• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you buy both games?

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
Uh, the last time I've brought both versions of a game was HeartGold and Soulsilver. Before that, it was Diamond and Pearl(though Pearl was given to me as a birthday present), and before that was Ruby and sapphire because I haven't bought both versions of a game in forever lmao. u___u;;;

I don't really go out of my way to purchase both versions of a game. In fact, I just try to stick with one, but if the other version impresses me enough for whatever reason, I suppose there's no harm in getting the other one. /shrugs.

TeeheeLP

Programmer
Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2013
I usually buy one and then the third game when that one comes out, and the one that I buy usually alternates between the 'primary' game and the 'secondary' game. The only exception to this is the first Generation in which I only owned Pokemon Yellow.

Then there was Pokemon Silver which is the secondary game. I didn't own Crystal until much later, but I still got it.

Then I had Pokemon Ruby which is the primary game, followed swiftly by Emerald.

And then it was Pearl (secondary) and then Platinum.

And then Black (primary). There was no third edition to GenV, although I intend on getting Black 2 once it has its English release.

Interestingly enough, my cousin always buys the game that I didn't. She had Gold, Saphire, Diamond and White. None of the third editions though which is a shame. They're usually much better than the original two since a lot of the game is revised and improved.

Wow, it's pretty much the same with me and my sister, except I don't own any 2. generation game and didn't get Platinum.

ShinyJohtomaster

Shiny Hunter
Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2013
I don't have any siblings that like the games, so it's either buy both for me or just trade over wifi. I don't have very many friends that like the games either.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I usually buy both because nobody I know really plays Pokemon irl, and idk I guess I just do there isn't a real reason. Plus now that I'm kind of into trading I need someplace to store all my Pokemon! That's at least 2 games' PCs full, basically forever because it's a huge pain to transfer all those Pokemon over. (did it once, never again omfg)

Years
I usually end up getting both versions, one is normally intended for my brother but since he retired from Pokemon I now hoard them when I need to trade for version exclusives. The other one counts as my "main" version which I do my main playthrough on.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
BW2 will be the first time I'm buying both versions since Red and Blue. Like I've owned the third versions as well as one of the initial pair (I own Diamond and Platinum), but never two of a pair since the original games.

Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2012
Not really,I never really buy the games because they're ridiculously expensive where I live, so I just pick my favorite and play that one; sometimes I play the other but most of the time I just stick with one (such as Blue, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, White, Black², etc.)

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I always bought both up until FireRed came out, then I realized it was too much damn money for essentially the exact same game, lol.

Years
I've never possessed two games from the same series - I tend to put a lot of effort into researching both versions to make sure I get the one (and only one lol) I like best :)

Apricots

Cream Puff
Years
Sort of... I always get one of them, and my husband gets the other.
Back in the day though I used to get every single one.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
Years
I used to be determined to get both when I was a kid, but the older I get the more I'll generally rely on just one. My sister will generally buy the other version opposite mine, so if I need a Pokemon traded over to my team she can catch it for me and likewise.

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
I definitely did back in Gen III, but once Gen IV came around, I didn't see the point in buying the other version when I could just trade for everything online. Same reason I didn't buy Platinum.

Definitely buying White 2, though; unlike Platinum, it's different enough from its prequels to be worth the purchase. ;)

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I don't really see the point of buying two games tbh :P. The only difference was different Pokemon and that didn't really bother me because I could easily trade :3. Like Xtina, I check which version has the Pokemon I like best then get that one.

Back