• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen They need to change Japanese characters to english

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Mar 14, 2014
Since 9 out of 10 people i play online are japanese, they need to change the names of the pokemon to thier default english names for the english speakers. Im new to 6th gen, and trying to learn the game, and would like to look up which pokemon im facing, but i cant read it

Years
They do that if you trade and receive a pokemon that isn't native to you and it evolves.
As for your battling problem, that's why they have guides and Bulbapedia with images

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
I totally agree! Sure there's when you evolve it the name changes, but what about pokemon that don't evolve? Or that are already evolved? Or are legendaries? They really need to change non english charactered pokemon during the transfer process and vice versa. I don't mind getting a French or Spanish or German or whatever pokemon, because I can still read the name they were given, but Korean or Japanese or something not in English, not at all.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
I totally agree! Sure there's when you evolve it the name changes, but what about pokemon that don't evolve? Or that are already evolved? Or are legendaries? They really need to change non english charactered pokemon during the transfer process and vice versa. I don't mind getting a French or Spanish or German or whatever pokemon, because I can still read the name they were given, but Korean or Japanese or something not in English, not at all.

Um.

French, Spanish, and German are not in English.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Um.

I'm assuming they mean you can sound out names written in French, Spanish, and German but many English speakers probably won't be able to sound out a Japanese or Korean name, so the Pokemon's nicknames will always be unknown.

I personally don't have a preference on this topic, since I think it's kinda cool to have a Pokemon that's nicknamed or not in another language :)

EQUALSGAMER

Proud user of Garbodor
Years
I like it better that they keep their original language, I love being exposed to different languages, especially Japanese. I always feel like I'm finally doing something with my life when I can get a Japanese Raichu and read his name. :)

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
I'm assuming they mean you can sound out names written in French, Spanish, and German but many English speakers probably won't be able to sound out a Japanese or Korean name, so the Pokemon's nicknames will always be unknown.

I personally don't have a preference on this topic, since I think it's kinda cool to have a Pokemon that's nicknamed or not in another language :)

Yes, exactly. French, SPanish, Italian, German, whatever, uses characters I can sound out at least.

Um.

Look at the characters used in the names, they're characters an English Speaker can sound out at least

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
They could do that, but it'd look really dumb. Plus, not everything can translate over to English perfectly. What if the Pokemon has a nickname? Like what if it's named あああああ? That wouldn't look very appealing in English (AAAAA).

That's what the original poster said in the very first post:

they need to change the names of the pokemon to thier default english names for the english speakers

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Im not sure if i get to the point: If your goal is to know what that Pokemon's name is in english, korean and japanese symbols arent the only problem you are going to have. In germany and France, pokemon get mostly different names, so you wont still know what that Pokemon's name is in English...

That being said, i dont mind things as they are know, its rather quite interesting

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Im not sure if i get to the point: If your goal is to know what that Pokemon's name is in english, korean and japanese symbols arent the only problem you are going to have. In germany and France, pokemon get mostly different names, so you wont still know what that Pokemon's name is in English...

That being said, i dont mind things as they are know, its rather quite interesting

I'm sorry, are you serious? I really, REALLY don't know how the original poster could possibly have said it any more clearly. Are you saying us English speakers have exactly the same problem with "Scoppel" and "파르빗" ?? Cause if you are, I get the feeling you're being deliberately obstinate. (My sincere apologies if you're not.) If I get a bunnelby with the name "Scoppel" I am able to sound out what the letters say, (Scaw+pel = Scoppel. Even if that's not the correct pronunciation, I can still get A pronunciation out of it. The Korean letters, NO CLUE whatsoever. I have no concept what those symbols mean, what they sound like and so on. And if you're suggesting all the sole english speakers learn Korean and Japanese just so we can read the pokemon names, that's ridiculous. It's much easier for the translators to change the transfer process to include the ability to change the nickname of pokemon that contain characters that aren't native to the target game it is being sent to. After all, as someone pointed out, they ALREADY do it with pokemon that evolve, so why not one step further and start the process during trade? Old pokemon from older games with offensive nicknames or offensive trainer names that didn't have the same word filter current games have now change those nicknames and trainer names, so why not with foreign language characters not from the same region?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
I think it would ruin the experience a bit if Japanese/Korean Pokemon names were Romanised. If I get a Pokemon from another trainer, I'd want it to have its original nickname. It's cool to have Pokemon with Japanese/Korean names, even if they're hard to read. Besides, what about people who are bilingual? It would be disappointing to trade over one of your Pokemon with a specially crafted Japanese/Korean nickname, only to have it butchered by a crude attempt to Anglicise it.

On the other hand, I do sympathise with the original poster. It makes it harder to learn what all of the Pokemon are if the ones you come across never have their English names. It's for this exact reason that I never nickname my Pokemon the first time I play a new release.

Zet

Years
They could do that, but it'd look really dumb. Plus, not everything can translate over to English perfectly. What if the Pokemon has a nickname? Like what if it's named あああああ? That wouldn't look very appealing in English (AAAAA).
はああああああん would be a much better nickname. I would love to receive a pokemon with that nickname.
(don't use google translate to get the meaning of it, it becomes nonsense)

BasedNate

ImDaBes
Years
This is true, I've been playing Pokemon since 3rd gen then played 1st gen to 6th now that way I can follow what's going on. There were a few Pokemon some Japanese people used online that I totally forgot what it was. I would go to bulbapedia and search it up, but I'll probably take my time & left them to wait up for me, thus making it a slow, boring battle. When I play online, I'd like to increase my knowledge on Pokemon that I have forgotten that way, it won't plague me again. If it's possible, for U.S & other English speaking countries only, we would like the benefit of changing all non-English Pokemon nicknames to English when battling online. As for the Japanese, they can have the benefit on changing all Pokemon nicknames to Japanese when battling online. It's a win-win.

And for trades, that could easily be fixed by letting the Nickname Rater change foreign language nicknames.

Years
I disagree. If you know most Pokémon, this shouldn't be an issue. Also, if 9 out of 10 people are Japanese players, shouldn't it be the other way around? What if Japanese people asked for everything to be in Japanese instead? Of course if you are new to Pokémon, this will be harder but you don't have enough time to look up something useful during battle anyway.

BasedNate

ImDaBes
Years
I disagree. If you know most Pokémon, this shouldn't be an issue. Also, if 9 out of 10 people are Japanese players, shouldn't it be the other way around? What if Japanese people asked for everything to be in Japanese instead? Of course if you are new to Pokémon, this will be harder but you don't have enough time to look up something useful during battle anyway.

As for the Japanese, they can have the benefit on changing all Pokemon nicknames to Japanese when battling online. It's a win-win.

I already said that in my last sentence from the first paragraph. Yes, I know most Pokemon. Key word being "most." There were quite a few that I don't know when I battled online, that's what I said.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years

I personally don't have a preference on this topic, since I think it's kinda cool to have a Pokemon that's nicknamed or not in another language
1.%20smile.gif

Yes, exactly. French, SPanish, Italian, German, whatever, uses characters I can sound out at least.

Look at the characters used in the names, they're characters an English Speaker can sound out at least

Oh, I'm well aware of what you meant- I simply wanted to point out that your statement is rather silly when taken at face value.

More appropriate would have been to say 'At least French, Spanish, and German use the same writing system as English'.

As for the topic at hand- I don't really care. Even if I can't guess how the names are pronounced, I can still see what the 'mon is- and one can view it as an extra element of strategy for battles.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Ya know, this is never something I thought about before since I've been playing since Gen 1 and know pretty much every single Pokemon there is. If the game says: "Player sent out ボスゴドラ" I know that that's an Aggron. I can't read Japaense/Chinese/Korean characters at all, but I can still ID the Pokemon by sight.

I guess it is kind of a problem if you've neve seen the Pokemon before, but isn't that a part of the fun? Facing a new Pokemon and trying to figure out what it is? At least its fun for me when you don't know what the hell my Gastrodon is and try to zap it or hit it with water. XD Personally I like the names being displayed in different lanaguages.

Also, why is that Asian characters just show up as boxes on the actual posts (and other places) for me, but I can see them in the Qucik Reply/Edit box or on Serebii?

BasedNate

ImDaBes
Years
I guess it is kind of a problem if you've neve seen the Pokemon before, but isn't that a part of the fun? Facing a new Pokemon and trying to figure out what it is?

Well, in both the manga & anime, when the person doesn't know what the Pokemon is, they use their Pokedex, so I guess you can say the internet is the Pokedex. xD

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
Also, why is that Asian characters just show up as boxes on the actual posts (and other places) for me, but I can see them in the Qucik Reply/Edit box or on Serebii?

It's usually because that particular font doesn't support foreign characters. It shows for me though. Maybe you somehow managed to change the forum font in your user settings? Or sometimes the browser can change certain fonts it doesn't like.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
It's usually because that particular font doesn't support foreign characters. It shows for me though. Maybe you somehow managed to change the forum font in your user settings? Or sometimes the browser can change certain fonts it doesn't like.

It's the browser. I took a look at this thread in Chrome, and the Japanese characters showed up.

Back