• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My first Gen V Team (Wi-Fi OU)

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
So I've made a competitive team for Gen V OU, and got a 2-1 win-loss record before deciding to post the build here.

===========================================================================================

Swampert @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Typical Swampert Lead for setting up SR. Roar can rack up SR damage and cripple set-uppers that have gotten a boost from Calm Mind and the like. Ice Beam can do decent damage to leads such as Gliscor, not to mention the various Dragons. Earthquake is obvious STAB.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Surf
- Dark Pulse

My favorite new Dragon of Gen V is the first Special Sweeper of my team. A Timid Nature and Choice Scarf usually allows it to get off one attack before it needs to switch. Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse are STAB, with Flamethrower and Surf providing for decent coverage.

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spe
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Heatran is the first part of my team's FWG core, and my second Special Sweeper. Flamethrower for STAB over Fire Blast due to consistency. Dragon Pulse for Dragons. HP Grass hits its Ground/Water/Rock weakness set, and Earth Power for more coverage.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 212 HP / 16 Atk / 180 Def / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Ah, Gyarados. The second part of my team's core and one of my all-time favorites. I decided to go with the BulkyGyara version to be able to take more hits. It can absorb Water, Fighting, and Ground attacks aimed at Heatran fairly well, and strike back with STAB Waterfall and Earthquake. Taunt cripples Pokemon trying to cripple Gyarados with things like Thunder Wave and Roar.

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

Virizion is the final part of my core and my favorite out of the new legendary pokemon trio. It can absorb Electric and Rock attacks aimed at Gyarados, and can be a lure for Heatran's Flash Fire. After a Swords Dance, Virizion can use its STAB attacks to OHKO most things it runs into, with Stone Edge providing for decent coverage with Close Combat.

Forretress @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def/ 80 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Payback

I could not think of a final pokemon, and eventually decided to go with Forretress. Being able to Rapid Spin away entry hazards and set up Toxic Spikes is a huge plus, not to mention being a secondary lure for Heatran with its x4 Fire weakness. Payback hits Ghosts that try to block Rapid Spin.

===========================================================================================

Well, that's it. It's done fairly well in the 3 battles I've had with it, but I'd like some input and see if there are any changes I could make.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
You've certainly made a team that deserves some congratulations! Well done! On first glance, it seems you have no outstanding weaknesses. I mean, DD Scrafty could be an issue for you, seeing as it can do some mentionable damage to Hydreigon, Virizion, and Heatran. But if you're already doing well in battles than maybe it won't, plus you do have it countered with Virizion. On the topic though, you could theoretically replace Flamethrower on Hydreigon for Focus Blast if Scrafty does give your team a harder time than speculated, but I don't really foresee that happening. Maybe just test it out and see how you like it?

Forretress @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Payback

I could not think of a final pokemon, and eventually decided to go with Forretress. Being able to Rapid Spin away entry hazards and set up Toxic Spikes is a huge plus, not to mention being a secondary lure for Heatran with its x4 Fire weakness. Payback hits Ghosts that try to block Rapid Spin.

In all honesty, your Forretress set is just fine. There is no real flaw with it. I just wanted to suggest a change in EVs. Forretress likes 252 HP / 176 Defense / 80 Special Defense, that way, you can really exploit Forretress' defenses, and give it a good dose of physical bulk. In my opinion, investing full EVs into Special Defense just doesn't seem worth it cause, no matter what, Forretress just isn't going to take a STAB Fire Blast from opposing Heatran. However, that doesn't mean that your special variation is completely useless. It's actually extremely viable, its just depends on what kind of opponents you are facing. I also want to mention Volt Switch to you. It's excellent for eluding trappers, primarily, and good for getting Forretress out of the common switch-ins.

So, this wasn't really a rate at all. Just something for you to think about and maybe test out. You have an awesome team in the works here, I really hope it continues to work out well for you!

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
Thanks for the input. You have a point about Forretress' EVs, so I will make that change.

As far as Volt Switch goes, I already have Shed Shell to escape from trappers. And I have not yet encountered a Scraftry, so I haven't had need for Focus Blast.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
The one glaring weakness I see in this team is the huge fighting weakness. Pokemon like Terrakion can come in, set up and wreck this team apart. Sand and Rain absolutely destroys this team too, especially when they have Excadrill and Toxicroak, respectively. My only suggestion for now is to replace Gyarados with Gliscor as it seems to be randomly put there and the only thing I can see it do for your team is come in and set up on some fighting types. (Not Terrakion or Conkeldurr because they get Stone Edge) I also suggest Gyro Ball >>>>>>>>>>>> Payback on Forretress since Payback only hits Gengar and Chandelure hard. (Jellicent laughs with Will-O-Wisp.)

I'll come back later. This is still a pretty solid team especially being your first gen V team.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Water + Ground leaves you walled by Grass Pokemon (and Shedinja to an extent). Use Stone Edge instead, since it provides good coverage alongside Waterfall, though it leaves you walled by Empoleon (who isn't seen much in Gen V OU anyway).

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Since you're using a bulky Gyarados set, why don't you opt for Bounce over Earthquake? You're not going to hit anything much with Earthquake, unlike Bounce, which can ruin Fighting-types that run amok in this metagame. Not to mention that chance of paralysis which can generally help your team. I've had experiences where Gyarados swept an entire team with just Bounce. You might be able to experience that too.

Also, on Forretress, why don't you consider using Gyro Ball over Payback? Like Spino said, you wouldn't want to stay in the field especially if your opponent can outspeed and can KO you.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
The one glaring weakness I see in this team is the huge fighting weakness. Pokemon like Terrakion can come in, set up and wreck this team apart. Sand and Rain absolutely destroys this team too, especially when they have Excadrill and Toxicroak, respectively. My only suggestion for now is to replace Gyarados with Gliscor as it seems to be randomly put there and the only thing I can see it do for your team is come in and set up on some fighting types. (Not Terrakion or Conkeldurr because they get Stone Edge) I also suggest Gyro Ball >>>>>>>>>>>> Payback on Forretress since Payback only hits Gengar and Chandelure hard. (Jellicent laughs with Will-O-Wisp.)

I'll come back later. This is still a pretty solid team especially being your first gen V team.

I'm not replacing Gyarados, as it's part of the team's core. And it's not random, as I use it to absorb Water, Ground, and Fighting moves aimed at Heatran. I do like Gyarados and do not wish to replace it. I do see how sand hurts this team, but 3 of my team are immune to sand damage. I don't see it being a huge problem.

Water + Ground leaves you walled by Grass Pokemon (and Shedinja to an extent). Use Stone Edge instead, since it provides good coverage alongside Waterfall, though it leaves you walled by Empoleon (who isn't seen much in Gen V OU anyway).

Heatran deals with Grass Pokemon pretty effectively, as does Hydreigon's Flamethrower, so I don't really see a problem with that. I think Virizion can also deal with Empoleon fairly effectively with a Super-Effective STAB Close Combat.

Since you're using a bulky Gyarados set, why don't you opt for Bounce over Earthquake? You're not going to hit anything much with Earthquake, unlike Bounce, which can ruin Fighting-types that run amok in this metagame. Not to mention that chance of paralysis which can generally help your team. I've had experiences where Gyarados swept an entire team with just Bounce. You might be able to experience that too.

Also, on Forretress, why don't you consider using Gyro Ball over Payback? Like Spino said, you wouldn't want to stay in the field especially if your opponent can outspeed and can KO you.

I will consider Bounce on Gyarados, as someone else mentioned a fighting weakness.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I'm not replacing Gyarados, as it's part of the team's core. And it's not random, as I use it to absorb Water, Ground, and Fighting moves aimed at Heatran. I do like Gyarados and do not wish to replace it. I do see how sand hurts this team, but 3 of my team are immune to sand damage. I don't see it being a huge problem.
But Gyarados does nothing for your team but absorb fighting type moves, which Gliscor does so much better. That said, it also counters Excadrill and Terrakion, probably your biggest weaknesses. You already cover Water and Ground type with Virizion and Hydreigon.
When I said you're weak to Sand, I meant Sandstorm teams. Sand Pokemon like Excadrill and Landorus can wreck this team apart, and Gyarados loses to both of them. The changes I'd make for this team are these:
C/P'd from Smogon...
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Ice Fang / Facade
move 4: Taunt / Protect
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Poison Heal
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe

This is the Gliscor set you want. It beats most fighting types, and all the ones that your team has trouble to. I recommend to use it instead of Gyarados.

With Gyarados gone, you won't need Rapid Spin anymore. I feel like Forretress won't help anymore but absorb Ice type moves, which Heatran does better.
I recommend Ferrothorn instead.
name: Standard
move 1: Spikes / Stealth Rock
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Gyro Ball / Protect / Thunder Wave
move 4: Power Whip / Protect
nature: Relaxed
item: Leftovers / Shed Shell
evs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe
This guy and Gliscor are best buddies and form great synergy together. This guy is superior to Forretress in a lot of ways other than Rapid Spin and Toxic Spikes. I personally prefer Gyro Ball and Power Whip >>> Protect and T-Wave. And since Swampert is also gonna be replaced, you can go with Stealth Rock >>> Spikes.

About Swampert, it seems like you used it only because it sets up Stealth Rock, when it forms no form of synergy with any of your Pokemon except Gyarados, who is gone now. Landorus is still a problem to this team if it has HP Ice, and Mamoswine can beat this team now. My only suggestion is to change your lead to one of my favorite anti-weather leads, Rotom-W.
name: Choice
move 1: Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
This guy is like the glue of this team. Beats Mamoswine, beats Landorus, beats Gliscor, beats Excadrill, etc. It takes all Ice and Fire moves aimed at this team. The Choice items is up to you, Scarf can outspeed some Landorus and OHKO with HP Ice (which is what you want.) Although personally, I prefer Specs if it's a lead.

This is what I think would make your team better. If you don't wanna take my suggestions, then good for you. But remember, this is a Rate My Team thread, so you should expect changes you wouldn't want.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
Spino: Thing about your suggestions is, I want to keep the Fire/Water/Grass core of my team. Taking Gyarados ruins that. That's the one thing I don't want to change. I'm willing to make other changes, however.

Back