• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] A Smell of Petroleum Pervades Throughout

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2017
You can probably kill and eat the monster (if eldritch pokemon are edible). Was Vesta classified as a pokemon? If she was you could have her kill it and gain some levels. Afterwards I suggest you head east, something tells me that is where you have to go.

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2018
Let's not kill the little monster let's try catching it, it doesn't seem as strong as the Eldritch Totodile so maybe it won't disentegrate the ball you have left. Also I think we just encoutered Eldritch Lugia. Anyway let's head South it's obvious the most exciting thing will happen in the most unassuming cave.

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
Firstly check if vesta is ok. Then check this monster out . Don't kill it , and after that head south as mentioned above .

off topic : By the way awesome fan fic , excellent narration it's like playing a game :)

Cutlerine

Gone. May or may not return.
Years
> You can probably kill and eat the monster (if eldritch pokemon are edible). Was Vesta classified as a pokemon? If she was you could have her kill it and gain some levels. Afterwards I suggest you head east, something tells me that is where you have to go.
> Let's not kill the little monster let's try catching it, it doesn't seem as strong as the Eldritch Totodile so maybe it won't disentegrate the ball you have left. Also I think we just encoutered Eldritch Lugia. Anyway let's head South it's obvious the most exciting thing will happen in the most unassuming cave.
> Firstly check if vesta is ok. Then check this monster out . Don't kill it , and after that head south as mentioned above .
> Catch the beast, instead of killing it. then head out to examin the holes in the caves.

You check out the little monster. On closer inspection, you can see it isn't a Seel; it's a similar shape, but the fins it drags itself along on are yellow and its body is red and scaly. The clincher is that its spine bends laterally like a fish, not vertically like a mammal: this is no more or less than an Eldritch Magikarp.

It regards you warily from the shallows, twitching its barbels in agitation. It's by far the nicest-looking Eldritch creature you've seen so far – although it's by no means attractive; it looks like someone pounded it into bits with a fistful of broken bottles and resurrected it by pounding the parts together again. Still. There's a shine on its scales and a vapid look in its eyes that indicates that, perhaps because of its extreme inoffensiveness before the Dreaming, its personality hasn't developed too broad a murderous streak now.

You reach for a Poké Ball to catch it, and it's at this moment that you discover that nothing remains of your Bag beyond the straps that held it onto your back.

You swear. Very, very loudly.

The Eldritch Magikarp squeals and vanishes into the sea.

Crap!

Your Bag is gone. That's all your food, your water, your means of defence, your...

Your fire.

Vesta.

Your eyes turn to the piles of debris scattered across the beach.

You hope all your stuff washed up in the same place as you did.

Note: Thank you, gam3r! I appreciate it. Doing this makes me realise why text-based adventure games didn't use real people in the first place; knowing that people are enjoying it makes it worthwhile.

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2018
Stay calm and comb the beach for Vesta if you can't find her on the beach look for a current that carries objects see if it leads into the caves. Call out for Vesta see if she responds. Also the Narrator brought us back to day one nothing but the bag on our back, well played.

StinkomanFan

The Thing with Questionable Taste
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 3, 2015
If you cannot find Vesta, begin to cry as hard as you possibly can.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
See if there are any movements around your surroundings. If there aren't any, shout for Vesta's name. Maybe he/she/it will respond, and then just follow his/her/it's voice.

If she doesn't reply, then maybe search the beach. Who knows, maybe when the minutes fly by, you'll spot her inside her jar floating calmly towards you in the sea?

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
Perfect...our bag is gone...search for it around the beach in case that the bag is washed up ashore. If it isn't around then keep calm and try not to panic , search the island for useful items and probably you could make ( somehow ) a " hand made " Bag. But i bet that the narrator is playing with us once again our stuff should be around here !!!

Years
  • Seen May 12, 2021
I have to disagree with the others. The narrator is the kind of person to have us make the Flash Cannon just to destroy it. However, our prime objective right now is finding Vesta. She is all we have left and she is probably freaking out right now. Find her as quickly as you can and calm her down.

Clockwork Orange

The King of Nowhere
Years
Comb the beach for your items and Vesta (Whether she still counts as an item is beyond me.) If you are unable to find her, offer a prayer to Tabiti and ask her to keep Vesta safe - as a goddess of fire, that shouldn't be too hard.

Once that essential task is done, ponder if there are still some non-violent (Or at-least as Non-Violent as those Eldrich pokemon can get) Pokemon such as Magikarp left around (E.G. Dunsparce) think about how that can be used to your advantage

Cutlerine

Years
> Stay calm and comb the beach for Vesta if you can't find her on the beach look for a current that carries objects see if it leads into the caves. Call out for Vesta see if she responds. Also the Narrator brought us back to day one nothing but the bag on our back, well played.

The Narrator would like to remind you (smugly) that you don't even have the Bag. Just the straps.

> If you cannot find Vesta, begin to cry as hard as you possibly can.

You are ready to cry. You are so totally ready to cry harder than anyone has ever cried before.

To be honest, you've been ready to do that for several days now.

> See if there are any movements around your surroundings. If there aren't any, shout for Vesta's name. Maybe he/she/it will respond, and then just follow his/her/it's voice.
If she doesn't reply, then maybe search the beach. Who knows, maybe when the minutes fly by, you'll spot her inside her jar floating calmly towards you in the sea?

You call for Vesta, but there's no reply. You watch the sea, but nothing more washes up; you do work out, however, that at high tide the water must flood the caves, so perhaps if you can't find anything on the beach then you could search underground for your stuff.

> Perfect...our bag is gone...search for it around the beach in case that the bag is washed up ashore. If it isn't around then keep calm and try not to panic , search the island for useful items and probably you could make ( somehow ) a " hand made " Bag. But i bet that the narrator is playing with us once again our stuff should be around here !!!
> I have to disagree with the others. The narrator is the kind of person to have us make the Flash Cannon just to destroy it. However, our prime objective right now is finding Vesta. She is all we have left and she is probably freaking out right now. Find her as quickly as you can and calm her down.
> Comb the beach for your items and Vesta (Whether she still counts as an item is beyond me.) If you are unable to find her, offer a prayer to Tabiti and ask her to keep Vesta safe - as a goddess of fire, that shouldn't be too hard. 
Once that essential task is done, ponder if there are still some non-violent (Or at-least as Non-Violent as those Eldrich pokemon can get) Pokemon such as Magikarp left around (E.G. Dunsparce) think about how that can be used to your advantage

You root around on the beach in the piles of debris, and almost immediately stumble across a huge mass of white silk wrapped around several broken pieces of wood, hitherto concealed beneath a mass of seaweed: the wreckage of your coracle.

Othodox found some Adamantine Spider Silk! Othodox put the Adamantine Spider Silk in... uh...

Hm. This poses a problem. You think for a moment, then roll the silk up into a rope and tie it around your waist. There. Not fashionable, but you're not going to lose it.

Othodox found some Wet Splintery Wood! Othodox put the—

You know what? You are done with picking up stuff just because it's there. You have no idea where to put this, but you aren't going to carry it around; if you need it later, you know where it is and can come back for it.

Another pile of debris turns up a cluster of huge blue-grey scales that the Pokédex – which was, thankfully inside your pocket, and is practically indestructible save for the radar attachment – identifies as belonging to a new form of Lanturn.

You recall the giant thing that raged and wailed beside you in the storm, and wonder if the Eldritch Lanturn survived.

Othodox found some Sturdy Scales! Othodox put the Sturdy Scales in a loop of the silk.

This inventory system isn't elegant. You need to find something better if you want to collect any appreciable number of items.

Further beachcombing turns up a brace of eels, a key and sweet Jesus it's your Highly Persuasive Handgun!

Othodox found some Large European Eels! Othodox stuck them through the silk.

Othodox found one Elm's Key! Othodox put the Elm's Key in his pocket.

Othodox found one Highly Persuasive Handgun! Othodox kept hold of the Highly Persuasive Handgun. A real tight hold.

It's a bit wet and dented, but the seaweed wrapped around it seems to have shielded it from the worst of the impact. The lights seem to work, so presumably the rest of it does as well.

You do have a quick think about there being perhaps less lethal Eldritch Pokémon around, but can't really think of any that might fit the bill other than Magikarp.

Now. You noted before that the high tide mark (or rather, the lack of it) indicates that the water surged right up into the caves. This means that further explorations will require you to pick an entrance to take.

Time is of the essence. Your 8aD 3gg needs to be recovered soon or it may die – and, more importantly, so does Vesta.

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2018
Yes go the the unassuming hole quickly, if times of the essence use less caution and move quickly and if there's some really dangerous creature blast it with the hand gun and move on, we need to find our 'Pokemon' quickly.

Cutlerine

Years
> Well then..head to the southern entrance of the cave with the "unassuming hole"
> Yes go the the unassuming hole quickly, if times of the essence use less caution and move quickly and if there's some really dangerous creature blast it with the hand gun and move on, we need to find our 'Pokemon' quickly.

The Unassuming Hole leads into a short, twisty and incredibly slippery tunnel that snakes downwards into the rock before emerging in one of the colossal underground caverns so typical of the Johto region. Smaller caves, ravines and hills are scattered across its surface like so many boils and acne scars; quite why all caves in Johto seem to consist of a maze within a large empty space is beyond you, and beyond the world's geologists, too.

There are also large, treacherous-looking expanses of black water here and there – but no sign of Pokémon or animal life. This is puzzling; as a cave, this place ought to be crawling with Zubat, but there's not much sign of, well, anything at all here.

A distant booming noise, like a vast meaty hammer hitting concrete, comes to your ears.

Well, all right then.

Perhaps there is some life here.

You shake yourself from your stupor and start searching. Almost immediately, you find the Bad Egg caught behind a large rock – entirely intact. In fact, it seems to have warped the rocks out of shape around it. You wonder whether or not you were right to worry about whether it might die.

Never mind about that. With it safely stowed away (God knows how; it's a little vague with eggs) you resume the search.

Very soon you find a shard of wet glass.

You pause.

It's lying in a little trickle of water that looks like it might well have run down from the Unassuming Hole; you follow the rivulet with your eyes and find another shard, a little further on.

Time to move.

You half-climb, half-slide down the edge of the rocky ledge you're standing on and find a pool of water below; there are several more shards of glass here, and the rubber seal of the jar.

Beads of sweat appear on your brow, but you tell yourself that you won't think anything until you find proof.

You keep going. Down past a few more rocks, into a shallow ditch that runs between two hillocks of stone. There's a heart-stopping moment when you lose sight of the stream – and then you find it again, trickling across wet rock off to your left, into a little hole in the wall where it drains away between two stones, and where a six-foot column of roaring green fire is happily consuming the piles of seaweed that have been washed up here.

Othodox! cries Vesta happily as you approach – and there's something odd about her voice. It sounds... better punctuated, or something. Othodox, I'm big!

You stare.

"Uh... yeah," you say, wondering whether you shouldn't have let her out of the jar before. "So I see."

I was worried, she says, spitting out a fat, popping spark. You were gone and I didn't know where you were.

"I was worried about you too," you reply. "I was looking for you."

I knew you would, she tells you loyally. I waited.

"You did," you say happily, as it finally clicks that you're both safe, and that the panic is at last over.

Thank God.

No, actually, don't thank him – thank Tabiti. A lot.

Othodox's Devotion has improved!

Othodox is a Knight of the Sacred Fire!

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2018
Well knight of the sacred fire good job finding your 'pokemon, now we have to find a way to transport Vesta, see if she can move it not look for something you can use to transport her with. Also check with the pokedex, I think little Vesta evolved.

StinkomanFan

The Thing with Questionable Taste
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 3, 2015
>Try not to give into temptation of hugging your dear little girl partner.

Clockwork Orange

The King of Nowhere
Years
I'd suggest looking for something transparent to hold Vesta in; using her as a lantern wouldn't be such a bad idea in this place. - Actually, aren't you near a beach? I'm not too sure how the process of creating glass works proper, but perhaps you, the man who managed to construct a gun without tools, will be able to.

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
yeah , find a way to create a jar to keep vesta inside. Sand turns into glass if heated but you won't be able to give it a shape of jar....

Cutlerine

Years
>Try not to give into temptation of hugging your dear little girl partner.

You try really, really hard. Much to your relief, you succeed.

>Well knight of the sacred fire good job finding your 'pokemon, now we have to find a way to transport Vesta, see if she can move it not look for something you can use to transport her with. Also check with the pokedex, I think little Vesta evolved.

Pokédex says no; apparently she's the same thing, just... bigger. Having room to grow really seems to have suited her; her development might have been stunted before by the small dimensions of the jar.

>I'd suggest looking for something transparent to hold Vesta in; using her as a lantern wouldn't be such a bad idea in this place. - Actually, aren't you near a beach? I'm not too sure how the process of creating glass works proper, but perhaps you, the man who managed to construct a gun without tools, will be able to.
>yeah , find a way to create a jar to keep vesta inside. Sand turns into glass if heated but you won't be able to give it a shape of jar....

All right, look.

There's been quite some suspension of the normal laws of reality so far here. The Narrator has been willing to allow you a boat here or a gun there, just because you really need it.

What he will not allow, though, is the sudden and miraculous creation of a large jar out of beach sand by a complete glass-making novice. Woodwork, he could just about justify as part of your pre-programmed player character knowledge. Jamming things together inside a piece of copper? Blind luck. But vitreous engineering? Nope. There's no way in hell you can get away with that one.

On the plus side, Vesta can move. She does so quite slowly, especially when moving over normally non-flammable surfaces like stone or water, but she isn't rooted to one spot. She will, however, dwindle with every move she makes without fuel.

You suppose you could leave a trail of seaweed and driftwood for her to burn along like a fuse, but you're not sure how long you could keep it up for. Though, having said that, there does seem to be a bountiful supply of weed in here.

Also limpets. It's a goddamn limpet-fest. If you had a knife, you could prise them off the rocks and throw them to Vesta, or, if you were really desperate, you could eat them yourself.

Back