• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
RE: Eevee evolution event

Hiya,
I wanted to know how you receive the eevee evolution pokemon befriended on the online game. I befriended an Espeon a while back, but haven't managed to transfer it onto my black version - don't know what to do. I entered the dream world, but don't know what I have to do to bring the pokemon into my game. Would be very grateful if someone could help.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Hiya,
I wanted to know how you receive the eevee evolution pokemon befriended on the online game. I befriended an Espeon a while back, but haven't managed to transfer it onto my black version - don't know what to do. I entered the dream world, but don't know what I have to do to bring the pokemon into my game. Would be very grateful if someone could help.

This question belongs in the Quick Questions thread in Stunfisk & Herdier.

The PGL website has instructions on the Promotions page. You'll need to Game Sync your cart to the Global Link and then capture the Espeon in the Entree Forest.

Yanminator

Yanma Breeder
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
Do level 100 Pokemon have better stats in Flat Battles than others?

A simple question.
My team has been kicked to the curb far too many times and I can't figure out why. I've EV trained all of them and most are level 50-80. And no matter what, it just seems like my Pokemon are overall weaker than anything I've battled online. My team does very little damage to the opposing Pokemon, and are usually killed in one hit. I've raised my team's HP and Defenses but that doesn't seem to make any difference.
Question: Will a Pokemon who has been leveled up to 100 have higher overall stats than one who hasn't, when competing in a Flat Battle?
Does a Pokemon that has been EV trained to maximum EVs not receive all of the added stat points, and therefore not reach it's potential zenith until it has Max leveled?

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
So it seems you've EV trained your pokemon in the Defense stat and HP stat? Well generally, EV'ing pokemon in just those stats isn't always the best idea. It depends on the pokemon and the general rule-of-thumb is to EV train your pokemon in their best stats. For the example of Defense and HP, Skarmory comes to mind because it has a naturally high defense stat, and paring that with HP and Def EVs, you can make a bulky physical wall.

However, pokemon like Haxorus do not want to be EV'd in HP and Def because he's generally taking the role of a sweeper, more specifically, a physical sweeper. With his massive 147 base Attack, you would want to spend 252 Evs in Attack and Speed, with 4 in HP (to not waste anything) to offer maximum potential.

On top of that, natures are extremely important as well. Make sure your natures match what you want the pokemon to be doing. Impish (raises Defense, lowers Special Attack) is excellent for Skarmory, whereas Adamant is excellent for Haxorus (raises Attack, lowers special attack).

To answer the rest of your questions; no, a pokemon trained to level 100 will not have better stats if it's dropped to a flat rate of 50 for a battle. As for you second question, that is correct. You will not see all the investments of your EVs until you reach level 100. I wouldn't really worry about this if you're battling at a flat rate of 50, because your opponent faces the same hurdle.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
i'll post this anyway since apparently this was deleted during the move!

since the 50 is half of 100, the stats are much less accurate, as is the damage. for example, max attack lucario vs a max hp metagross does 54.7% - 64.6% while level 100, and when they are both level 50, it's 56.1% - 66.3%. though it seems there is a slight increase, so i'm not sure why your pokemon seem weaker. as far as i know, pokemon still keep their evs in a flat battle too. does your pokemon have poor natures or ivs? if not, i don't know what the issue is then.

Yanminator

Yanma Breeder
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
i'll post this anyway since apparently this was deleted during the move!

since the 50 is half of 100, the stats are much less accurate, as is the damage. for example, max attack lucario vs a max hp metagross does 54.7% - 64.6% while level 100, and when they are both level 50, it's 56.1% - 66.3%. though it seems there is a slight increase, so i'm not sure why your pokemon seem weaker. as far as i know, pokemon still keep their evs in a flat battle too. does your pokemon have poor natures or ivs? if not, i don't know what the issue is then.

The main Poke in question is my Spiritomb. It has Calm Nature, boosting Special Defense and lowering Attack. Then I trained 252 EVs into HP, 116 Speed, 122 Defense, 20 Special Attack. I would think that (coupled with Spiritomb 's naturally high defenses ) this would be a decent Pokemon.

As she stands now, Spiritomb's stats at Lv. 51:
HP: 154
Attack: 92
Defense: 136
Special Attack: 104
Special Defense: 126
Speed: 64

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
The main Poke in question is my Spiritomb. It has Calm Nature, boosting Special Defense and lowering Attack. Then I trained 252 EVs into HP, 116 Speed, 122 Defense, 20 Special Attack. I would think that (coupled with Spiritomb 's naturally high defenses ) this would be a decent Pokemon.

As she stands now, Spiritomb's stats at Lv. 51:
HP: 154
Attack: 92
Defense: 136
Special Attack: 104
Special Defense: 126
Speed: 64
spiritomb with perfect ivs, the same ev spread, and at level 51 gives me:

HP: 159
Atk: 102
Def: 146
SpA: 117
SpD: 143
Spe: 71

so yeah, your tomb does have much lower ivs than a standard flawless one, and that's most likely the reason why it's weaker.

Last edited:

.Aero

Years
I can already tell you that your IVs aren't very good (or you EV training is off somewhere). Regardless, Tomb should be using EVs like this: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD with Bold Nature. His best set at the moment is a Calm Mind set, so boosting with Calm Mind will offer excellent defenses.

Spiritomb@Leftovers
Bold Nature [+Def; -Atk]
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Dark Pulse
- Sleep Talk / Hidden Power [Fighting]

This is the recommended set for him. It offers the most survivability, while also providing you with decent coverage and status absorbing capabilities.

Yanminator

Yanma Breeder
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
How do you determine a Pokemon's IV?

Spiritomb@Leftovers
Bold Nature [+Def; -Atk]
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Dark Pulse
- Sleep Talk / Hidden Power [Fighting]

Spiritomb can't learn Sleep Talk in 5th generation. And how do you specify which Hidden Power you want to use?
And Bold nature is similar to Calm nature, just boosting standard Defense instead of Special Defense. Are you suggesting going with a solid standard Defense and forgetting all about the Special Defense? I'm not so confident that there are enough players that ignore Special damage.

Last edited:

.Aero

Years
There a couple ways, but here's the best calculator:

http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

Choose your pokemon, nature, "characteristic" (when you click the drop down box, you should know what I mean), and fill in the stats/EVs you've invested and click Calculate. It will give you the IV values at the bottom. :] (This assumes level 100 I believe though).

Alternatively, if you use Pokemon Online, you can adjust the pokemon's level on the right, fill in the EVs, and then steadily move the IVs about until you notice changes in the stats. When they match yours, you know you have that IV. Be careful though as it could be a range of IVs.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
How do you improve a Pokemon's IV?
unfortunately, you cannot. your pokemon are given its own ivs right when you catch/hatch it. it's random really, unless you use rng abuse or other breeding techniques.

Years
  • Seen Dec 22, 2011
golurk

just wondering, is golurk a good pkmn for countering fighting, normal and electric pkmn? his abbilitys are pretty bad, so i was wondering if it aint a waste to get him for the league

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
Years
I've been EV training a Kabutops and I can't think of two other moves for it.
It has...

- Swords Dance
- Waterfall

I'm thinking of these

- Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- X-Scissor/Night Slash

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I've been EV training a Kabutops and I can't think of two other moves for it.
It has...

- Swords Dance
- Waterfall

I'm thinking of these

- Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- X-Scissor/Night Slash

Stone Edge and Aqua Jet/Low Kick are the two best options for those slots.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
How do you determine a Pokemon's IV?

Spiritomb can't learn Sleep Talk in 5th generation. And how do you specify which Hidden Power you want to use?
And Bold nature is similar to Calm nature, just boosting standard Defense instead of Special Defense. Are you suggesting going with a solid standard Defense and forgetting all about the Special Defense? I'm not so confident that there are enough players that ignore Special damage.

You raise it on a Generation IV game, then transfer it over... also, it has Calm Mind to raise it's Special attack and Defense stats, that is why Bold nature + 252 Ev's in Defense are needed.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

Like dragonomega said, Calm Mind will boost your Special Defense - that's why you don't really need to focus so much on it because it will be boosted anyway. Your Hidden Power is determined by your IVs. More information on that can be found here.

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
is this a viable sunny day jumpluff moveset:
Jumpluff - Chlorophyll/ leaf guard - Leftovers
Jolly Nature
252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 defence
sleep powder
amnesia
cotton guard
toxic

Basically you put them to sleep using your sleep powder, then use amnesia and cotton guard and increase your special defence + 2 and defence +3 respectively
then if the opponant wakes up after about 1 of each then put it back to sleep and keep using amnesia and cotton guard. Then when it wakes up again use toxic and just toxic stall out

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
what is a good defensive jirachi set? i was thinking about going the whish/calm mind combo.

jirachi @ leftovers
quirky nature ( its the only nature i have without hacking)
252 Sp. def 252 SP. attack 6 speed
calm mind/ cosmic power
wish
psychic/psyshock
doom desire/flash cannon/ thunderbolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back