• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokemon: Super Rising Thunder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
Some decent progress has been made - I'm almost done with Pikpik Grove (one little dialogue tweak is all I have left to do); and what that means is that the next thing I get to make is a dungeon. A REAL dungeon, not a mini one like we saw earlier, that's larger and more difficult and with some Zelda-like puzzle trickery amid all the standard PMDness. :) I'm excited for that ^__^

Also have another video for you guys :)

The music is not that tinny in game. I promise ^^' Mangling of sound recordings is something my laptop does...

Way back when, I actually posted the script in this video in screenshot form. :) Now, see it in motion! "Lady" Freya the Pidgeotto makes her grand entrance, and Wise Elder Rega the Ledyba takes his leave. We also hear more Final Fantasy music. :)

Years
  • Seen May 20, 2016
Hey Pink Parka, I noticed you have yet to take out the "pokeball" animation. You might want to do that, it sort of breaks the atmosphere of the game when I see the pokemon slide off to the side, then glow and re-appear onscreen. Maybe you could at least eliminate the glow and stars, it would greatly improve the atmosphere.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 10, 2016
Wow, I have to say that this hack seems really interesting. I love the creativeness of it, and you're putting a lot of thought behind the world and the characters. I look forward to seeing exactly where things go.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Lovely update. ^^
The music seems to be fine, though. That's just me, I think.

Anyway, keep it up~

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Yaaaay for video!! :D It's really coming along. Moar dark stuff too. ^^ Nice. From what I could hear of the music, it sounded really good and fitted fine with what was going on. The maps are also looking better (fooorrrreeessttt!!).

Quick question: It looked like Pidgeotto was the only one who had a picture. Are they all going to have pictures in the end or is this left over from before? Also (though it may be my slow computer playing it back) is that event automatic or a walk-up-to-and-press-A thing? If so, is there a possibility that the player will miss it?

One more thing. I made you some userbars based on the support banners I did before. Now you finally have a set. (And I've got something that actually fits my sig).

userbar1t.png

HTML:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=653851][IMG]http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/6568/userbar1t.png[/IMG][/URL]
userbar2yf.png

HTML:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=653851][IMG]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/616/userbar2yf.png[/IMG][/URL]
userbar3.png

HTML:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=653851][IMG]http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/2559/userbar3.png[/IMG][/URL]

Once again, entirely up to you if you want to use them or not. Or if you want any changes, that's perfectly fine. ^^ Regardless, you're making an awesome game PPG.

Last edited:

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
Hey Pink Parka, I noticed you have yet to take out the "pokeball" animation. You might want to do that, it sort of breaks the atmosphere of the game when I see the pokemon slide off to the side, then glow and re-appear onscreen. Maybe you could at least eliminate the glow and stars, it would greatly improve the atmosphere.

Hmm....well, from taking a closer look at the sequence in question, the glow seems to be a effect rather than a graphic :( I'd describe my hacking ability as midtier at best; so what that means is that getting rid of it is entirely beyond my capabilities at the moment, and likely forever (as is getting rid of the entire sequence). I'll see if I can find the star graphics, at least, in unlz.gba or Tile Molester and get rid of em, though ^^

Lovely update. ^^
The music seems to be fine, though. That's just me, I think.

Anyway, keep it up~

Aww, thanks! :) As for the music, maybe it only sounds weird to me because I'm so used to the way it plays in the actual game itself; so the fact it sounds different in the video stands out to me far more than it would to someone who hasn't had to listen to it a dozen times over already for beta-testing purposes =D

Yaaaay for video!! :D It's really coming along. Moar dark stuff too. ^^ Nice. From what I could hear of the music, it sounded really good and fitted fine with what was going on. The maps are also looking better (fooorrrreeessttt!!).

You get excited over the dark stuff? How morbid you are =D But you're in the right place if that's what you want, because there's tons more where that came from ^^ And thanks for the map compliment! Although the dungeons are supposed to be rigid and square and full of corridors and rooms; the towns are where I'm really trying to practice my natural mapping skills and to improve my abilities overall :) I'm so glad it seems to actually be paying off!

Quick question: It looked like Pidgeotto was the only one who had a picture. Are they all going to have pictures in the end or is this left over from before?

Actually, if you watch the third intro video again, Raikou also had a picture :) The "deal" with pictures is that, like in the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, only important characters get one - your team mates, recurring characters (such as the above mentioned Raikou), and the main and minor villains. I cannot give EVERY NPC a mugshot because mugshots take up a graphic slot that would otherwise be used by a pokemon; so other than the 25 free spaces and the 20 or so pokemon that were turned into Fakemon back when this game was Jersey Quest, I can't use any other image slots (or else I would - mugshots for everyone would be pretty cool :) ).

Also (though it may be my slow computer playing it back) is that event automatic or a walk-up-to-and-press-A thing? If so, is there a possibility that the player will miss it?

It is a walk up to and press A event :) As for missing it, it's impossible, because the north and east exits are blocked off by Spearow. The easternmost Spearow won't budge until Tangle Thicket (the first dungeon) is cleared, but the northern one will fly away when you speak to him with a flag activated - a flag that is only set by talking to Rega the Ledyba. :)

Also, I love the new banners! =D I'll update the first post with them, and I think I'll even switch out the old banner in my sig for one of these spiffy new ones :)

BlankPoints

Dumb Apples
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 3, 2023
Dude:classic:this is so amazing :classic:, especially the the storyline. By FF2 soundtracks you mean FF4 with cecil right? I really liked the intro soundtrack with plant.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
Cool. I'll be trying this once I can.

BlankPoints

Dumb Apples
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 3, 2023
So the "black one" is a tire? I thought it was some wise-cracking Diglett under there. Poor Momo :( ... I can't wait till the game comes out :D

pokepokemo

The RPing Challenger!
Years
Oh mi God!!even seeing the pics got me reminded of when I was playing that PMD explorers of the sky.I haven't got the chance to look at the videos but this hack looks great!!!

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hm... I think I might know the solution to removing the truck movement and sound at the beginning of the ROM hack. I think the ASM for the truck movement is actually part of the Introduction ASM routine. So if only if I knew where the ASM for the Pokémon Ruby introduction is... then I might be able to remove the many ASM codes before the ASM code that starts the actual moving around the map. So that way the truck movement in the ROM hack could be removed. So anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing more things in Pokémon: Super Rising Thunder. And I do actually have a suggestion for the world map, prahaps when moving to some place... maybe there could be a battle between a landmark and a dungeon that could happen using a script that will only function once.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
@PokemonShinySilver: A friend of mine looked into that problem for me, and he said pretty much what you did - it's part of the introduction routine. Getting rid of it, on the other hand...I don't even know where to find that information in the ROM; as my brain goes into shutdown mode the moment it's faced with endless rows of numbers. ^^' As for your map battle idea; that's pretty much what I was trying to do with the Mini-Dungeons - little maps to gather items in, and each one has a mandatory battle within. :)

I come bearing screenshots! But before I get to them, I wanted to briefly discuss a unique little gimmick regarding one of the characters in the game, to give you a taste of things to come. :)

A few times in this thread, I've referred to someone named Aspen, aka "the First." He's a Pikachu (the mascot pokemon, who for many of us, myself included, was the first one we met) who has been in a pokeball for 700 years, prior to being released by one of the bad guy's flunkies, a Kadabra named Ozymandias. Devoid of memory - forgetting even his own name - he is groomed to perform acts of evil by those who freed him; his heart clouded by wicked ways. His ultimate goal? To eliminate that miserable little Pichu...

So, what makes him so unique? Well...at one point in the game, a character proclaims she can see Aspen's aura; and asks if you, too, can take note of its color. Is it a brilliant crimson; so like the blood that stains his blade and the passion that once drove his spirit? Or is it a tarnished grey; a pathetic reminder of better times and lost promise? Or do you take the third option and admit you simply cannot see his aura? Each of the three options leads to a different outcome in terms of the character's backstory; and while the game ends the same no matter what you pick; Aspen's motivations for his actions (which are conveyed through internal monologue and/or flashback; as he never speaks, UNLESS...but I don't want to spoil what makes that so special!) in the final act vary greatly depending on what you decide he once was. In short - Aspen is replay value and a complicated deconstruction all rolled up in one =D (You'll see what I mean later on...)

Anyway, it's screenshot time!

Image102-1.png

The flower and leaf graphics (other than the large leaf immediately to the player's right) are credit to Zein and WesleyFG. ^^

Yes, I know that I already posted a virtually identical screenshot to this one...so why am I posting it again? Flowers, dear boys, flowers. :) The large pink blossom is also an animated tile. The flowers/leaves were added in to help make the maps a little more lively and a little less empty; which is a big problem they had previously.

Image103.png

Water tiles by Kagenosensei. Pond grass and lilypad are by Don Patch :)

Your first encounter with water in the game! This little pond is in the first dungeon.

Image105.png

Here, we see our very first dungeon puzzle - a hole! What's it doing there? Damned if I know. How do you get past it? Well...it's not a terrifically difficult puzzle; though it might take a minute or so to get the trick :)

And sadly, the HGSS grass seen in earlier screenshots had to be taken out :( The problem with it is that I've edited all five of the default palettes to fit with all the other tiles we see; and not a single one of these palettes has the range of green shades needed to make HGSS style grass actually look halfway decent. I gave it my best shot and tried several different grass tiles, but it just all looked...really, really ugly ^^' People told me as much back in the day and rather than try and get that type of grass to work, I just went back to the tired and true that Ruby came with. If it ain't broke...

Last edited:

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
Awesome work!

This is just getting better and better! =D. And better. And better still. In short, I'm glad to see progress! As a bit longer, I'm lucky to have found this so early in its development. The people here are awesome, the game will be awesome, and the community wants it. =P. I'm going to be so happy when this comes out, and I hope it'll be even more awesome then.

As a side note, if you need sprites of anything PMD related and worry about using others work, I have done a few rips, mainly on Pokemon, but also a few others. Just, the colors are a bit different for my rips. Usually they are brighter than the Spriters-Resource ones. In any case, if you need them, I can let you use them. Anything to help this along. I brought this up, because I recognized the PMD water =P.

I can't wait for this hack to be complete. It'll be so awesome! =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back