• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

What about the Pokemon fan base annoys you?

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
Years
1. Some people in the fan base take Pokemon -way- too seriously and forget where the fun originally came from Pokemon. I've had people rage quit just because I used an NU Pokemon to beat their Uber...
Wasn't Pokemon originally about stuffing your -favorite- pets (Regardless of "weak" or "strong") into balls and making them fight each other for money?
2. Genwunners - both Gen 1 obsessed and Gen 5 haters
I admit that I didn't like Gen 5 a lot, but to absolutely hate ALL of the Pokemon is ridiculous. Another thing that I think is ridiculous are those Gen 1 purists who cling on to their nostalgia instead of looking forward.
3. Again, people who take this too seriously
I admit that I like competitive battling, and no offense to those who also like it, but I don't stick to tiers. If I wanna use a Pikachu while about to battle someone with "Uber" Pokemon, then I will. The truly skilled trainers are the ones who can win with their favorite Pokemon, and not give a florp about what they are about to fight.
I don't see many of those overly tier-obsessed people (Luckily) here, but I've seen em. Mostly on /vp/.
4. People who try to argue which Pokemon "looks better".
Seriously, that is the most absolutely stupid thing to argue about. We have different eyes, and different perceptions of "cute" and "cool", what's so hard to understand?
Another thing that pisses me off about the fanbase it's those who automatically label you as some idiotic snot-nosed brat just for liking a certain Pokemon.
The reasons that I mentioned above could apply for that too.
It's like there's no such thing as "opinions".

Sorry if I rustled any jimmies / offended someone

But those are just my opinions.

I'm no moderator, but please, be respectful to each other's opinions and try not to turn this thread into an argument...

Last edited:

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
The fan base is so wide, I could probably think of all sorts of things that bug me, but that could be said about everything I guess. That considered it could be much worse.

However I completely agree with your points, especially #4. That is something I find to be very off putting on this forum. I guess everybody's liable to their own opinion, but they often do come off as obnoxious making those kinda of statements.

I gotta say, considering people are always stating how "mature" and "not just for kids anymore" this series is, there's a lot of very childish statements being posted in this place, IMO. That's not necessarily a bad thing, see as I'm not actually sure what age most of the people are that post here are; it's just an observation I've made.

Whatever though, I'm not perfect. I probably bug a lot of people with my posts

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
Years
However I completely agree with your points, especially #4. That is something I find to be very off putting on this forum. I guess everybody's liable to their own opinion, but they often do come off as obnoxious making those kinda of statements.

Yeah, that one is definitely one of the ones that really annoy me! I was also thinking of this forum when I wrote that one.. like you said, it's a bit obnoxious.

audinowho

Unovan Indeedee
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 1, 2024
It bothers me when people ignore Pokemon spinoffs for being spinoffs. It's happened pretty often with new announcements and the dismissal of "not Pokemon B/W / Grey / 3DS / etc". Spinoffs have been getting better in the recent times, and I just think people should give some more thought into them before calling them out. There's plenty of reasons why some of them aren't as good as the main series games, but not being a main series game is not among those reasons.

Years
One thing that gets me on my nerves is that some people think Pokemon is just for kids. I still play Pokemon and I'm almost 20.

Even though they try to appeal to the kid-friendly audience, older fans know the real meaning of the games like competitive battling. That's why I view Pokemon as a game for all ages.

Genwunners come to mind. I understand that people have an opinion and have favorite and least favorite gen and such, but if you're saying that gen 1 is superior and the only "real" gen, then that's silly. Although gen III is my favorite and gen IV is my least favorite, I still appreciate all 5 generations and can't wait to see what lies ahead in gen VI.

I agree with this too.

Genwunners get on my nerves a lot. It's like they cling on to nostalgia and say things like "GEN 1 IS THE BEST!" or "There will only be 151 Pokemon!"

I started with 3rd Gen and I never complained about being a late bloomer, 5th Gen is my favorite and 1st Gen is my least fave but I still appreciate all generations. Not even the 5th Gen Pokemon's designs stopped me from playing Black and White and I have to say most of the newer Pokemon are actually quite cute and some others are total badass.

Those people should look at playing the newer games cos look at all the awesome changes they're missing out on.

Last edited:

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Genwunners come to mind. I understand that people have an opinion and have favorite and least favorite gen and such, but if you're saying that gen 1 is superior and the only "real" gen, then that's silly. Although gen III is my favorite and gen IV is my least favorite, I still appreciate all 5 generations and can't wait to see what lies ahead in gen VI.

I agree with Hikari on how some say Pokemon is for kids. I'm 20 and still love Pokemon and there are people on this forums older than me who still love and play Pokemon. If more people knew of the intense competitive aspect of the game, then they probably would see it's not just for kids, and how adults enjoy it too.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Pretty much everything you said.

Especially the competitive battlers. Ugh I used to be one and just ugh.

droomph

weeb
Years
Genwunners. Who gives a crap. It's a freaking game. If you don't like it that badly, just don't play it instead of wasting bandwidth.

Competitive Battlers who take themselves wayyyyy too seriously. Seriously, it's a game. I know part of the fun is the technical aspects, but just don't go too far with it. Have a random battle with your favorite Pokémon once in a while.

Koiko

A Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist
Years
All of it ;)

Also the people who worship poke(ascent)mon and the people who want to see a real action poke(ascent)mon movie

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
There are a lot of things that bug me about the fan base. There are people at my school who call Pokemon babyish. That is not true at all, Pokemon is for people of all ages. Also, some people think the older games are bad due to graphics and things like that - I mean come on guys! This is 17 years of Pokemon we're talking about, there weren't always moving sprites and stretched characters. Even with the newer games, I find bunch of haters due to nostalgia. You can enjoy the new games as well as the old ones, you don't have to like one particular game!

And how people use legendaries in Wi-fi battles, come on take a real challenge :P. It is a much funner battle when you use Pokemon that aren't things like Arceus, Mewtwo etc.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
-People who absolutely hate the older generations. I know all of you whine about the Gen. I fans, but the Gen. V fans are even worse. You can't mention that you dislike Gen. V around one of them without hearing "YOU'RE A FAT GENWUNER HOO LIVS IN MOM'S BASEMENT!!!11".

-People who think that the awful Pokemon Anime is actually a good show. It's not. It's an incoherent, childish mess that lacks basic plot and structure. It's infested with boring, predictable characters, and even in it's early days, it was still bad.

-Pokemon purists. The ones who think that the only good RPGs are the Pokemon games, and that every other RPG deserves to burn in hell. These imbeciles also think that the Pokemon anime is the "B3ST3ST 4N1M3 3V4R!!!11", and that any trading card game besides Pokemon is a ripoff.

Years
The thing about Genwunners is that they can't admit/acept that they don't like pokemon games anymore, and half of them didn't even give a try to gen. iv or gen. 5
Also generation iv was, in my opinion, the best generation so far and it's so underrated

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
- People whom go into arguments that state their opinion as fact. These people think from their perspective it must be the right thing because they said it was. This pokemon is better just cause, or this character is absolutely rubbish. State something to substantiate your claims otherwise they are just baseless.

- I don't mind people that prefer one generation over the other. Not everyone is going to like the same thing. I just don't care for the people that choose to bash everything and anything about a said generation they just don't like. We get it you can voice your opinion, but at some point your negative on a matter is just too much for anyone to fathom or care to hear.

- Competitive battlers that accentuate their self importance. Whip de do you ranked up on a leader board nor you should broadcast your arrogance to the masses. Honestly people are we supposed to care you are the best battler? It's all good in nice and it is something to be proud about, but not at the people were you have a huge ego which is what some competitive battlers have.

- Habituation complainers annoy me quite a lot. They complain about the same issue yet it doesn't get solved. Like "I disdain the Anime they should remove Ash". Or "I want a Pokemon Special adoption, cause the current sux". Yes we have year this already. Or habituation stuff in general "Oh noes I need a Pokemon MMO or I need every region in one game."

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Definitely people who think there is no Pokémon past generation I. In my opinion, the people who think like that cannot really call themselves Pokémon fans at all. They're just fans of RBY (or maybe Green). That's my biggest pet peeve about the Pokémon fan base at the moment.

IllusDark8

The fanbase is extremely wide and comes at all directions. The Manga, Movies and TV Series and even to the games.

What bugs me the most is the Anime Portion of the Pokemon Fanbase, specifically the "Shipping".

I understand that characters can be in love but honestly, you start to build off your own fanbase with "Shipping". So, that's my least favourite and some of the things already mentioned above, I totally agree with.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Definitely people who think there is no Pokémon past generation I. In my opinion, the people who think like that cannot really call themselves Pokémon fans at all. They're just fans of RBY (or maybe Green). That's my biggest pet peeve about the Pokémon fan base at the moment.

This is what I hate. This pretentious "You're not a true fan if-" bullcrap.

In all truth, you're a Pokemon fan if you enjoyed any of the games. You have no right to call someone "not a fan", even if they enjoy a different part of the series than you do. Yes, even if you think that the older gens were better, you are still a fan.

There is no criteria that dictates what is and isn't a fan.

Years
Some of the stupid ideas that the fanbase has, including but not limited to: They should all regions in one game, Gamefreak should accept fan designs for Pokemon, they should change the starters type, Pokemon should be like Final Fantasy, Gamefreak should make a console main series game, Pokemon should be harder, Pokemon can't make a 3DS game since I don't have one, they should make a game where you play as Ash, Pokemon shouldn't be turn based, and more.

Also, people who say the game is too easy yet they go out of their way to catch a Pokemon that's super effective against said gym. Also, people who say Pokemon isn't for kids.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
This is what I hate. This pretentious "You're not a true fan if-" bullcrap.

In all truth, you're a Pokemon fan if you enjoyed any of the games. You have no right to call someone "not a fan", even if they enjoy a different part of the series than you do. Yes, even if you think that the older gens were better, you are still a fan.

There is no criteria that dictates what is and isn't a fan.

It's just bad form and doesn't really make sense. If you only liked one set of games in a franchise and didn't like the rest of them, it doesn't make sense to imply that you're a fan of the entire franchise. If I hated all Final Fantasy games except for XI, I wouldn't be a fan of the franchise, I would be a fan of Final Fantasy XI. See what I mean?

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
I will admit that Gen 1 is my favorite for purely nostalgic reasons, but I do not think that it is vastly superior to any of the other Gens. It does annoy me when people try to make a case for that when it is really just pure opinion.

One thing that really annoys me are the fans that think that EV training is everything, and if you don't EV train then you really aren't playing the game correctly. Also fans that think that you need to pick the strongest Pokemon to have fun with the game. There is nothing wrong with playing the game with Pokemon that you think look cool or playing with your favorites.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
It's just bad form and doesn't really make sense. If you only liked one set of games in a franchise and didn't like the rest of them, it doesn't make sense to imply that you're a fan of the entire franchise. If I hated all Final Fantasy games except for XI, I wouldn't be a fan of the franchise, I would be a fan of Final Fantasy XI. See what I mean?

Liking a franchise for one aspect is something you people just have to deal with. I know I'm not a "real fan" for disliking Generation IV and V, but I don't care. I still enjoy playing the older games, and there's nothing wrong with that. There is nothing that dictates what a "true fan" is. It's just an excuse for people like you to exclude others from the fanbase.

I only really hate the fans who don't play the newer games because of the designs of the Pokemon. Crappy reasoning like that is the reason why "genwunners" are hated throughout the entire fan-base.

Aw, nice, you hate people like me because we have different opinions. So because I prefer the older generations and dislike 99% of the 5th generation, I automatically deserved to be hated?

Just wonderful.

And this, my friends, is why I really, really dislike this fanbase.

Back