• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon X: Y!?!

Phangy

Master
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
The game is about wild animals beating the fur off of one another, without blood I don't see the flaw in having Aron lunge and claw with his metal claw attack; the receiver flinching in response. I just want the models to make contact when they make contact, it looks bizarre and cheap as it is. The animations can be improved while maintaining an E rating.

There's a reason why pokemon stadium didn't have all the pokemon in it. It's just not worth the time and money to do it, especially for a 3DS game. The current DS's cannot handle all the code it takes to animate everything. 721 (not including megas)individual pokemon + 616 moves. Not to mention they wouldn't be able to add new pokemon or moves after completion of the game without large updates. Maybe in 20 years or so when/if nintendo expands past mobile for pokemon games to other systems with more power.

I agree with all of that. Egg breeding is forced on the player since it is an important way to complete the Pokedex; catching them all being the mission statement of Pokemon since approximately the dawn of time. Pedometer use would be good to have as an option, but I would rather the daycare just give you baby pokemon as opposed to the entire egg process. I've spent hours and hours hatching eggs, it's outstayed its welcome.

Generally I think the best and easiest ways to improve pokemon would be to remove the egg stage, add more double battles, and allow the rematching of trainers like back in gen 3.

Breeding is in no way forced on the player, you can 100% the pokedex without ever stepping foot in the day care, They do force trades on the player which i was never a fan of until this gen where you can do it online. But really, there is no better way to do the eggs. Every egg is different depending on the pokemon and whatever random coding. I never had a problem hatching them when i breed my 15 or so pokemon that i wanted to use.

As for double battles, no, just no. It's bad enough Protect is in the game, they added more that pointlessly prolong battles. Especially when you're forced to battle along side your rival, none of the npc's pokemon is anywhere near the player's level, i always just kill his pokemon off as soon as i can so it doesn't get in the way. Single has always been the best in my opinion. Although adding an Orange Islands kinda thing in the game as a different league, so you could either do the classic battle or do the special battle league, or even add a smaller different region in the game would be fun.

Jack

ego
Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2020
I couldn't agree more with the plot rant.
The plot was incredibly generic from the first second i touched the game; i could almost tell what was probably going to happen next.

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2019
Some of the problems you're mentioning I'm able to just give a pass because of graphical limitations on the 3DS. This was such a huge leap forward that I can't really complain that it isn't perfect. I do, along with the others, agree that the plot was extremely predictable and generic. I'm still willing to grin and bear it for these games because this is their first game of the 3DS. I am expecting, however, for the next games (whether they be sequels or a third version) to be better in terms of story, like Black and White 2 were (In my opinion).

Last edited:
Years
I couldn't agree more with the plot rant.
The plot was incredibly generic from the first second i touched the game; i could almost tell what was probably going to happen next.

No offense for real but you haven't been able to do that with every game? Every game is the same not just x and y. The only difference in any of them is the means in which the evil team plan on dominating the region. Gen1- organized crime gen 2- organized crime scraps gen3- geo terrorism gen4- space camp rejects gen5- PETA gen6- kill everyone with an ancient weapon
Other than the evil teams way of executing there domination its all the same, fill the dex, collect gym badges, outclass your peers, and travel the region

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I agree with Battle Diversity. I think the games should be made harder.

I think I know what the problem with Pokemon is. Game Freak Dev have only made Pokemon games for 17 years. That is all they know. Game Freak is not capable of making a HD Colosseum game for Wii U because NO ONE at Game Freak has ever programed a game like that, only the Portable games we are familiar with. (remember, stadium, Colosseum, Battle Revelation, Mystery Dungeon, are all made by other companies.

If the only games you ever programed were Red, Gold, Ruby, Perl, Black, all Back-to-Back without branching out into other games... You might have a limited toolbox of skills.

Although, I could be wrong...

codem8kr

Team Rocket Boss....
Years
I think they should be taking pointers from ROM hacks.
The hackers that make them are doing it alot better.

Ability to travel to different regions? Check
Tougher battles? Check
More Pokemon available? Check

If GF implemented these features in future games, along with the trainer customization in the current gen, I think they'd have the perfect formula.

Years
I agree with Battle Diversity. I think the games should be made harder.

I think I know what the problem with Pokemon is. Game Freak Dev have only made Pokemon games for 17 years. That is all they know. Game Freak is not capable of making a HD Colosseum game for Wii U because NO ONE at Game Freak has ever programed a game like that, only the Portable games we are familiar with. (remember, stadium, Colosseum, Battle Revelation, Mystery Dungeon, are all made by other companies.

If the only games you ever programed were Red, Gold, Ruby, Perl, Black, all Back-to-Back without branching out into other games... You might have a limited toolbox of skills.

Although, I could be wrong...

I think its a little bit of that mixed with a little bit of fear of tarnishing the brand. I think they are scared that if they changed one aspect too much that it would destroy the brand. I would love to believe that we will get something more substantial in the future, but sadly I think they WL continue to ride this pony til its dieng

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 8, 2014
I don't get how Game Freak can be so skittish, X & Y sold 10 MILLION copies, 10 MILLION! If a console game sells that much it's as big as Skyrim, and the price point is nearly the same now.

They can afford to take risks, maybe they just don't want to put any more effort in? This actually fits with Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed's sales models. Pokemon is a biannual release while CoD & AC are annual, however none of them shake up the formula at all. They all have the same weapons, combat styles, and exact same formula every time. They're so popular I just wish they would do something with that power other than stagnating.

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
Years
<p>
I don't get how Game Freak can be so skittish, X & Y sold 10 MILLION copies, 10 MILLION! If a console game sells that much it's as big as Skyrim, and the price point is nearly the same now.</p><p> </p><p>They can afford to take risks, maybe they just don't want to put any more effort in? This actually fits with Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed's sales models. Pokemon is a biannual release while CoD & AC are annual, however none of them shake up the formula at all. They all have the same weapons, combat styles, and exact same formula every time. They're so popular I just wish they would do something with that power other than stagnating.
</p><p> </p><p>i believe its been annual since black2 says 2012 at title screen and Y says 2013?</p><p> </p>

Years
I don't get how Game Freak can be so skittish, X & Y sold 10 MILLION copies, 10 MILLION! If a console game sells that much it's as big as Skyrim, and the price point is nearly the same now.

They can afford to take risks, maybe they just don't want to put any more effort in? This actually fits with Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed's sales models. Pokemon is a biannual release while CoD & AC are annual, however none of them shake up the formula at all. They all have the same weapons, combat styles, and exact same formula every time. They're so popular I just wish they would do something with that power other than stagnating.

That's not true at all. Call of duty has different weapons each game. Not to mention they dlc out new weapons like every month and new maps and new side game instalments ( extinction for ghosts, zombies for bo2 ). They also change aspects for the combat style, small adjustments like for example changing the dive mechanic to a knee slide (bo2 = dive, ghosts = slide : they are made by two different companies but they both stay close to the original blueprint ), will give the player a small refresh but keeping the core mechanics unchanged. As far as formula, man if you play Cod and spend more time on the story than multiplayer you are doing it wrong, you have to play competitively to fully appreciate the game, I was 5th prestige on ps3 for ghosts and switched to xbox one, now im 1st prestige on my Microsoft account for ghosts, leading a lvl 17 clan with a positive kdr.... still not the slightest bit tired, bc they keep giving new content to the players. As far as assassin creed I don't know, its too slow and I cant play it. but Cod gets more hate than it deserves, at least they give you something to do throughout the wait til they release the next instalment. People say well they just want that money, and they seem to forget about the money it takes to make a 14 dollar map pack. ( paying employees who spend hours upon hours trying to do something graphically toppling what they just spent a year trying to cram and produce )
To me you cant beat it, and as far as pokemon is concerned they need to get their thumbs out of their butts and start with the dlc. I will pay 15 bucks for a few extra routes and some new clothes. word. I just paid 15 bucks for 5 maps and two guns for my cod account... would have gave em 30 bucks to be honest because its like adding a whole new game in.
How is that being stagnate?
If any thing I would be rotting away into nothing if I had to depend on pkmn to give us something, 5 months out and all we got was a torchic ( that everyone has now ) and a celebi that we couldn't even soft reset the nature for... at first I did not like the idea of them using the 3ds I thought it would mean a graphic change and they would leave the old formula behind and just draw inspiration from it. I warmed up to the idea of the 3ds and loved the idea of them being able to really expand for their players, to really give us some dlc and give the faithful buyers of their games something special... 5 months, son I am disappoint

Years
Whilst I agree with most comments about the game written here, I don't really find them too much of an issue.

My only problem is that you start the game and it is really interesting and lots to do between the start and getting to Shalour. Multiple routes and scenery to go through. Then after Shalour it's just one route and you're in the next place. I feel it's kind of like they started the game for a 2014 release date and then though OH NO we should do this in 2013 and rushed the ideas from Shalour onwards.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
Yeah, the game kinda hits a quagmire after the Tower of Mastery

2009-Platinum
2010-Heartgold/SoulSilver
2011-Black/White
2012-Black2/White2
2013-X&Y
2014-???

To be honest, not a fan of rapid-yearly release pokemon games, at leasst give us a few years to get used to the old game before you give us something new

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Your double battle complaint made me realise how redundant sky battles were/are.

Years

2009-Platinum
2011-Black/White
2012-Black2/White2
2013-X&Y
2014-???

To be honest, not a fan of rapid-yearly release pokemon games, at leasst give us a few years to get used to the old game before you give us something new
what are you talking about man? had the full nat dex no hacks in January, the game was released in October. if pkmn aren't gonna do dlc they need to put out a game every 6 months... foreal

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
Years

2009-Platinum
2011-Black/White
2012-Black2/White2
2013-X&Y
2014-???

I like the fast releases!
I they keep up the good quality of the games's
Sure they have there flaws but in voeral I Love them!

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
The only beef I had with X/Y was how uninvolved and uninteresting the "bad guys" were. Their goal was OK. Their outfits were recognizable. Their presence made somewhat of an impact on the story overall, but it was nothing huge. Their base was very easy to navigate and left much to desire compared to Silph Co. in Red/Blue/Yellow and the Underground in Celadon city. Heck, the Radio Tower in GoldenRod was much better in comparison, and that was a very small infiltration mission.

I just wish we could have bad guys that actually feel like bad guys. Enough of this "destroy the world" stuff. Evil guys use Pokemon to achieve their goals and take to stealing, pillaging and mistreatment of their Pokemon to attain them. I didn't think anything could be worse than Plasma until I met Team Flare.

Lysandre was charismatic, but other than that, I wish they would focus more on story apart the Elite Four. It would make for a longer playtime (X/Y took a generous fifteen hours to beat - very poor), especially when the post-game activities in X/Y are non-existent. At least grace us with a good story that makes you feel more involved overall without dragging on.

Back