• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Cipher

Call me Fuxydia~!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016
The map is good but, their is something weird to me in this specific place in the map. (The cave tiles arent placed like the left side)

1bcdrm89enev0sizg.jpg

Here is the first map in my new pokemon ROM hack!
Hope you Like it!!!

e1g7oxgs9a5zzb8zg.jpg

It continues on to the next map.

yep_by_sera_hs-d8ckvyf.png

As for your map, I'd give it a 5/10.
It's very basic, and boring, the only interesting thing is that Lugia Statue.
You should use more than one type of house per town, and try a different path maybe?
And, is there really any point of all that water, if you can't get to it? Why not just get rid of it, or maybe put something better there?

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
It continues on to the next map.

EDIT: Sorry, image was deleted.

As for your map, I'd give it a 5/10.
It's very basic, and boring, the only interesting thing is that Lugia Statue.
You should use more than one type of house per town, and try a different path maybe?
And, is there really any point of all that water, if you can't get to it? Why not just get rid of it, or maybe put something better there?

Ok thanks ill try to make it look better!

Last edited:

Bill Cipher

Call me Fuxydia~!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016
693d9d01480b1608ad1dc25866cc2348.png

I made a Cave Map.

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 10, 2015
New to this, so I appologize if I'm doing this all incorrectly.

Review
I made a Cave Map.

Spoiler:

This map is very simple and clean. Seems very fitting for an early game cave since you're not likely to get lost in it. The only thing I have to say against it is that there are too many clusters of rocks. It could benefit with some use of negative inside the clusters, especially since there's only 3 variants of the rock types. Overall, decent map and I like it.

EDIT: Had a submission question, but Hack helped me out so it's all set now. :)

Last edited:

Mr.Wurmple

Advanced Wurmple Trainer
Years
693d9d01480b1608ad1dc25866cc2348.png

I made a Cave Map.

Spoiler:
Well, I think it's a very good map. It's perfect for a starting cave. You've done everything right with this cave. But I think it would be cool, if you made it more like a puzzle. But, that depends of, if it's a starting cave, or if it's a "normal" cave.
I'll give a 10/10 ^^

Now for my...
It's been a long time since I hacked last, so I was bored and, then I made this somehow.
Warning: Big picture
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Now for my...
It's been a long time since I hacked last, so I was bored and, then I made this somehow.
Warning: Big picture
Spoiler:

Your map, to me, looks true to RSE. Your main town layout looks nice, however there are a few odd places - for example the left-cave entrance is almost covered by the building, and the path leading off the bottom-right/bottom-right are cramped, not much space to get through. It would be more inkeeping with the rest of the open map if there was more space to move in the area.

I'm also not sure of what to make by the acro bike pipe. Do people in this town get around on bikes exclusively? I'm assuming the player has to have the acro bike at this stage otherwise they'd be a bit stuck ):.

I'm not a big fan of your tree placement. It's a bit too sporadic for my case and would be helped with a least some uniformity. Not to say it all has to be square, just less random overall.

7/10

Map Name: Undecided
ROM: FR (pure, no custom tiles)

I would love some feedback on this map - I've tried to somewhat emulate the typical FR mapping style, with a few tweaks to try and make the map less rigid. Please forgive the creative use of waterfalls, once I look at the map in-game I'll see how bad they look :'). I'm not used to mapping in just FR tiles (haven't done it in like 3 years now) so any feedback on use of trees, shapes, placement, paths, etc. would be nice. Not really fussed on an actual rating aha.

Spoiler:

Years
Map Name: Undecided
ROM: FR (pure, no custom tiles)

I would love some feedback on this map - I've tried to somewhat emulate the typical FR mapping style, with a few tweaks to try and make the map less rigid. Please forgive the creative use of waterfalls, once I look at the map in-game I'll see how bad they look :'). I'm not used to mapping in just FR tiles (haven't done it in like 3 years now) so any feedback on use of trees, shapes, placement, paths, etc. would be nice. Not really fussed on an actual rating aha.

Spoiler:

First, you've got quite a few tile errors with your tree shading and general use of the tiles, I've circled them in red.

I personally think your mountains could use having tighter layers (as in, there not being so much space between), particularly the left-most one. Those small rocks also look weird being directly adjacent one another - they tend to look better when placed diagonally. I think the way the player enters the gatehouse at the bottom looks a bit awkward because the entrance isn't centred, so I'd fix that as well as the error with the windows. I also think the use of the thin trees there looks really awkward, and would probably be better off with only the top, say, three or four being there, and the rest being replaced with the cliff instead. The cliff there could also be pushed to the left one or two tiles, because right now it is directly next to the path and makes that area look cramped.

You seem to be underusing the five grass tiles you have at your disposal which makes the ground look somewhat monotonous and bland, so I'd vary that up, too. I'm not a fan of how the mountains go directly into the water; I think it would look better if the water border tile was used. The tiles directly to the right of the gym that border on the cliff are lower than the ones on the left which makes the gym look structurally unsafe, so I'd push them up one tile too. I think you could do with using the thin trees elsewhere on the map, too, again for some variety. Finally, a really minor nitpick, but I'd make the middle layer here extend to the left a little more so the cliff looks slightly smoother and natural.

The general layout is very nice and the size of the map is appropriate, in that it isn't too empty or too cramped (it is in some places, but that can be easily fixed). The division the water brings gives the map a nice sense of depth and character, which is nice too. The terrain is well varied and overall the map isn't too crowded or too bland, so I'd give it about a 6/10, with it being so low only because of the technical errors and nitpicks I've described above. Hope I wasn't too harsh!

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Kay, tweaked to address 90% of those issues I think!

Spoiler:

Tbh tree shadows confuse me. Only add the shadow for multiple rows of trees is it? Rather than throw shadows on any un-open edges?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nex

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
Would you guys be so willing as to rate a few maps I've been working on.
Spoiler:

The first one is a small town located in the plains at the base of some mountains. The second is directly east of the first map. Any feedback is aprreciated.:D

Sry bout that spherical, completely forgot
portsmithcity_by_sera_hs-d8cksuw.bmp

I've fixed alot more stuff. But I should mention a few things.
1. The rocks to the north, aren't going to be used for Smashing. In my hack there was a recent earthquake, and this is the aftermath, after beating the third gym, the rocks will be moved, which is why the sailor is there. To try move them.
2. The cut bush in front of the gym is like the one in Fire Red, you need to get HM cut, before you can get to the gym.
3. I've added the second pier, and shading.

I like to look of youre map, I feel like the mountain is a little bare on the upper unacessailable area. The lower dock are is a great touch. All in all good job 8/10.

Last edited:
Years
Spoiler:

The first one is a small town located in the plains at the base of some mountains. The second is directly east of the first map. Any feedback is aprreciated.:D

Please edit your post to include a review of a user's map to comply with the rules of this thread, or I'll have to delete your post. D:

Years
--IMG--

Sry bout that spherical, completely forgot
Review:
For your first map:
1. The flowers are too much. Maybe only place a few, or re-arrange it?
2. The path at the T-hilly thing, it's broken off. Maybe remove the bottom?
For your second map:
1. The center island, has a grass on path. It is a feature or what? I never see them.
2. The lake looked like too squared. Maybe give it more shape?
Rating: 7.5/10

So, for my maps:
Map Name: A Simple Route
Map Game: From Emerald ROM
Comments: I haven't creating map since a long time ago. I only make map for fun, I never have an idea to build a hack.
Mapshot is on attachment.

Dionen

deprived of sleep
Years
Review:
So, for my maps:
Map Name: A Simple Route
Map Game: From Emerald ROM
Comments: I haven't creating map since a long time ago. I only make map for fun, I never have an idea to build a hack.
Mapshot is on attachment.
It's simple and clean, probably a good route 1
Maybe toooo simple
I might suggest you this:
lR4oSGR.png
It would add some dynamic to your map, and make the path through the lake more rewarding

Years
portsmithcity_by_sera_hs-d8cksuw.bmp

I've fixed alot more stuff. But I should mention a few things.
1. The rocks to the north, aren't going to be used for Smashing. In my hack there was a recent earthquake, and this is the aftermath, after beating the third gym, the rocks will be moved, which is why the sailor is there. To try move them.
2. The cut bush in front of the gym is like the one in Fire Red, you need to get HM cut, before you can get to the gym.
3. I've added the second pier, and shading.

REVIEW:

5 / 10

+ THE MAP IS PRETTY WELL STRUCTURED
+ I LIKE THE HOUSES BUILT INTO THE PIERS
+ I LIKE THE IDEA OF THE ROCKS/EARTHQUAKE

- THE FIRE RED/LEAF GREEN TILESETS ARE HORRIBLE
- THE STILL WATER NEAR THE TOP OF THE MAP IS A STRANGE SHAPE
- THE LAYOUT OF THE TREES IS A BIT SQUARE

Jaizu

Average rom hacker
Years

Review:
That doesn't look bad but I bet you can improve it!
First of all, you should think about adding shadows to the houses.
The mountain in the bottom part of the map has actually no sense.
I think you should put less flowers and add more trees.

Rate: 5/10

------------------------

Map name: Route 1
Map Game: Fire Red
Map:
Spoiler:

Years
Hey, I made my first new town fro starting a hack.
I Know it's very simple but it's just a starting town.
I am willing to add tiles soon.

Spoiler:

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024

Spoiler:

Decent for a starting town map. But there's a bit too much unoccupied space. Perhaps you should add another house. but then again, maybe that was intentional or part of your hack's plot.

I'd give it a 6/10.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years

Spoiler:

I would really recommend spicing things up a bit in those large empty areas, maybe do some fenced off fields?
5/10 I like what youre doing with it, it just seems empty.

Heres my newest map, Agairo City(South-East Corner)
Spoiler:

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
I would really recommend spicing things up a bit in those large empty areas, maybe do some fenced off fields?
5/10 I like what youre doing with it, it just seems empty.

Heres my newest map, Agairo City(South-East Corner)
Spoiler:

I think the map overall is too shaped. The buildings are rectangular in a rectangular area with perfectly placed trees all around.
The trees themselves I think are too cartoony and do not fit the Pokemon environment whatsoever.
Plus what are those little brown sperm-like decorations on the walls o.0 Those needs to go away lol
I think the map is also too under-decorated. It's just white and gray with brown doors and green around that. Flowers need to be added outside the area, something of color inside the area... that isn't green or brown or white or gray.
6/10 needs work but can look great in the end.

Years
  • Age 35
  • NY
  • Seen Aug 6, 2018

Spoiler:

About your mapSome good ideas for a first map. I believe it could easily be condensed and that you could add some more tiles (as you mentioned you are willing) to make the overall town prettier or just to fill the empty spaces. I really believe this map, from the overall map size to the route size can be condensed(it's a wide route). If you were going for a big city-type of area, and didn't want to add maps, I would suggest editing a city like Vermilion, which has 8 total inside building map spaces.

Rom: FireRed
Game: A hack I'm working on currently.
Type: A starting route (maybe a bit too detailed?)

Just made this map for a hack I'm currently working on. I've been reading some advice on this thread but some feedback on my actual map would be helpful. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back