• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon: Liquid Crystal [3.3.xxxxx Live Beta]

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I don't know whether you've done this but wouldn't it be a good idea to share information on how to make beta 3.1 save file compatible with 3.2 rom file? Yeah, you probably don't want anyone to know how to hack flags that easily but for the ones who'd like to continue with their old save file, this thing would come in handy (especially, if wanting to continue with beta 3.1 save file with beta 4).

Once again, more assumptions here based on what you told in your latest post which makes it feel possible and user-friendly to be done... If you did more than changing the ram locations where the flag bits and variables are saved, doing this won't of course work nicely enough.

Heck, you don't have to answer me if you feel annoyed by seeing me pointing this out now. But I'm just saying it because with GB, such thing done with WRAM wouldn't be so bad it couldn't be done (even by a beginner with a step-by-step tutorial).

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I don't know whether you've done this but wouldn't it be a good idea to share information on how to make beta 3.1 save file compatible with 3.2 rom file? Yeah, you probably don't want anyone to know how to hack flags that easily but for the ones who'd like to continue with their old save file, this thing would come in handy (especially, if wanting to continue with beta 3.1 save file with beta 4).

Once again, more assumptions here based on what you told in your latest post which makes it feel possible and user-friendly to be done... If you did more than changing the ram locations where the flag bits and variables are saved, doing this won't of course work nicely enough.

Heck, you don't have to answer me if you feel annoyed by seeing me pointing this out now. But I'm just saying it because with GB, such thing done with WRAM wouldn't be so bad it couldn't be done (even by a beginner with a step-by-step tutorial).

Believe me, it's not something we can do. We moved a huge portion of the flags/variables/trainerflags into a brand new memory location, and the reason that this makes 3.1 incompatible with 3.2 is that it essentially "resets" all variables and flags so that they're all set to 0 (because the previous memory location, where the "correct" value for the variable is stored is no longer used.

With the trainerflags, they all get set to beaten.

As you can see, this is obviously problematic, since it causes events to break and trainers to be useless in game. There's no good way to copy the old values over into the new locations. Besides which, it's advisable to play 3.2 from the start again anyway because 3.2 contains myriad fixes for little bugs you may have triggered otherwise.

Believe me when I say we thought long and hard about introducing the new variables, but we decided it'd be worth it since it would all but eradicate most of the flag/variable corruption issues. 3.2 runs far more reliably than 3.1 ever did due to the memory hacks we implemented. We came to the conclusion that it'd be all but impossible to actually implement some sort of conversion.

I hope that helps explain my stance from above.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Believe me when I say we thought long and hard about introducing the new variables, but we decided it'd be worth it since it would all but eradicate most of the flag/variable corruption issues. 3.2 runs far more reliably than 3.1 ever did due to the memory hacks we implemented. We came to the conclusion that it'd be all but impossible to actually implement some sort of conversion.
That makes a lot of sense actually. Overall, doing that was a good idea although you probably wanted to keep the latest versions as compatible with the newest one as possible but sometimes, it just isn't worth it. I've ran into this issue multiple times myself too, haven't just had to do as dramatic change as you've done here to break the compability before.

Spoiler:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
No listen to me, it's a more fundamental change than that. It's down to repointing vars/flags to a completely new memory location. If you use the in game save (which you should all be doing, because savestates cause bugs!), the game refuses to load your save. If you go round it using savestates, don't expect help from us when it inevitably breaks!

One final time, a beta 3.1 save is in No way usable on beta 3.2. Stop asking if it is possible, and stop advising people that it is, because it is NOT
I know my original post didn't state clearly what I meant (as I was editing the same version of that ROM to get into unreachable areas of the map to - well - map, not changing versions). I have played around in a map editor and know some of the functions in it, and how to move scripts and sprites around, and change where one can walk (things I would typically use to fix bugs), and even change weather and map names, not to mention find all sorts of useful items for writing walkthroughs if I take that upon myself. I'm presently making map-based corrections in that hack as I find them (while writing a walkthrough) and may propose having the changes released sometime when I'm finished. So my prior comment comes from that experience.

So for what I really meant to ask here. If a player saves the game (using the in-game save) while inside a Pokémon Center, will it not be read in 3.2 and lead them back outside to the correct map?

(As a disclaimer, I always create a new save state after saving in-game. Save states have never caused me bugs, but in-game saves periodically will fix any such bugs by reloading the game that way. That's my experience, and I've never heard of bugs caused by savestates in the same version of the same hack. Even fixing maps, I have to reload the game to load the changes, but my emulator always resumes right where I left off and loads the change from that state.)

Cyclone

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
So for what I really meant to ask here. If a player saves the game (using the in-game save) while inside a Pokémon Center, will it not be read in 3.2 and lead them back outside to the correct map?

No, it won't. The game will simply delete the save file as soon as it gets to the continue menu, or at least, it certainly won't load it. The old save and the new save are fundamentally incompatible, this was what I was trying to explain, but it's hard to explain why without resorting to showing you guys the ASM code behind it.

(As a disclaimer, I always create a new save state after saving in-game. Save states have never caused me bugs, but in-game saves periodically will fix any such bugs by reloading the game that way. That's my experience, and I've never heard of bugs caused by savestates in the same version of the same hack. Even fixing maps, I have to reload the game to load the changes, but my emulator always resumes right where I left off and loads the change from that state.)

Cyclone

It can happen. I've seen cases where a savestate has changed the value of a variable, which is why I advocate using the in game save so strongly. And in the case of RSE, it completely breaks the PRNG's functionality (because it never gets reseeded - it's only reseeded on game startup - whereas FR's is reseeded on every use). My point is, it's unreliable (at best) and, where possible, you should rely on the intended save feature, the in game save.

Also, apologies for losing it a bit earlier, but when you have to explain the same thing for the zillionth time, it does tend to get a bit frustrating. :(

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I am not a fool OK. Don't fight plz. I played all the game clearly without any bugs.. We will c about that when new beta comes. Mind you I found no bugs or missed events

Then you were extremely lucky. In no way should a 3.1 save work on 3.2.
Also, more fool you doesn't mean you are a fool, it means you are taking what I consider to be a foolish course of action.

At the very least, please stop telling people that using a 3.1 save is alright when the official stance is that it isn't. And, as I said above, when something does inevitably break, don't say we didn't warn you.

Years
Then you were extremely lucky. In no way should a 3.1 save work on 3.2.
Also, more fool you doesn't mean you are a fool, it means you are taking what I consider to be a foolish course of action.

At the very least, please stop telling people that using a 3.1 save is alright when the official stance is that it isn't. And, as I said above, when something does inevitably break, don't say we didn't warn you.
Thnx for telling me that and keep it up to make us all proud !!!

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2017
Hey there, finally running through LQ and must say I'm really enjoying it. Crystal was my favourite game in my youth, still remains my favourite pokemon game to this day and you guys have done a fantastic job in both restoring and improving various aspects of the game.

I've come across a few bugs here and there, most I'm sure have already been reported.
I'll post a couple here now that I have in question.

1. On coming across the outskirt island, the three pedestals on which you would place a flute were already there, without me doing a single sliding puzzle. I already had two flutes in my possession, acquired the third and then placed all 3. I then went to the ruins of alph to finish each puzzle to be sure I didn't miss any triggers. On coming across the last puzzle, ho-oh, i found it had already been completed without me ever going there. Also, when going to the spots of what I can only assume are two out of 3 of the legendary birds, I found nothing. Has this bug happened before, and if so, is there any way I could fix it without losing my progress, or any way I could get the birds?.

As for the last one I'm sure it's known. When evolving various pokemon I'm given the wrong pokedex entries, sometimes for pokemon I've yet to even see.

Thanks for your time and keep up the good work!

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Hey there, finally running through LQ and must say I'm really enjoying it. Crystal was my favourite game in my youth, still remains my favourite pokemon game to this day and you guys have done a fantastic job in both restoring and improving various aspects of the game.

What is this LQ you speak of? I know of LC, but not LQ. :P

I've come across a few bugs here and there, most I'm sure have already been reported.
I'll post a couple here now that I have in question.

1. On coming across the outskirt island, the three pedestals on which you would place a flute were already there, without me doing a single sliding puzzle. I already had two flutes in my possession, acquired the third and then placed all 3. I then went to the ruins of alph to finish each puzzle to be sure I didn't miss any triggers. On coming across the last puzzle, ho-oh, i found it had already been completed without me ever going there. Also, when going to the spots of what I can only assume are two out of 3 of the legendary birds, I found nothing. Has this bug happened before, and if so, is there any way I could fix it without losing my progress, or any way I could get the birds?.

This seems to be causing massive problems, but I know that it can't be caused by flag/variable corruption (unless you're playing 3.1, and if you are, why are you playing it?).

This will need quite some amount of work to fix though, so don't hold your breath.

As for the last one I'm sure it's known. When evolving various pokemon I'm given the wrong pokedex entries, sometimes for pokemon I've yet to even see.

Thanks for your time and keep up the good work!

Known bug, just haven't found time to fix it yet. It's hard trying to administer this thread, do university coursework, and hack all at the same time.

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2017
What is this LQ you speak of? I know of LC, but not LQ. :P

This seems to be causing massive problems, but I know that it can't be caused by flag/variable corruption (unless you're playing 3.1, and if you are, why are you playing it?).

This will need quite some amount of work to fix though, so don't hold your breath.

Known bug, just haven't found time to fix it yet. It's hard trying to administer this thread, do university coursework, and hack all at the same time.

Whoops, typo on my part there. Cheers

I'm playing 3.2, I'm not quite sure what might have caused it regarding anything I did ingame. I placed each flute before even beating the league if that counts for anything. Do the birds spawn before or after the league/second league?

Fair enough, I'll deal with it, I'm not too fussed about the pokedex at the moment, glad you guys are aware.

A new one, after clearing the zapdos event in the radio tower, Axel remains outside even if beaten. I assume completeing a later trigger might fix this but I'm not sure. He was there when I first reached Lavender too, coming from Fuchsia, despite the fact that I had never even been to the tower. I went to Lavender before going up through Saffron first, would that affect any triggers?

Hope your studies are going well!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2012
Okay so I tried entering the Battle Tower & now I'm stuck. I made a mistake saving the SAV file on the elevator so now I'm stuck in a loop where I'm brought up the elevator, into a room & then it just freezes at this frame every single time:

puu.sh /1do0I (erase the space, it's not letting me post pictures or even URL's of the screenshot)

Is there any way to fix this without losing all my data & starting the game over?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Courtesy quoting to show image in this post. Spoilered as it's somewhat large.

Okay so I tried entering the Battle Tower & now I'm stuck. I made a mistake saving the SAV file on the elevator so now I'm stuck in a loop where I'm brought up the elevator, into a room & then it just freezes at this frame every single time:

Spoiler:

Is there any way to fix this without losing all my data & starting the game over?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018

puu.sh /1do0I (erase the space, it's not letting me post pictures or even URL's of the screenshot)

Does it actually freeze (as in, no music, player can't move)?
Or can you move around (like if you hold up, it makes the "thud" noise, as if you're walking into a tree or something?

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2012
Does it actually freeze (as in, no music, player can't move)?
Or can you move around (like if you hold up, it makes the "thud" noise, as if you're walking into a tree or something?

The game music keeps playing in a loop, but the controls are completely frozen. No matter what button I press it has no effect & just stays on that exact screen.

Folteon

A FLAREON & JOLTEON hybrid <3
Years
Is anybody playing this on their android phone? is it possible?

Hey! Yes there is, and its very simple once u figure it out. Im playing mine now! Here are the steps for playing Pokemon liquid crystal on your Android phone :)

Step 1: download any regular Pokemon fire red.zip file on to your phone (coolroms.com)
Step 2: locate and download the Pokemon liquid crystal game file off of this page, on to your phone. Make sure file ends in ".ips" (without quotation marks)
Step 3: Now that you have downloaded both files, locate them in your phones internal hard drive "dowloads" folder. If they are there, move on :) half way there!!
Step 4: in the same internal hard drive just outside of the downloads folder, create a new folder named "liquid crystal". Inside this folder, move both of the files you just downloaded. you should see something (similar, not exactly the same, the names may be different...)like this:

Pokemon_liquid_crystal.ips
Pokemon_Fire_Red.zip

Step 5: just rename the Pokemon liquid crystal .ips file to the same as your fire red.zip file. Here is another SIMILAR example:

Pokemon_Fire_Red.ips <= the one we renamed
Pokemon_Fire_Red.zip <= original Fire red ROM left untouched

step 6: now heres where its kindof tricky. I use the "My Boy!" Free Android market emulater. So I would download that one and follow my last step for easiest results... Anyways what you do is open "My Boy!" Emulater, and direct the directory (lol) to the new folder you created. Open the file and open the Pokemon_Fire_Red.ZIP file. (not the ips file!!!) And BAM! Enjoy :) to save the game, just do in game save.

[edit: totally tried to convince everyone that LC is a ruby hack instead of fire red... Its late and im tired, what can I say? lol) anywayysss... Fixed!

Last edited:
Back