• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • A reminder that our new forum software has 2FA! It can be accessed by clicking your username and then "Password and security" from the menu. We strongly suggest not reusing passwords for your online accounts and enabling 2FA if possible.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Spriting Tutorials - Pokemon and Trainer

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
I like its shading, for the most part. You are finally starting to understand it. However, you might want to check the legs, as you're going 'blurry style' again (the middle and left leg, at least). Also, the color variation that you used to separate the upper from the lower part of the head doesn't really 'distinguish' the sprite, it more makes it look like it has levels.

Good luck DG =]

Yes! I invented a term called "Blurry-style" in NikaNoRoU's terms list!
Thanks, I had a bad feeling about the left leg too :P
I'll keep that in mind for the next time I really don't remember posting that though :P

xGGxToiZ

>.//:SO HOT:\\.<
Years
Whew!

That's some tutorial.. whew!
Anyways, good job man!

I could sprite much better than before (yes, I'm a n00b spriter T_T) .
Oh, you are right about the hair quite tough to do.

Hahahaha! No matter.
Thanks for the tut.

Zirkle38

Insert Epithet.
Years
can I have some crit and tips about the shading on this, am i totally off?

his name is Mr. blob :)

I actually like the legs - the coloring/shading anyways. They seem to be too high up to me, though. Like he's about to eat them. And for traditional Pokemon they're usually looking more to the left, but then again, this may not be a Pokemon. And the eyes look totally one color, where, in real life anyways, eyes are very reflective, therefore having many... shades? Yeah, I think that's the word I'm looking for.

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
Years
I tried to follow the trainer tutorial, and this is what I came up with:

RoxyTrainer.png

I know it's not 100% perfect, even though I was using actual sprites as references...

Comments?

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
This thread is one year old today, and I'd just like everyone to know... I really am making more tutorials! Honest! The next two tutorials in the works are Trainer Backsprites and Establishing Shots; if there's a tutorial that you would like to see which isn't listed in purple at the bottom of the first post, let me know in a VM!

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
Thanks for the great tutorial, Chesu! I've been sitting on some fakemon ideas for a while, and now I feel confident that I can bring them to life.

Here is my first "good" sprite:
Sauraxe, Dark/Steel
Mostly from scratch, except for the arms.
What do you think?

Years
  • Seen May 2, 2010
One thing I don't see there is like a scratch sprite tutorial for like D P Plt HG SS Sprites.

When you said Overworld did u mean both DP FR LG Style or what?

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
One thing I don't see there is like a scratch sprite tutorial for like D P Plt HG SS Sprites.

When you said Overworld did u mean both DP FR LG Style or what?

You can use his tutorials for 4th gen sprites, you just need to remember that the limit is 80x80 for regular sprites instead of 64x64. And in his overworld tutorial he showed you with D/P/Pt, Fr/Lg and R/S/E for a large part of the tutorial.

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Jun 1, 2011
Thanks for the great tutorial, Chesu! I've been sitting on some fakemon ideas for a while, and now I feel confident that I can bring them to life.

Here is my first "good" sprite:
Sauraxe, Dark/Steel
Mostly from scratch, except for the arms.
What do you think?

I like it.
I do think the black portion of the tail needs some highlights though. You have plenty of gray colors already, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Swinoob

... [I am not a talker].
Years
Well, it's not all that bad, really, especially for a first try. The only two problems I can really see are: A. His pose doesn't really look right. His legs are facing towards the front, but the rest of his body from the waist up is facing to the left. This looks very unnatural. Try to replicate the pose of your sprites in the mirror if it helps. If it looks or feels unnatural, then you should probably change your sprite accordingly; and B. The entire outline of his right arm is completely unshaded. Even though the light source is hardly hitting him there, it would at least look better if you got rid of that black outline.
I know I don't seem like one to mentor you on your spriting skills, but trust me, I've been doing it for a long time.

nmorr

Takin a brake. -_-
Years
Here's my first few pokemon I sprited after this turtorial.

They're in my pokemon game so don't steal them,

BlazMotorFront.png

BlazMotorBack-1.png

BlazMotorBack.png

BlazMotor-1.png

BlazMotor.png

Swinoob

... [I am not a talker].
Years
No offense, nmorr, but I can't really tell what that sprite of yours is meant to look like. I guess it sort of looks like a new Rotom Forme. I'm not saying it's bad, though, I'm just curious as to what it might be based off of.

nmorr

Takin a brake. -_-
Years
No offense, nmorr, but I can't really tell what that sprite of yours is meant to look like. I guess it sort of looks like a new Rotom Forme. I'm not saying it's bad, though, I'm just curious as to what it might be based off of.

I like the colors on the second one, but like Swinoob, I can't really tell what it's supposed to be...

It's a custom pokemon of mine, it's not supposed to look like a pokemon that already exsists.:nervous:

nmorr

Takin a brake. -_-
Years
he means what item or animal is the sprite based off of.
it looks kinda like a flaming geodude with straight arms

Oh, I think I undersand. I made it from scratch, using colours of Charazards Tail sprite. The flame. I probably could have used a base, but where's the fun with that?!:P

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
Oh, I think I undersand. I made it from scratch, using colours of Charazards Tail sprite. The flame. I probably could have used a base, but where's the fun with that?!:P

I don't think that's what they were asking, either. What is it supposed to BE? i.e. is the first one based on an egg beater, or is it holding loops of fire? And what is the thing in the middle of the wheel of fire in the third image based off of; what are its physical characteristics, that is, where is its face, etc. Right now I can't even tell if the first two are supposed to be the same as the last three...

Back