• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Best Region

The Best Region ^_^

• Kanto

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Johto

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Unova

Votes: 8 12.9%

• Total voters
Years
If we're going just by the overall geography of the regions (cities, routes, climates, landmarks, etc.) my favorite region would be Sinnoh. It's got a lot of diversity to it- being able to go to cities buried in snow, having beaches in both the south and east of the region, large swampy areas that you can trek through and more. Unfortunately, I really didn't enjoy the games which we visited Sinnoh, though, so it soured my taste on the region as a whole.

The region that I liked the most as a whole package is actually Hoenn. We still get a lot of geographical diversity here as well, but we get something else that we don't really see in any other game (besides a small bit in Unova), and that's large underwater passages. That in itself brought a unique aspect to the region, and something I'd like to see brought back in the future.

Hoenn also brought along the introduction of the Battle Frontier (in Emerald, at least), it had not one, but two evil teams fighting to change the landscape of the region, and gave us the first real side missions outside of battling in Pokemon Contests. I think all of these additions plus the layout of the region itself is why Hoenn's my favorite.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
I like Sinnoh for similar reasons to Brendino
Also i think 4th gen was enough pokemon ^^; i think its getting excessively ridiculous to catch 649+ pokemon but whatever lol... to each their own.

j_Woo

Patnogonian
Years
I gotta say Johto ^-^ I just love basically every Pokemon that was invented in second gen, and I think that it was the last gen before the number of legendaries started to get outrageous. Also, HG and SS are GREAT remakes (plus crystal is my second favorite game to date, behind B/W 2)

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Unova will probably always be my favorite region.

So much to explore, a large city, Castelia City (even with a sewer system like in real life), nice variation in terrain, so much diverse life of Pokemon. The region is really fun to explore. When I thinnk I found everything I always found something I missed.

All my favorite Pokemon can be found in Unova - and even some who are not native to Unova can also be found there.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
King of Pokemon, please make sure you start checking the forum before making a thread. I'll merge this with the existing thread on favorite regions.

Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2013
Hoenn is my favourite region because it is a great island and Hoenn was created after Groudon and Kyogre were formed. There is also 34 different routes so it is impossible to be bored.

Daisuke Mitsuharu

Punching Bag
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2023
I agree with the aforementioned. Sinnoh had offered much, much more compared to the other regions, in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I like all regions in different ways :] Lemme go through them and try to decide on a favorite. My guts say Johto, but that's more like I like the pokémon and overall feeling of gen II.

Kanto
I like the color theme of its cities and I wish similarly clever themes had been used for cities in other regions. But since it was created back in gen I, the layout and landscape is pretty dull. Even the layout of the cities. I do like, however, that they make the cities feel pretty big, such as Saffron and Celadon. Buildings without doors are okay to give that feeling! Unlike Hoenn, where every building seems to have to be important - Slateport and Rustboro don't feel like as big cities as Celadon and Saffron. There also aren't really any favorite landmarks or sites that I have in Kanto.

Johto
Now, this is a different matter. Johto is marked by dark pine forests (in my mind ^^) and mountains. Nice landscape. The routes are long and interesting and the pokémon are great. I also like the cities, they were more diverse than Kanto's without seeming strange like some of Hoenn's cities. Ecruteak and Goldenrod are favorites. So Johto lands pretty high.

Hoenn
The landscapes are much more interesting than for the previous regions, and it makes sense with Hoenn being an exotic island and all. But the cities are pretty weird, like Fortree and Pacifidlog (or whatsistscalled) even though Sootopolis was cool. I loved that you could dive and have a large area to surf in though (I know some others dislike the big waters of Hoenn :p) and the later part of the games were more fun and rewarding compared to the earlier games. But if we're not just to look at the games, I think Hoenn has too little of a... feeling, or something, it doesn't give me a pleasant enough atmosphere. I always thought the anime here was pretty plastic and the manga was so different compared to how it had been in Johto and Kanto (and Sinnoh, for that matter).

Sinnoh
Okay, I've still never played through a whole game here, not even half a game actually :( but I've seen some anime and read the manga and Sinnoh has a fantastic atmosphere to it. I want to push through and play the game some day because even though the gym leaders are too weirdly designed for my taste (I prefer Kanto's and Johto's gym leaders), the pokémon are pretty cool and the design of the routes and especially special areas is really good. Also, the music from the games! They are, apart from a few tunes from Hoenn, my favorite pokémon game music.

Unova
I liked that it was so different and new from the older games, and the anime makes good use of it. But overall, I don't have much connection with Unova yet. Other than the pokémon being the next best generation, probably. Or third, at least ^^ The bridges and cities don't appeal overly much on me though.

Kalos
It's France! Love it. Hahaha. No I have no idea about this region yet. But it seems like it'll be pretty similar in feeling to Unova. I can't really count this one in, anyways.

I think my favorites are Johto and Sinnoh. Can't decide :]

Daixtey

The Sin of Joy
Years
I think the best region was Hoeen. I liked that he had different Climate regions and It introduced one of the best Legendarys. But Johto is also really close to be my favourite region because of the overall look of the region and the pokemon it had.

Nakala Pri

UNOVA! Hoenn, Kanto and Johto are so original and cool, but I am such a huge fan of Pokemon Black it forces me to awnser Unova. :D

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Despite the second generation games being my favourite, I actually like Kanto a bit more than Johto. While I've always felt like the journey through Johto felt much more free, as past the fourth gym you could pretty much decide which order you wanted to beat the gyms and do the events in yourself, I've always just liked Kanto more. I guess it's pretty biased, because as always, the first generation lies close to my heart. I just like the theme of the city names, and how they've positioned things like the Pokemon League and Saffron City at such central places, where they piqued ones interest, only to make you realise that you wouldn't be able to access them yet. I liked it because in my first playthroughs, where I wasn't completely aware of how the story progressed, it just made me feel like there was so much to the game. A city blocked off, a tower which I can't get to the top of, etc., and I just loved it whenever I got to access those places. That's why the blocked off places in Silph Co. and the Kanto Radio Tower in the second generation games always were so interesting, because I felt like whenever something was blocked off, it had to be accessible at some point. Unfortunately they were not :(

But yeah, I don't really have much more to say about it, because in all reality, this choice is mainly biased because of how it was my first region to go through, and the one I've went through the most, so yeah. Kanto ftw!

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
My favorite region is Kanto because I like most of the Pokemon from Kanto. My second favorite is probably Sinnoh because of the same reason.

Back