• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen But... why Nintendo DS?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The 3DS is cool and all, but I think that they made B2/W2 for the regular DS system is because not many people can afford to upgrade to a 3DS and knowing that, GameFreak wanted those players to still enjoy playing the game.

dragonnathan025

Pokemon Breeder
Years
Interesting, but so far, the option to go for a 3DS just for Dream Radar or the Pokedex Pro doesn't seem worth it, so they're losing money by not giving a choice for the two systems.

It doesn't seem to be too much of an issue to adapt between systems, look at the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. You can play it on Gamecube, or its upgrade, the Wii. So, why couldn't they do it for Black 2 and White 2?

And then you get to the Walmart promotion.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I disagree to these points.

I meant "not go over well" with the fan base, not their sales- I only referenced BW2's sales to point out how popular it is. There isn't any way for BW2 to make use of 3D, so the only benefit for it to be made (at the time it was developed) for the 3DS would be slightly increased graphics. I don't think that is a good enough reason for people to buy a 3DS solely to play BW2.

I honestly believe it was made for the DS/i because there wasn't much reason for it not to be. Generation 6 will probably have ways to actually abuse 3D that isn't confined to an app.

The same held true for the Generation 3 to 4 transition, I think. Emerald was released for the GBA despite the DS being out for a year. About 2 years later, Diamond and Pearl were released for the DS and brought with it actual wifi features (which was the selling point for the DS).

It seems to me that Gamefreak doesn't like jumping on the bandwagon too quickly, and likes to take time developing new features. I think it was a smart decision to start their venture into 3D/AR Pokemon with the Dream Radar app.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
It doesn't seem to be too much of an issue to adapt between systems, look at the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. You can play it on Gamecube, or its upgrade, the Wii. So, why couldn't they do it for Black 2 and White 2?
The Wii version of Twilight Princess isn't an upgrade. Twilight Princess began development as a Gamecube game, and was always intended to be released on the Gamecube. But because the development period took so long, it became the last Nintendo-published Gamecube game released, and also a Wii launch title. The ONLY enhancements in the Wii version is the motion control when shooting something, and the entire game is horizontally mirrored in order to make Link right handed (he's left handed in all other games). The graphics between the Gamecube and Wii versions are EXACTLY THE SAME.

And also, there's a much greater difference between the DS and the 3DS, in comparison to the Gamecube and Wii.

Gamecube ---> Wii
is the same as
Game Boy ---> Game Boy Color
or
DS ---> DSi

DS ---> 3DS
is the same as
Wii ---> Wii U
or
NES ---> SNES

It seems to me that Gamefreak doesn't like jumping on the bandwagon too quickly, and likes to take time developing new features. I think it was a smart decision to start their venture into 3D/AR Pokemon with the Dream Radar app.
Also keep in mind that Game Freak was the first company to receive 3DS dev kits, meaning that they're probably been working on a 3DS Pokemon engine since 2009.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Game production takes a long time, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened. I know this is about Pokemon which is a lot simpler than Zelda and doesn't require as expansive of a world etc obviously, but Skyward Sword, released in 2012, started production in 2009. (just used as an example of length). I'm assuming 3D is difficult to use in a game, so I'm sure they could've started in '09.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Ok I Understand that its theoretically a Split 3rd Version and should technically be on the same system as the First Versions
And you answered your own question.

It wouldn't have made any sense for GF to develop the direct sequels to BW - this generation's equivalent of Emerald or Platinum - for an entirely different platform. Of course the third versions were going to be, and are, on the same system as the first ones.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
And you answered your own question.

It wouldn't have made any sense for GF to develop the direct sequels to BW - this generation's equivalent of Emerald or Platinum - for an entirely different platform. Of course the third versions were going to be, and are, on the same system as the first ones.
Yes but since they are Direct Sequels Then Technically Sequels should be on Improved Hardware instead of just Improved Software

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I doubt it would have been since 2009

Probably since Just after Pokemon Black and White though
As I said on the previous page, Game Freak is always working on stuff, whether its for a game or not. They mentioned that the C-Gear itself took 4 years to develop, meaning they were working on Black/White while they were working on Platinum and HG/SS.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
As I said on the previous page, Game Freak is always working on stuff, whether its for a game or not. They mentioned that the C-Gear itself took 4 years to develop, meaning they were working on Black/White while they were working on Platinum and HG/SS.
Correction they were working on BW before Platinum

TrainerTori

Growlithe Fan
Years
I've not been into investigating the marketing of pokemon games really, but has anyone been curious about the "big news" we've got coming up?
could it potentially be a 3D pokemon game?
I would say that I'd be sorely disappointed if it turned out to be BW 3D, but I can see them being all over that creative pun (BW1, BW2, BW3(d)) but at the same time, it's extreme overkill for that plot, so probably not.

We may be looking at a 3D RSE though.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Yes but since they are Direct Sequels Then Technically Sequels should be on Improved Hardware instead of just Improved Software
Says who?

Look - I understand that you're all excited with your 3DS and you really wish that B2 and W2 had been made for it, but they weren't. You started off this thread specifically asking "why" it was done that way. I, and others, have told you specifically why it was done that way. Why are you arguing the point? Yes - you wish it hadn't been done that way, BUT IT WAS. And we've told you exactly why. It's time to let it go now. Bitterness over things that are out of your control will only harm you in the long run.

Just relax, 'kay? It's not going to change, no matter how much you wish it would. They made the decision they made, and certainly for the reason I've already cited. If you disagree, I guess you could take it up with GF and Nintendo, but that's not going to accomplish anything. Neither is railing about it on a forum.

Sorry. That's the way life goes sometimes...

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
Says who?

Look - I understand that you're all excited with your 3DS and you really wish that B2 and W2 had been made for it, but they weren't. You started off this thread specifically asking "why" it was done that way. I, and others, have told you specifically why it was done that way. Why are you arguing the point? Yes - you wish it hadn't been done that way, BUT IT WAS. And we've told you exactly why. It's time to let it go now. Bitterness over things that are out of your control will only harm you in the long run.

Just relax, 'kay? It's not going to change, no matter how much you wish it would. They made the decision they made, and certainly for the reason I've already cited. If you disagree, I guess you could take it up with GF and Nintendo, but that's not going to accomplish anything. Neither is railing about it on a forum.

Sorry. That's the way life goes sometimes...

Actually you Haven't said why it was done that way so Don't be making stuff up

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
Yeah, I think it may be cause a lot of people still have their DS's left over and are still trying to cater to the decreasing number.

Back