed it..

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Depended on my team. Gyarados is pretty much always a solid choice for an ingame team unless you have a glaring electric weakness.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I used him for most of the game until he was replaced by my Poliwrath. Now I just use him as my HM slave for Surf and Waterfall.

Years
I never used him in SS, but only because I almost always use him in the original games. Didn't help that I'd been using Lapras for so long by that point.

Back