• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your suggestions for Essentials

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Suggestions for Pokemon Essentials​

I have a handful of suggestions for Essentials, and about half I can provide for (Red=Somebody Please do this!!! Yellow=I can look into it Green = :) I got it!)

Lets begin shall we?

BW2 Trainer overworld and battle sprites
BW2 ANIMATED Pokemon Sprites (Overworlds to)
BW2/HGSS/DPPt Tiles/Graphics
Gen 1-Gen 5 music in BW2 Sound

If you guys can add on, please do! Maruno if you see this, please consider it!
I might have given this more consideration if you had posted this in the stickied Suggestions thread (which is where your post now is).

In any case, no to all of the above. I've explained many times why.

LHT

I do pokemon sprites sometimes
Years
A trade system based on the system of PSP DS, created only with txt files and generated codes via the script, with an ID number (between X to X) to define which game trades with another.
No need to online connectivity.

(sorry for bad english)

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2013
I think you should add in messenger system: We can show pokémon's name in our party.
But why so long to version 12....I need fix bug of trade system :(
( sorry for bad English )

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
In next version would be nice to see the Pokeball burst animations supprot which i talked to you if it is already in essentials, little time ago.

And second one i dont know if it is already in essentials the checking for pokemon in nest area, to check on which time of day they are avaiable.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I think you should add in messenger system: We can show pokémon's name in our party.
But why so long to version 12....I need fix bug of trade system :(
( sorry for bad English )

Trade bug is fixed. Check the Wiki for known bugs and how to fix it (a line of code missing).

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
I come with a suggestion, if I may:

It turns out that the battle system is the only one not to return any form of error when something goes wrong, and neither does it record any errors in the errorlog.txt. It would be nice to know where/what went wrong instead of the battle sys just spazzing out. I accidentally deleted an image (I wasn't aware that I did it), and the battle sys just kept crashing. It would be nicer to get some indication in the future, instead of bashing my head against the wall for 20 minutes.

Anyway, just something to think about - error messages in the battle sys.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
I suggest for putting Game_Character_1, Game_Character_2 and Game_Character_3_ in same script section, like was done with Interpreter. This make Ctrl+F easier

I come with a suggestion, if I may:

It turns out that the battle system is the only one not to return any form of error when something goes wrong, and neither does it record any errors in the errorlog.txt. It would be nice to know where/what went wrong instead of the battle sys just spazzing out. I accidentally deleted an image (I wasn't aware that I did it), and the battle sys just kept crashing. It would be nicer to get some indication in the future, instead of bashing my head against the wall for 20 minutes.

Anyway, just something to think about - error messages in the battle sys.
I've this exact problem so many times! I vote for both errorlog and error message in battle sys (if this isn't too hard).

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
Here's a couple of suggestions:

Change the way pbPhoneRegisterBattle works to allow a conditional branch to let different answer let the Trainer say different things. For example:

Joey: We should trade phone numbers!
if yes: I'll call you if anything comes up.
if no: If you want my number then ask me again.

Additionally, perhaps you could add support for (But not necessarily examples of) different types of conversations to be allowed for individual trainers, or at least point to a place in the script where a use can define different phone conversations for different conditions.

Off the top of my head, that's all for now.

rigbycwts

Hmm, hmm.
Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2019
I would suggest adding a "word filter" when nicknaming Pokemon like in B/W/B2/W2.

Maruno

Years
Here's a couple of suggestions:

Change the way pbPhoneRegisterBattle works to allow a conditional branch to let different answer let the Trainer say different things. For example:

Joey: We should trade phone numbers!
if yes: I'll call you if anything comes up.
if no: If you want my number then ask me again.
For this, you could just use pbFindPhoneTrainer(trtype,trname)!=nil in a Conditional Branch immediately after the register command. True means they were registered, false means they weren't.

Additionally, perhaps you could add support for (But not necessarily examples of) different types of conversations to be allowed for individual trainers, or at least point to a place in the script where a use can define different phone conversations for different conditions.

Off the top of my head, that's all for now.
You mean a combination of the two existing kinds of contact, with the phone messages of the NPCs (i.e. use a Common Event) and the battle counting/activating of the trainers?

Hmm, perhaps.

I would suggest adding a "word filter" when nicknaming Pokemon like in B/W/B2/W2.
Like censoring rude words? What would be the point? Essentials doesn't have a way to send Pokémon between games, so there's no way anyone else can see and be offended by what you've called your Pokémon.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years

I would say to not worry about a word filter; especially because you can't trade Pokémon at the moment anyway. unless you plan to release a mystery gift with an inappropriate name, then no one will ever know. Furthermore, even if we could trade Pokémon, if somebody wanted to, they'd find some workaround as they always have. There are infinite possibilities. Plus, it has interfered with actual Pokémon in the past(such as cofagrigus).

You mean a combination of the two existing kinds of contact, with the phone messages of the NPCs (i.e. use a Common Event) and the battle counting/activating of the trainers?

That would be an ideal method probably.

rigbycwts

Hmm, hmm.
Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2019
I would say to not worry about a word filter; especially because you can't trade Pokémon at the moment anyway. unless you plan to release a mystery gift with an inappropriate name, then no one will ever know. Furthermore, even if we could trade Pokémon, if somebody wanted to, they'd find some workaround as they always have. There are infinite possibilities. Plus, it has interfered with actual Pokémon in the past(such as cofagrigus).

That would be an ideal method probably.
I was planning to make a trade system similar to the GTS but encrypts the Pokemon data similar to how Mystery Gift was encrypted. (emphasis used)

EDIT: Even in naming PC boxes, the word filter is also applied.

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
A setting that activates the black out money lost from RSE and before

When the player can continue after losing the battle (the sixth pbTrainerBattle parameter is true), don't let the player lose his money.
These are two separate suggestions, right? The first is that there should be a setting which toggles between "amount of money lost in a battle is half your money" and "amount of money lost in a battle depends on your highest levelled Pokémon and your number of badges"... correct?

As for the second suggestion, is that a thing that happens for every "can continue afterwards" battle in modern games? I know it happens for the first rival battles at the start (tested in RB, FRLG and BW), but how other "can continue afterwards" battles that aren't supposed to be as friendly? I'm sure there must be some.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
These are two separate suggestions, right? The first is that there should be a setting which toggles between "amount of money lost in a battle is half your money" and "amount of money lost in a battle depends on your highest levelled Pokémon and your number of badges"... correct?

As for the second suggestion, is that a thing that happens for every "can continue afterwards" battle in modern games? I know it happens for the first rival battles at the start (tested in RB, FRLG and BW), but how other "can continue afterwards" battles that aren't supposed to be as friendly? I'm sure there must be some.
Yes, correct! I made the post a bit of confusing, isn't? XD

I don't remember about these non-friendly battles, but if these are relevant, how about a seventh battle parameter that works even when the sixth is false?

Maruno

Years
The settings in the Settings script section of Essentials are for things the user may well want to change. I really doubt anyone would care to alter how much money the player loses in a trainer battle. I don't think it's worth making a setting out of it.

There's no need for yet another battle parameter when you could just use a Global Switch. While the Switch is on, the player can't lose money from trainer battles. The question is whether that or your suggestion is better. An alternative is to put the player's money in a Global Variable just before the battle, and add it back to the player's money variable afterwards - this is probably the easiest solution.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
The settings in the Settings script section of Essentials are for things the user may well want to change. I really doubt anyone would care to alter how much money the player loses in a trainer battle. I don't think it's worth making a setting out of it.

There's no need for yet another battle parameter when you could just use a Global Switch. While the Switch is on, the player can't lose money from trainer battles. The question is whether that or your suggestion is better. An alternative is to put the player's money in a Global Variable just before the battle, and add it back to the player's money variable afterwards - this is probably the easiest solution.
If you think so...

Neat way of restore the player money, but If someones wants I recommend this way: in PokeBattle_Battle script section, after line 'moneylost=pbMaxLevel(@party1)' add line 'moneylost=0 if $game_switches[SWITCHNUMBERHERE]'.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
OMG Maruno where are those aerial battles and horde encounters? You sicken me sometimes.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
OMG Maruno where are those aerial battles and horde encounters? You sicken me sometimes.

Relax... Single battles don't work properly yet haha... I doubt that will ever come to Essentials I'm afraid... If you can work out how to do it, go for it, then share it :) good luck with that

Back