• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

BEST. POKEMON. EVA!!!

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
When choosing favorites, what do you generally look for, to make a pokemon a favourite pokemon? Why would you prefer it than other attributes it has?

For example, would you prefer if a pokemon is cute? That its weird-looking? That it has a cool name? That has lots of colors? Not too much colors? That has an interesting name origin? And the list basically goes on from there.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
I usually don't care for a Pokemon's name, as you can always give it a nickname. I do think a Pokemon's coloring shouldn't be too weird looking, bright colors might work for some, but not for all.

I don't like Pokemon that are "stiff" like magnezone, I'd rather have a pokemon that is able to make good use out of it's limbs. I also don't like pokemon with short or stubby legs like Golem and Salamence.
I prefer pokemon with 4 legs which are bipedal, but still don't look weird when walking on all 4, like Zangoose or Swampert.

In terms of stats, I usually tend to pick Pokemon that are not too sluggish, and have high attack. They should also be able to learn a wide variety of moves.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
It comes to me naturally, tbh. I don't have set standards, or cool names. However it looks, might it be as ugly as Garbordor (which is an awesome Pokemon, mind you) or as beautiful as Milotic, as long as its my favorite.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I prefer the elegant, dangerous ones. Having lots of sharp bits is a bonus. Like Bisharp and Gallade. I won't use anything that I think looks derpy or unfabulous.

And yes, I did just use the word 'unfabulous' un-sarcastically, so sue me. ;)

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
I'm not sure... they're usually cool looking reptilian pokemon that I like. It's also how they're depicted.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I look for use first, looks second. My favorite Pokemon at the moment is Ferrothorn, and that has nothing to do with its design. Hydreigon is a close second, and I believe I would love it regardless of its design.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I have a tendency to go for fully evolved, powerful and fast Pokemon. Speed is the stat I look at first when looking at favourites, and while some certainly don't have it - Cradily, for one - most of my faves do e.g. Aerodactyl, Houndoom etc.

As well as this, if I've used the Pokemon in my team for a certain length of time and come to appreciate its eccentricities - this is where Cradily comes in, as well as Excadrill - then I'll often come to appreciate the Pokemon in turn.

And then of course there's some of them that just look awesome. Like Lapras, and Chandelure.

RHCP

||Sweetie Belle~
Years
I normally find my favourite Pokemon by watching the anime/movies; whichever appeals to me.
(That's why most of my favourites are Legendaries)

I also like rodent-related Pokemon, such as Sandshrew & Minccino.

Years
I tend to base my favourites aesthetically - if I look at it and think to myself "okay, that looks AWESOME" it pretty much becomes a firm favourite, if it can generate that kind of reaction :D

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Wow, I never actually knew that people even decide based on names at all! x)

Anyway, although viability in a competitive / efficient in-game environment is important to me, I mostly pick based on looks and obtainability. For some reason I've always found that the harder-to-get Pokémon that require a lot of hunting or special evolution methods far more appealing than 'normal' ones.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I pretty much look for the following to be my favorite Pokemon:

1. Awesomeness - The Pokemon I choose must be pretty good in battle, like having a pretty good moveset and stats.
2. Cuteness & adorableness - Is it cute like Oshawott? YOU'RE MY FAVORITE!
3. Name origin - According to the name origin of Meganium, it means "giant flower". It sounds pretty because I love flowers. <3
4. Colors - If the Pokemon has a pretty color, I'd fall in love with it.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Oh...i'm not that good at picking favorites. I love them all <3 I think I tend to go for cuteness/awesomeness. Not just in looks, but also in personality. Which is one of the few things that I still like in the anime: the pokemon aren't just pixels on a screen that never change.

My current favorite:
Cinder-Typhlosion.png

He just ended up growing on me, plus he just looks cool when colored that way <3
~My amazing Cinder

Years
my favourites are usually something i can imagine having as a pet. that means it going to be mostly based on looks.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I usually like pokémon who are at least mostly bipedal and can learn the move Slash. ^^ Like Ursaring, Sandshrew, Zangoose, Scizor... those types. I don't really know why, but I really like them the most.

Of course I like a lot of other pokémon as well, and some are due to cuteness, like Teddiursa, while others are for general... awesomeness xD I don't really know why I like Poliwhirl-family, Staryu and Bulbasaur this much, but I do. :3

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
First of all it must be something with a cool and appealing design to me. I ten to like bipedal Pokemon more, Pokemon with visible limbs.

The next thing will be it's typing. If it's one of my favourite types or a unique combo, I'd like it.

The concept also. If the Pokemon has a good theme, interesting origin, it'd good in my books.

That's all really, the name doesn't matter to me, just the look, typing and general concept.

MegaSlowBro.

泣かないで。
Years
Back when I was little, I used to like the huge cool-looking ones. I guess I wanted someone who I knew/looked like it had my back...or possibly the awesome big brother figure I never had. xD

Now, I pretty much go for the design/concept first. Then it trickles down to the type, color scheme, name, and so on.

I've noticed that I like to go for the ones that look elegant, yet deadly. >:D

Last edited:
Back