• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hardest Pokemon name to pronounce?

Kurono

Remember?
Years
Well here you can go ahead and name those Pokemon you hate to pronounce. Personally I think Groudon is tough to pronounce..I'm not sure if it should be pronounced as grew-don or grow(as in growl without and 'l')-don..so people...what are your thoughts?

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
Years
Hm... for me it'd be some of the new ones like Gardevoir and Barboach. Also, I really think they butcher Larvitar's name on the anime. I mean, since when is an "i" pronounced "ay"??? Because they always say "Larvaytar". It's weird, shouldn't it be more like "Larvitar" with the "vit" sounding like "bit" or "vite". Meh, those two pronunciations make more sense than "ay". -_-

Kurono

Remember?
Years
Yeah..though I always take note of it I never realise they pronounce it differently..but its 4Kids fault..they kind of suck with the Dubbing.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
Years
I've always had a huge problem pronouncing "Kyogre" but in the end I stuck to my cousin's way of saying it. "Kaigor" but sometimes I say "kaiorga".
Then there were the Pigeot and the Ratata incidents. And at the time I had a pronounciation booklet of the names
Pidgeot: everyone said Pijeeaht but me and the book, the books said pijiht but then again so did Officer Jenny in "Houen Alone"
Ratata: I thought EVERYONE said Ruhtatuh but suddenly I find out its Ratuhta. I mean like wtf!!11oneone

Chiru

I dun use this account any mo'
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 31, 2013
Most people I know pronounce rattata like "rattatat". I pronounce it the way they do in the dubbed anime.

My list (with how I pronounce each name):

Chimecho (Chime-eko, I think that's right)
Misdreavus (Miss-druh-vus)
Numel (Noo-mul)
Kyogre (Kee-oh-gur)
Milotic (My-luh-tic)
Chinchou (Chin-cho)
Ampharos (Am-pha-ross)
Gardevoir (Garde-vwa)
Kirlia (Kurly-uh)
Grovyle (Grov-ul)

ArKiVe

Back In Black
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Oct 30, 2006
Well sounds pretty pathetic but it was probably Rayquaza for me. On the Deoxys movie they said RAY-QUAY-ZA and for a long time I've been saying RAY-QUAZ-A. I always say the 2nd one anyways cause I'll forget how to say it properly.

Fury of Ninetales

I'm back!
Years
i agree geoff. my friend and i always said ray-quaz-a and now after seeing the 7th movie, he sometimes says the butchered 4kids name ray-quay-za. i've always said gar-de-vwar for gardevoir and pidjit for pidgeot. i used to say suicune's name really weirdly. i said -sue-i-cane instead of swee-coon. dumb me XD

Chiru

I dun use this account any mo'
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 31, 2013
Hm, I haven't seen the Deoxys movie; I pronounce it Ray-quahz-uh. the other pronunciation sounds strange o.O

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
Years
I've always had a beef with the way the name Lugia is pronounced.

LOOGIE-ah sounds like something you cough up when you have bronchitis. I've always preferred loo-GUY-ah.

Oh, and for the longest time I pronounced Wobbuffet "Wobbuffay", as in a food buffet, it was never cleared up until Jessie got that infernal creature in Johto <_<;

RSL

RaikouSpecialLover
Years
Dub Pronouciation Mistakes

CharMz said:
Yeah..though I always take note of it I never realise they pronounce it differently..but its 4Kids fault..they kind of suck with the Dubbing.
Exactly that...about HOW many times have they been suck-ups with the dubbing? Lets find out...

Ekans
Its E-CANS, not ECK-ENS

Corsola
Its KOR-SOUL-A, not COURSE-OLA

Misdreavus
Its MISS-DREE-VUS, not MISS-DRI-VIS

(This is a Stadium 2 error)
Suicune
Its SWEE-KOON, not SWY-KOON

And the Pidgey line an Rattata as noted.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 12, 2015
Kyogre for me the first part kyi is pretty simple but the gre just seems to get stuck in my tounge, I used to have some problem pronouncing deoxys too.

Tor-Chick

Tor-Chick
Years
Lugia sounds like loogie, phlem you spit up which is nasty.

I say:

Rayquaza as Ray-Qwah-Zah,
Kyogre as Key-Oh-Gray,
Misdreavus as Miss-Dree-Vee-Us,
Gardevoir as Gar-Dee-Vwar *it sounds French*

As for the legendary dogs, they ticked me off in Colleseum, so I just called them Raikou *Rye-Coo is how I pronounce it, Hentai *for Entei, and Suicide *for Suicune, which I pronounce Sway-Coon. Hows that for those Japanese people giving them impossible names.

Back