• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Biffy Clyro: Mon the Biff!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
It's time for a discussion thread about my all-time favourite band. I've been hesitant to bring this topic up as I don't know how many people have heard of them outside of the UK, but if you haven't it's never too late to start! Say hello to the Scottish gods, Biffy Clyro.

Biffy+Clyro

First thing you notice is most likely that Simon Neil (middle, lead singer/guitarist) is the single sexiest man alive. Well you wouldn't be wrong there! And if his looks don't do it for you, his personality will. He formed the band along with two brothers Ben & James Johnston in 1995 with their first album being released in 2002, titled Blackened Sky. They made their way through many more albums and countless tours until most recently releasing Only Revolutions in 2009, sky-rocketing their name in the UK. Their style has changed a lot from their earlier years and with a new album, Opposites, being released later this year it's anyone's guess what they'll go on to do next. They're an amazing live band with spectacular stage presence and general talent which coupled with their exceptional and unique song writing abilities produces an experience which is in my opinion phenomenal.

But it's all well-and-good me saying this, so here's some samples to make your own minds up from. There's far too many wonders to list them all here so I'll just choose a few which represent them well for now, but I can't urge you strongly enough to check out a whole range of their work. Their style has changed so much from their early work to their newest releases whilst having experimented more every step of the way, so if nothing I've linked is your cup of tea I'd strongly suggest having a small look round at some of their other work just in case you come across a treasure or two.

Spoiler:

So I guess the question is, how do you feel about Biffy Clyro? What are your expectations for their new album being released this year?

kuzronk

Banned
Years
I heard of them but haven't listened to them. You shouldn't really write it later this year since its already out in most places.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Well okay, by later this year I meant in a few days haha. It's out tomorrow in the UK, I really can't wait! Expect me to come here and fan-girl all day tomorrow once I've listened to it. Anyone else planning to buy it as soon as it's out? :D

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
Matt Cardle's version of 'Many of Horror' is clearly the definitive version.

(I kid)

Biffy are quite lovely on occasion, though I can't say I'm a huge fan. If nothing else they have fabulous artwork on occasion - the Only Revolutions cover <3

Years
I always love listening to a band I never head before. I'm not entirely sure what I think of them atm. Certainty not bad, but it usually takes a few listens before I'm entirly sure about a band. I mean if I took Interpol for example, I hated them for years, and now they are practically my favourite band lol.

As a first impression, they kinda sound like Foo Fighters X Electric Light Orchastra X Demon Hunter with a tad of any late 90's early 00's hard rock band (I guess Creed if I had to give it a name).

kuzronk

Banned
Years
@alex what album should I check out? I have been meaning to check them out since 2009 or so. I heard the new album is rather crap.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Matt Cardle's version of 'Many of Horror' is clearly the definitive version.

(I kid)

Biffy are quite lovely on occasion, though I can't say I'm a huge fan. If nothing else they have fabulous artwork on occasion - the Only Revolutions cover <3
Don't even joke about stuff like that. :( But yes, they do have a tendency to produce some pretty amazing art work for their covers, which somewhat beckons the question "What the hell were they thinking with Opposites?". XD But I'm sure the album itself will be awesome! My favourite album art was definitely for Puzzle, it even made me want to get a tattoo relating to it for a short period of time haha.

@alex what album should I check out? I have been meaning to check them out since 2009 or so. I heard the new album is rather crap.
Their highest rated album is Only Revolutions, but my personal favourite is Puzzle so it's up to you really! I probably wouldn't suggest going for any of their much older work since it can be a bit of an acquired taste, but it certainly can't hurt to try. There's No Such Thing As A Jaggy Snake is probably the best representation of their old work, but like I said it's a bit of an acquired taste so you may want to stick to their newer stuff haha. If you do watch that video I suggest letting it get a couple minutes through before exiting if you're not a fan of the initial style. I'm not sure which album was 'rather crap' though, I haven't heard that claim anywhere haha.

Honestly though if you want an album to listen to I can't recommend Revolutions: Live at Wembley highly enough. It's an album comprised of a leg of their UK tour, Revolutions, (I went to see them twice in that same tour sooo good) so it's made up of pieces from many different albums and in my opinion they're all performed incredibly well. They go right from their first albums all the way to their later stuff so there's bound to be something in there you like, but I personally find their live performances to sound much better then their already amazing studio recordings so I can't recommend this album highly enough. :D

In other news; OMG OMG OMG IT'S OUT AHHH AS SOON AS I GET BACK FROM UNI I'M LISTENING TO THE WHOLE THING <333

Tox

fight me
Years
I bought three of their albums on Friday actually, including Opposites. The other two were Blackened Sky and Only Revolutions. Their new single, Black Chandelier, is actually one of my favourites. 57 and Mountains are also up there though! There are probably others that I'll like as well but at the moment, I'm really hooked on those three in particular.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
JUST DOWNLOADED THE NEW ALBUM SO EXCITED AHHH. Just loaded up the first track A Girl And His Cat (when would Biffy ever produce song titles we understand, eh?) and I'm in love already. ;; It's a little heavy on the distortion but still so so good. This is going to be a good day ahhh. Expect much fan-girling to come! ♥

I bought three of their albums on Friday actually, including Opposites. The other two were Blackened Sky and Only Revolutions. Their new single, Black Chandelier, is actually one of my favourites. 57 and Mountains are also up there though! There are probably others that I'll like as well but at the moment, I'm really hooked on those three in particular.
Those are three of my favourites too, especially when 57 is played live. Have you heard the version from Live At Wembley? It's sooo good - same with Mountains. I'm expecting great things from Opposites in respect of live performances at the moment based on what I've heard so far, it's seeming like the perfect festival album! I definitely suggest checking out Puzzle at some point though, it's their best work imo. :)

so after listening to "There's No Such Thing as a Jaggy Shake" I couldn't help but be reminded of another band I know.
I'll be honest I don't really see the resemblance. XD This music seems a lot more upbeat and a completely different feel than Biffy... although the heavily distorted guitar at parts and the horrid shouting in the second verse are very similar lmao.

Back