• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Nintendo 2DS

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
b18ce44ac898e6ea003975616f90dc18.jpg

So, has anyone gotten this product yet - the Nintendo 2DS, said to be available now? If so, what are your impressions of it, and do you prefer this, over the Nintendo 3DS? I myself haven't gotten it because my Nintendo 3DS works perfectly fine, and I'd stick more towards the XL anyway, but... maybe someday?

Feel free to discuss!

Last edited:

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I wanted to point you on this Thread to already exist:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307588
But since you're a Moderator, that wouldn't work, anyway.

I only have a Development 2DS, I won't get a Retail 2DS, because even though I like the 2DS, I still like the 3DS much better.

Er, that thread is already more than a month old, I'm afraid. D: Hence why I made this new one now~

I'm not sure how the 2DS plays, but, I hear that supposedly the lack of the closable case feature is a little... grinding?

Last edited:

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
Well, it's never good to take a Handheld fully exposed with you.
I almost destroyed my PS Vita Screen, because of this, and fortunately, it still looks as new.

The Nintendo 2DS (sorry for the last Post, I went against Nintendo's Glossary by using "2DS" and "3DS" without "Nintendo"), plays pretty well, it's good they made the Shoulder Buttons accessible for small and big hands, because otherwise, it'd have the same problem as I have with the Nintendo 3DS XL: The 'I can't hold it'-problem.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I only have a Development 2DS, I won't get a Retail 2DS

What's the difference?

I probably won't get the 2DS unless I can get a good buck for my 3DS, as the 3D on it is useless anyway and I spent that extra ~$150 for nothing too great. 3DS games don't even offer all that much 3D playtime, and what playtime there is is typically blinding.

MKGirlism

Years
It's a world of differences, actually.
The most important thing is, a Development Nintendo 2DS doesn't run any commercial games, only Debug games (yes, that includes Alpha, Beta, RC, GM, Dev Build, whatever you want to add).
Also, a Development Nintendo 2DS comes with a flashable Firmware, I can even remove the whole HOME Menu, if I would like to.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I'm pretty much like Ante rn. The 2DS is probably worth buying since I can't afford a 3DS rn...unless ebay has some that are like.. less than $150 used then I'll go for it. I mean, it has some 3DS capabilities and screen size doesn't really matter. So why do I need to shell out the extra $100 just to get 3D?

And yeah...the closing capability is what's really grinding me, but it's still a console. xD

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
I know a few people with a 2DS, and I have tried one myself a few times. I honestly don't see why people hate on it so much. It's very comfortable in your hand, it's sturdy and it's great for those people who don't like 3D as it slashes off a huge chunk of money.

People usually attacking it are the ones who haven't really had a good play with it. The removing of the hinge isn't much of a defect, the system is still comfy and easy to use. The thing that I have noticed is that people don't mind it doesn't close, they just mind there aren't that many cases to carry it in.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I, unfortunately, won't be getting a 2DS. I have a 3DS already. ): I've gotten it last year in June, I think (or was it July?). I don't utilize the 3D function all that much, though, because whenever I play games with it, I always end up getting eye strain. If they had released the 2DS sooner, then I definitely would have bought that instead. It would've saved me some money. 2DS does look a little bulky, but personally, I don't have any problem with that. I guess the bulkiness makes it a little more sturdy, giving it the chance to endure a few drops? One thing they could have done though, is make the shell a bit more flat. And instead of having two screens, maybe they could've had one, big screen, sort of like a tablet.

If I ever do plan to get a 2DS, then I'll probably get the one in black. The red 2DS does look nice, but the black is less likely to get dirty.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
I plan on getting a 2DS since I like the design and I wouldn't mind trying something new. I also dislike the 3D it hurts my eyes and makes it look trippy (I know just turn it off).

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
It doesn't have a 3D effect - which is a gimmick, except for on the 3DS.

You can't fold it. You also can't adjust the screens.

It is 90% brick. I aint carrying that thing.

The 3DS XL already can't fit in your pocket - why make something even harder to fit in the pocket?

How easy do you think it is the hold something that heavy, and use a stylus properly? Very difficult.

It's cheaper, but not cheap enough.

--

Worst business idea ever, Nintendo. Let's see how much money you lose on this failure...

--

You know what Nintendo SHOULD have made?

A phone. A PHONE. A 3DS Phone! Make it small enough to fit in the pocket! And it's a phone! A touch... FLIP PHONE.

#swimminginthemoney

Nakala Pri

This is a brick! Maybe I'll buy my grandmother this to fill in the hole in her fence, or for something to keep the door from slamming. xD

I agree with Rezilla, about everything! Why not have a comfy, light, nice 3Ds XL which has a slick design, not something you could use to throw in a window, teehee. c:

MKGirlism

Years
It's cheaper, but not cheap enough.

Surprise!
What you're talking about, is a Portable Gaming-only Device, not a set of paper.

It's not expensive neither, because it's not some kind of All-in-One Media Centre, which requires an Ultra-HD 3D Internet Plasma LED TV, and 230 Volt Power Source.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
it's not some kind of All-in-One Media Centre, which requires an Ultra-HD 3D Internet Plasma LED TV, and 230 Volt Power Source.

Exactly, so WHY would ANYONE want it? That stuff is standard now! :O

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Because Nintendo is not a general-electronics kind of company? Making phones would a) force them to dedicate a huge amount of resources to, you know, developing a phone and b) would cause the videogaming part to be brushed aside as an extra feature, as most phone companies do, because what people need for their daily lives (and want to work as best as possible) is a phone, not a videogame console. And, you know, Nintendo's strongest part is making games, not phones or even electronics in general. Sure, they do make consoles, but that's not even close to a multimedia thing. And anyway, what sells millions, what are recognized as some of the best ever in their field, are their videogames. Moving to all-in-ones would cause that advantage to get lost amidst all the other functions. Even Sony, a gigantic electronics company, feels the need to have separate phone and portable console brands.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Even Sony, a gigantic electronics company, feels the need to have separate phone and portable console brands.
Well... new Xperias already use console based games =)

As for the thread... I'm actually thinking of buying it if its price drops even more...
I'm sure I won't ever use the 3D feature (cause 3D is ugly) so 2DS might be just enough for me...
But it's still not that much cheaper than regular 3DS.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
This is... odd. I'm entirely mystified at what the intent or purpose of this might be. It looks as though it may never support a Circle Pad Pro, so as a CPP user I have no reason to even consider it anyway. Oh, and after several design iterations, the current generation of Nintendo handhelds all still have their power switches in that stupid position. I do like the positioning of Start and Select though; still, they should've done that with the original 3DS.

Years
If you already have a 3DS, I wouldn't bother with the 2DS. However, if you are without either then I would go with the 2DS. It's cheaper 129.99 in comparison to 199.99 and can withstand a drop better than the 3DS [great for kids or clumsy individuals]. Though, because it doesn't fold, you'll need a screen protector. It also is without the 3D feature but if you have glasses like me, the 3D tends to hurt my eyes almost instantly, then it is something that will not be missed.

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
Years
I don't personally own a Nintendo 2DS, I have a 3DS XL; but my roommate recently picked one up and I have had the chance to use it. Here are the Pros and Cons as I see them.

Pros:
•Cheaper than the 3DS, making it a good alternative for people who think the 3DS and 3DS XL are too pricy
•Pretty durable; the lack of a hinge (a structural weak point in the other closing systems) makes this system much more durable.
•Good for younger children because of durability and lower price tag (?)
•Graphics still look fine
•A good choice for people who just want to play their favorite games and could care less about 3D
•Comfortable in hands of all sizes (even my hands, and I have BIG hands)

Cons:

•Doesn't Close (though the screen is made of scratch resistant glass, the same kind you can get for eyeglasses)
•Pretty bulky, hard to fit in pockets
•A case is almost a necessity if you plan on traveling with it
•No 3D function (if you like 3D, this is bad. If you could care less, then its not a con)
•Exposed Screens (pretty tough though.)
•Design isn't that appealing

TL;DR: This is a great system for younger children (5-8 years old?) because it is more durable and not as expensive as the 3DS XL and 3DS. The lack of a hinge for closing screens, however, is a deal breaker for me because I travel with my Nintendo DS (the 1st, fat looking one) and 3DS XL. It isn't very portable and a case is a necessity if you want to take this with you without risking damaging the screens. All in all, it's not the worst system but if you can afford to pay the difference, I would say the 3DS and 3DS XL are much better options, especially for gamers over the age of 10.

Last edited:

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
I'm actually genuinely interested. How many people even carry their 3DS in their pockets? I know zero people who do this, and yet it's one of the big "downpoints" everyone raises. Who has that much room in their pockets to begin with after you add your wallet and phone?

I really don't see how it's such a bad console. I don't know anyone disappointed in what it provides them for that price. (Not to mention, back when I puchased a new Gameboy Colour, it was 80-90, and a new GBA went for around 120)

Back