• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Sandstorm team

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2011
Hello All. This is my current SandStorm Team and it has some weaknesses that could be fixed.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers @ Sand Stream
Careful Nature
228 Atk, 140 Def & SDef
-Earthquake
-Dragon dance
-Crunch
-Stone Edge

The lead of my (near) Perfect Sandstorm team, T-Tar. It's great, it has the defense to withstand a Focus blast or a Brick Break. Sometimes if I get a good amount of DD's up I can sweep an entire team.

Skarmory @ Leftovers @ Sturdy
Impish Nature
252 HP, 100 Atk, 156 SDef
-Brave Bird
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Whirlwind

Skarmory is here to set up spikes and rocks. It can defend against even CB'd or DD moves that aren't fire type. If I can, I set up all 3 spikes and then SR, and whirlwind to hazard-KO my opponent's team(especially ones using Charizard or Ho-Oh). sometimes I can just use it to finish of an opponent with a Brave Bird.

Jolteon @ Life Orb @ Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-HP Fire
-Shadow Ball
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt

This Jolteon needs to be replaced IMO. Its purpose is to counter Steels, Ice, and Grass with its HP Fire, and Thunder bolt & Volt Switch to counter Water. Shadow Ball is a filler, and can take care of Psychics and Ghosts.

Excadrill @ Air balloon @ Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
252 ATK, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Earthquake
-X-Scissor
-Rock Slide
-Swords Dance

Aah, Excadrill, the sweeper of my team. Most of the time, if it doesnt get the burn HAX or get hit by a Superffective Scald/Fire Blast/Flame Thrower. The Air Balloon takes care of earthquake and other ground type moves until i get hit by an attack. I can often survive a hit and then swords dance sweep, but I have backup in case that happens. I will 99% guaranteed to go first if the sand storm is on, so I can sweep very easily. Beastly Pokemon, Nothing more.

Jirachi @ Leftovers @ Serene Grace
Bold Nature
252 HP, 32 Spe, 224 Def
-Wish
-Calm Mind
-Energy Ball
-Flash Cannon

This Jirachi is such a beast. it can stall with wish and then maybe set up while stalling. Then I look at its stats and think about the distributions. Can it be fixed? This slot used to be a Swampert but found Jirachi in OU and Replaced it.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers @ Iron Barbs
Brave Nature(Might change it to sassy)
252 Def, 252 SpD, 4 HP
-Leech Seed
-Thunder Wave
-Gyro Ball
-Curse

Ferro, the defensive wall of the team, unless it gets decimated by a STAB Fire move... Nothing much to say about it except that it can stop offensive attacks from doing much damage, let's say Solarbeam or Outrage. it has Curse to beef up its defenses even more, and then Gyro to make it even more powerful because of Curse. Leech Seed can drain HP, and that combined with leftovers make sa good combo. T-Wave cripples fast pokemon.

I would like it if Jolteon got replaced by a better Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 27
  • N/A
  • Seen Mar 23, 2013
Firstly, one thing I'm noticing is that you used Jolteon instead of Cacturne.... Sand Viel will work well for you. And Seed Bomb/Needle Arm or Sucker Punch come in handy, plus the evasion bonus. That's what my recommendation is. However, it might not be best due to having two common weaknesses with Ferrothorn. Still, if you want to take the risk, I think it would be a great move.

Aside from that, it's a great team. Top notch, my friend.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2011
Nice. How do ya get those EVs??? Cheatboy... I have an Action Replay too!!!!

I don't, I play in Pokemon Online, I'm too impatient for the DS battles :P

I noticed that I have a huge fire weakness, 4 of them to be exact. Is there a pokemon that can absorb the fire moves besides heatran?

@Above: Thanks, it's been my best team ever since I made it.

Years
  • Age 27
  • N/A
  • Seen Mar 23, 2013
Hmmm to accomodate that weakness, I recommend Swampert. Just because it's bulky, has the resistance to sandstorm, and has a generally good movepool.

And you're welcome.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
This team's cute but your Ev's and natures are messed up. With a little bit of rating, that can be fixed. :)

Tyranitar @ Leftovers @ Sand Stream
Careful Nature
228 Atk, 140 Def & SDef
-Earthquake
-Dragon dance
-Crunch
-Stone Edge

If you're going to run a DD Tyranitar set; at least run Jolly/Adamant.

I strongly recommend a different set though, since the DD set isn't as good as it was.

Tyranitar @Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 180 SAtk / 76 SDef
Sassy Nature
Ability: Sandstream
-Crunch
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Ice Beam
-Stealth Rock/Superpower

This set is great for taking advantage of Tyranitar's good Special attack stat. It also lets you set-up SR; but you probably won't need to, since you'll have someone else to, so run Superpower to destroy Blissey/Chansey, Crunch is a nice STAB and will deal some major damage. Flamethrower can handle annoying Steel/Grass/Bug types and Ice Beam takes care of Dragons/Gliscor.

Skarmory @ Leftovers @ Sturdy
Impish Nature
252 HP, 100 Atk, 156 SDef
-Brave Bird
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Whirlwind

Your Skarmory set isn't that bad; but it could use work.

Skarmory @Leftovers/Shed Shell
Evs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
Ability: Sturdy
-Brave Bird / Taunt
-Spikes
-Roost
-Whirlwind

This is Skarmory's standard set. Brave Bird is a nice STAB that can finish off weakened opponents and deal with fighting types. Taunt could be used to make sure that your opponent can't set-up. Spikes is a nice move, making it so your opponent will take damage when they switch in, the more layers down the more damage dealt, it's nice for choice'd opponents who switch in and out a lot. Roost heals of any un-wanted damage like your Brave Bird recoil and hits. Whirlwind can PHaze out the opponent; making them switch mid-set up. Shed Shell is so Skarmory can escape from Magnezone's Magnet Pull whilst Leftovers heals more of your health.

Jolteon @ Life Orb @ Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-HP Fire
-Shadow Ball
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt

IMO Jolteon is out of place on this team and doesn't really need a spot. Sandstorm and Life Orb damage will whittle its Hp down bit by bit. I say replace it with Swampert; who is an amazing asset to any team.

Swampert @Leftovers
Relaxed Nature [+Def; -Spe]
Evs: 252 Hp / 216 Def / 52 SpD
Trait: Torrent
~ Ice Beam
~ Stealth Rock
~ Earthquake
~ Scald / Superpower / Roar

Ice Beam deals with Gliscor and Dragon types whilst Earthquake is a nice strong STAB to have which will take care of Steel/Fire types. Stealth Rock is so you actually have it on your team and can help whittle away Hp with Skarmory's Spikes. Scald is also a STAB which gives a 30% chance to Burn, whilst Superpower deals with Blissey and can deal a lot of damage to Ferrothorn. Roar can be used for PHazing to deal some damage with entry support.

Excadrill @ Air balloon @ Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
252 ATK, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Earthquake
-X-Scissor
-Rock Slide
-Swords Dance

I don't really see anything wrong with your Excadrill set; except that it should be a Jolly nature. It can at least speed tie with other Excadrill.

Jirachi @ Leftovers @ Serene Grace
Bold Nature
252 HP, 32 Spe, 224 Def
-Wish
-Calm Mind
-Energy Ball
-Flash Cannon

Ah, we come to Jirachi. One of the most annoying Pokemon in this metagame. This set isn't that good IMO; try this;

Jirachi @Leftovers
Careful Nature [+SpD; -SpA]
Ev's; 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Trait: Serene Grace
~ Wish
~ Iron Head
~ Body Slam / Thunder Wave
~ Fire Punch / Protect

Jirachi can make a lot of people angry with this set. Body Slam until your opponent is paralyzed or use Thunder Wave for an instant paralysis. Iron Head is a nice STAB that can cause a flinch, thanks to Serene grace it will almost work 100% of the time. ParaFlinch is a very annoying thing to deal with. Protect lets you stall a turn whilst Wish takes effect. Wish has new mechanics this generation meaning Jirachi can pass 202 Hp to it's team mates. Fire Punch is another physical attack that Jirachi can play with.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers @ Iron Barbs
Brave Nature(Might change it to sassy)
252 Def, 252 SpD, 4 HP
-Leech Seed
-Thunder Wave
-Gyro Ball
-Curse

IMO Ferrothorn is out of place on this team, since you already have something to lay Spikes/Stealth Rock. Your team does lack Special attackers, though. Try something like Lucario or Magnezone. I don't really know which one to suggest since there's a few. You could say what one you wanted to use then someone could give you a set. :)

This team needs work, but it is nice. :3

Your Ev's and natures are messed up. \:

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2011
Alright, I knew this team has some weaknesses. :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

By the way, for the swampert, it's 40 speed EV's.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • N/A
  • Seen Mar 23, 2013
Well, glad to see I wasn't alone on the Swampert idea. =)

Anyway, yeah, that should cover up most of your big weak spots. I'd say the team's good to go now.

Perriechu

Years
Alright, I knew this team has some weaknesses. :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

By the way, for the swampert, it's 40 speed EV's.

Huh? That Swampert set runs 252 Hp / 216 Def / 52 SpD

SpD = Special Defense... \:

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2011
OOOOH, i thought that was Speed :P But it's 40 EV's only btw.

If I may ask, what pokemon would be a major weakness to this team?

Perriechu

Years
OOOOH, i thought that was Speed :P But it's 40 EV's only btw.

If I may ask, what pokemon would be a major weakness to this team?

Lmao. Sorry, it's 240 Hp. :P Not 252. D:

Um, I guess Heatran could be a plausible threat. I don't see any at a glance.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Salamence and Darmanitan would be a problem for this team. Heatran and Hydreigon too if they have Earth Power. Really though, anything with a Ground type attack is going to chew through your team and anything with a Fire type attack is going to kill what the Ground moves can't (Skarmory and Ferrothorn). ;o; I also see your team having a problem with Mamoswine / Weavile as everything but Jirachi takes neutral damage from Ice. Which wouldn't be a big deal but priority can be a dangerous thing. D:

Any Bulky Water would be a good replacement for Jolteon to check the Ground/Fire weakness. There's a lot of them, so check them out, ask questions, play test ..etc.

Good luck! :D

Back