• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Famicom aka. Nintendo Entertainment System (NES™) Discussion Thread

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The Top Loader NES looks so much nicer than the regular NES. Though the controller design on the NES defines classic. I can't imagine using anything other than that rectangle. XD It is uncomfortable though.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
The Top Loader NES looks so much nicer than the regular NES. Though the controller design on the NES defines classic. I can't imagine using anything other than that rectangle. XD It is uncomfortable though.

Yeah, the original controller is much more recognizable. Also if you want to be technical, the Atari 2600's controller is more classic :P Of course there are even older systems, but this is the oldest more people know about.

2600.jpg

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
There was no Internet to look up stuff on (gasp, shock, horror). Also, anyone still have the really early issues of Nintendo Power?

I have one that has a section about something about a NES game called Milon's Secret Castle, but the rest of them have no mentions about NES games.

tabor62

Years
Eww, Milon's Secret Castle, I've never played the physical copy, but it really sucked. Plus the AVGN ranted about it so that tells you something. As noted by him, its section in the secrets and codes part of the magazine was titled "Getting Started" :l

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I knew someone would have to be technical about the controllers, but the one you often see being portrayed as the classic/retro gaming controller is the NES one. I rarely see the 2600 joystick chilling out anywhere, sadly. :(

I have one that has a section about something about a NES game called Milon's Secret Castle, but the rest of them have no mentions about NES games.

"Milon's Secret Castle: Getting Started?!?! This isn't a cheat! This just tells you how to play the game!!"

tabor62

Years
"Milon's Secret Castle: Getting Started?!?! This isn't a cheat! This just tells you how to play the game!!"

Oooh, a fellow AVGN fan :D "You play it for 5 minutes, you get stuck, and then your whole weekend is wasted"

It's also interesting to note that he uses the normal top loading NES for this rant.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
What were some of the worst NES titles you've played?

I already mentioned The Uncanny X-Men and Milon's Secret Castle, but there was also a game called Hydelyde which is like Zelda (but technically it came first).

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You actually played all those? :( Scary thought.

The only NES game I've played on an actual NES is Super Mario Bros, waaaay back at a daycare center. Like I said in my first post in this thread, I need to build up my NES library and figure out how to get it to work with my tv. That being said though, I myself haven't played any really bad games. Only watched and cringed.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Playing them was even more cringe worthy. XD And yeah, I've played them when I was a bit older (from 5 years old). I could only handle playing them for about 25 minutes until I've stopped forever.

:(

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The first time I went to our local older game store, my boyfriend at the time wanted to show me the ****** games they had there. We went over to the NES section and he pulls out Ghostbusters and I laughed waaaay too hard about it. When I go there, I like to look for AVGN reviewed games for the lolz. Always entertaining.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I remember playing Super Mario Bros. (or was it just watching?) at school, even though at that time the SNES was quite outdated, too.

In the last years I made some research about NES games, mostly watching LPs, or even trying them by myself (and failing miserably) and it was kinda fun to see the beginning of some of the most popular series today (Final Fantasy, Zelda). Also I like their simple design, most of the newer games are sometimes a little bit too complex so I lose interest quite often.

Some games I find quite interesting: Crystalis, Battletoads, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Zelda 1 and 2
Most of them are quite tough, though...

tabor62

Years
Playing them was even more cringe worthy. XD And yeah, I've played them when I was a bit older. I could only handle playing them for about 25 minutes until I've stopped forever.

:(

You age backwards? :O jk

But some really bad games for the NES was Action 52. I want to hold one in real life sometime, but it's so expensive ;.; I don't collect for the NES so it'd be a waste of money for me. Does anyone here collect for the NES?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
You age backwards? :O jk

But some really bad games for the NES was Action 52. I want to hold one in real life sometime, but it's so expensive ;.; I don't collect for the NES so it'd be a waste of money for me. Does anyone here collect for the NES?
Well, it is unlicensed. Doesn't have the Seal of Quality on it XD

Also, Cheetahmen

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Fun fact: I use videos to fall asleep to because I don't like total silence and I like to use the Action 52 AVGN video to sleep to. Weird, I know. But I know that video like the back of my hand as a result. lmao

I don't collect for the NES specifically, but I like to collect Nintendo stuff in general. I'm not hardcore about it to where I need each different model of certain consoles though. imo, collecting NES stuff would be the most difficult. The most expensive NES game, Stadium Events, sold for 41k. :x And then there are other NES games that are up there in price and rarity as well. Crazy...

tabor62

Years
Well, it is unlicensed. Doesn't have the Seal of Quality on it XD

Also, Cheetahmen

Pfft, a lot of games with the Seal of "Quality" sucked :P Cheetahmen II is even harder to find D: so I probably won't ever touch one of them either.

I collect for the Gameboy family, kind of hard without a job or allowance though haha

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
And then there are other NES games that are up there in price and rarity as well. Crazy...
Like the gold Nintendo World Championships cartridge? Or the Myriad Games 6-in-1 cartridge? The prices of those can get pretty high, if one can even find them on sale at all.

With Cheetahmen, it's amazing how much they tried to push the game. Like with the comic book that sold with the game, and I think there were plans for action figures? They probably should have focused more on making the game good before saying that it was "hot selling." Which is what they slapped on the cover sticker for the Caltron 6-in-1 cartridge, and how many people have that?

(All of this knowledge of mine comes from watching the AVGN. I guess it's impossible to talk so much about the Nintendo and not mention him at some point. We need a thread where we can talk about Internet reviewers.)

Once, I watched a video online of someone playing through Hydelyde and another difficult NES game Dark Towers. He gave tips on how to play through the games so you could attempt it yourself.

As for my own difficult NES game that I owned, I don't know. When you're four-years-old, every game is difficult. Can't think of any that I own that would be considered difficult.

Ah. No. Castlevania III. Even watching other people play it, it's clear that game is a very difficult one.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
(All of this knowledge of mine comes from watching the AVGN. I guess it's impossible to talk so much about the Nintendo and not mention him at some point. We need a thread where we can talk about Internet reviewers.)
Lifelong Nintendo fan and I've never seen an AVGN video

Algo Fonix

oh god
Years
The NES will always be dear to me. I got my start as a gamer on it and all that good rose tinted glasses stuff. I still play mine fairly often. There are lots of great games out there that I probably won't ever get a chance to play. I've also got a Famicom, which is alright, I guess. More of a novelty than anything else.

Does anyone here collect for the NES?

Sorta. I guess, anyway. I haven't purchased any new games in a year or so, but I want to resume my collecting soon.

tabor62

Years
I wanna see if I can get some rare games. Someone at work told me that they had 2 copies of the NWC 1990 cart - One Gold, and one grey. idk if she's bsing me, but if she does have them, I'd be jelly out of this universe.

Probably lying through their teeth. Very few people own either, let alone both. I can only think of one person who own's both from the top of my head, and that's Pat the NES Punk.

Back