• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2012 Survivor's Party @ Drakow's House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Even being an American I loooove BBC. 8) The BBC version of Planet Earth is easily one of the most amazing things ever created.

And also Doctor Who. Need I say any more? Seriously.

Yeah Doctor Who is the bestttt. I have Dalek posters on my wall!

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
That's not the best attitude, Kura. :|

I know you don't have to have a TV license to use iPlayer, but to enjoy their content and choose not to pay them for it is a little bit off..

On the subject of DW I haven't got around to watching the latest season either.

I will because it's DW, but I don't look forward to new episodes like I used to at all any more... Moffat! ];

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'm behind on it too >_o I'm somewhere in the Eleventh Doctor, I forget where, but I'm a few seasons behind the current one on that show.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
That's not the best attitude, Kura. :|

I know you don't have to have a TV license to use iPlayer, but it's probably still the most ethical thing to do.

Dude.. it's not illegal. It says on the website. I only need to pay for a TV license if I am watching a show on air. If I wanted to go onto the BBC player afterwards, I don't need to pay anything. Same as if I wanted Netflix, I wouldn't need to pay extra except for the Netflix fee.

I need a new TV anyways. I'm using a CRT right now. Do you think I wanna pay 20 bucks every month for maybe watching a total of an hour or two of TV a month?

How about nah. I fail to see how that's unethical.

ruby

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Dude.. it's not illegal. It says on the website. I only need to pay for a TV license if I am watching a show on air. If I wanted to go onto the BBC player afterwards, I don't need to pay anything. Same as if I wanted Netflix, I wouldn't need to pay extra except for the Netflix fee.

I need a new TV anyways. I'm using a CRT right now. Do you think I wanna pay 20 bucks every month for maybe watching a total of an hour or two of TV a month?

How about nah. I fail to see how that's unethical.

I didn't say it was illegal at all, lol.

And I've edited my post to explain why I find it a little unethical.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
It's not off.. they get their "payments" through advertising. I've never even watched through itunes in my life anyways. I will maybe watch 1 or less J Drama episodes every week and that's it. Or once in a while I will marathon something but that might be once every like.. 4 months anyways. The rest of my time is spent chatting, gaming, drawing, or on Youtube looking at random vids, music vids, etc.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
It's not unethical to use a service offered for free without paying a fee for something else. o_O;

ruby

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
What are you talking about, Kura? o_o'

they get their "payments" through advertising.

The entirety of the BBC website, including iPlayer, is devoid of adverts.

I've never even watched through itunes in my life anyways.

Nobody ever said anything about iTunes.

I will maybe watch 1 or less J Drama episodes every week and that's it. Or once in a while I will marathon something but that might be once every like.. 4 months anyways.

It doesn't matter how frequently or infrequently you do it, you enjoy their content.

It's not unethical to use a service offered for free without paying a fee for something else. o_O;

I'm not saying you have to pay for it, I'm just saying that it's a much nicer thing to do if you compensate someone for their work rather than take the cheap way out just because you can.

Additionally the iPlayer service is only separate from the TV license situation at the moment because of how they would go about policing it and such. They're expecting most people who are using it to already be paying for a TV license.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Idk, I refuse to get judgmental over someone using a free service without paying something, lol. Kind of like I don't care if people pay one cent for the Humble Bundle. We're really smart people - if BBC didn't want people that didn't pay the licensing fee to use their online services I'm sure they could come up with some kind of restriction on it.

ruby

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
I'm not getting judgmental over not paying for it, I'm getting judgmental over the attitude she has towards paying for it.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I think the ideal solution would be to not be judgmental at all.

kDG2w.gif

Years
In the UK, you have to pay a licence to have a TV. Even if you are only going to watch cable, or even if you never turn it on, ever- just by having a television in your house, you have to pay. And if you have two, you pay double (with a discount). There are cheaper plans for families and people with 15 TV's at home, but you have to pay either way.

And that fee is entirely used to pay for the public national channel, the BBC. Seeing how it's considered one of the absolute best, more impartial, educative and informative channels in the world, it's kinda worth it. And that way the Government isn't directly paying for it, so it can be free of political bias and hit it whenever they deserve to. And since they get a guaranteed income, they don't need advertisements, meaning no breaks nor economical bias- since nobody can pull their ads off if they reveal some hidden crap about some certain company.

Working in the BBC is one of the dreams of journalists like me.

Well in that case I suppose it's not such a bad idea.
I remember way back when we had PayTV at home and they advertised on regular tv that they wouldn't have advertising and that. Yeah that bottomed out 18 months later.

Advertising is big business no matter where you are in the world, I admire television networks or radio stations etc, that don't feel the need to advertise during programmes, now we have 4 dedicated channels strictly to advertise products for "10 easy payments of x amount of moneys less 6 gazzilion dollars postage" and It's so ridiculous.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I don't get channels dedicated to advertising. Like, I don't understand. Who watches that?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Honestly, the concept of a TV license always seemed pretty normal to me. You pay for your home phone, your internet, your mobile phone, your electricity, your gas, your house, your car insurance, your water, etc. Basically any useful resource other than the radio. I never saw why it should be any different with TVs.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
And, adding to the discussion, I'd gladly pay a special tax to maintain the public channel here in Spain too. Currently the Government pays for it- and they appoint the director and the political line they need to follow, so it becomes a propaganda channel when a certain Government isn't nice enough to voluntarily depolitize it, as it's happening here right now.

I sometimes watch advertisement channels when I'm over-the-toply bored just to get a laugh off their most ridiculous ones. But I don't know who can watch them out of actual interest XD

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I'm not getting judgmental over not paying for it, I'm getting judgmental over the attitude she has towards paying for it.

But I don't enjoy their content. I watch foreign TV shows that I would happily pay for if it was possible to actually get a copy of their DVDs without it being a HongKong ripoff. When I go to Toronto I do buy the official J-Drama shows that I like. I plan to buy the Ruroni Kenshin movie because I saw it was getting localized so I haven't watched it yet. I buy my Dr. Who DVDs and my Digimon season DVDs.

I'm not paying for something I don't use. The last time I turned on my TV was 3 months ago when I decided to play some DDR.

I don't get what "attitude" I have other than the fact that I wont give the government 240 dollars a year for nothing.

:/ INB4 you probably download a lot of your music, too. So who are you to judge me?

I'm not doing anything illegal. The Japanese shows havent been localized so it is free to watch subs until they are officially released- then they are taken down. I didn't watch the olympics except for one Saturday that I went to a friend's house and it was on in the background. I don't torrent.

Edit: Oh and the last show I watched was on 4OD's own youtube channel which is not illegal either.

So why do you have a problem with my "attitude"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back