• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

'Smell Ya Later': The Rival Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
Years
The rival I had the most trouble with?
It's between Silver and Blue. I always had problems dealing with their different-typed teams more than the others. Blue's Gyarados would wreck my teams in some play throughs, and his Arcanine in others. Silver's Crobat always destroyed me until I put Electrode in my Soul Silver.

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
Years
The rival I had the most trouble with?
It's between Silver and Blue. I always had problems dealing with their different-typed teams more than the others. Blue's Gyarados would wreck my teams in some play throughs, and his Arcanine in others. Silver's Crobat always destroyed me until I put Electrode in my Soul Silver.
Multi-type trainers are always hard, it could just be one Pokémon that could wreck your team when it is weak to it.
BW1 Theme And Im Suprise After Beat N And Gensis Battled Me It's Really Hard To Beat N But It's Great Battle Exprince For Me :)
I don't quite understand what you're saying, but I'll try. xD
BW1's theme is a little too happy and it isn't really memorable imo.
Yeah, when you discover that Ghetsis was just using N for his own plans, you're pretty suprised.

Sonatron

Face of Rubber
Years
Aw yeah! Pokémon rivals! Always the best and most memorable characters in my opinion :D

Sign-up form:

Username: Sonatron
Favorite Rival: I like Wally, N, and Gary/Blue, but N wins because of reasons.
Answer the current topic: the Ruby/Sapphire rival theme is my favourite, but Black/White comes close.

Years
Username: Cirno
Favorite Rival: Barry! He's very different from the other, more mellow/calm rivals we had in the games but that's what made him cool. I loved his portrayal in the anime and how amusing he was to watch.
What is your favorite Rival battle theme?: The R/S/E rival battle theme was great, though I'm still a little upset that they barely got any screentime and basically served no purpose. Could have done so much more with May and Brendan. :(

The above two were also the easiest to defeat and none were particularly very hard. Hm, well, I suppose Green/Blue's last battle in the E4 was pretty tough, though it never did make struggle all that much.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Favorite Rival: Barry! He's very different from the other, more mellow/calm rivals we had in the games but that's what made him cool. I loved his portrayal in the anime and how amusing he was to watch.
I definitely loved Barry in the anime as well, and really felt like they nailed it at keeping the character as close to the original character as possible. Actually, he's the first character whom I felt like they actually replicated the personality of from the games, and the fact that he was a side character only added to that. All of the gym leaders, May, Dawn, etc., they've always felt like their own characters, rather than someone take from their games, but of course it's also limited what they can do with characters you only ever meet once. But yeah, I really like Barry in the anime :p

I also kinda liked him as a rival, because, unlike rivals like Blue and Silver, he wasn't ever a jerk about losing, despite being just as set on beating you as both of those. However, I still kinda feel like he falls under the category as "friend whom you occasionally battle", just like Cheren and Bianca, as his personality in my mind just doesn't really fit that of a rival. I mean, putting it in perspective, while playing PokeMMO, I battled Alex about as many times as I battled my rival, always set on winning, but I never really considered him a rival. The only reason I'd feel differently about it with Barry is because he wasn't ever actually my friend. I didn't know him before playing the game, and thus it feels like his only purpose in the game is to battle me. But if I was actually the main character, I'd most likely have felt different about it :p But then again, I guess the definition of a rival can vary between people, so that's just how I feel about it all ;)

Guess it's time for a new topic, since we've had the same one for months now? :p

Which rival do you dislike the most? Any specific reasons?

xMikasax

Your Worst Nightmare
Years
Username: xMikasax
Favorite Rival: N
Answer the current topic: I definitely like Green's battle music because when I always hear it I feel energize and relaxed.

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
Years
I personally disliked the Hoenn rivals the most, mainly because they were mainly non-existant. They only showed up a handful of times, and on top of that they were extremely easy to beat! In my opinion, they don't count as rivals. They never worked towards the same goals, and they were more helpful than hindering, much like the rest of the awesome ones.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Username: Perdition Haze.
Favorite Rival: Cheren. I just love how knowledgeable he is on Pokémon. He may be a bit judgmental, but he manages to maintain his cool at all times and always makes smart choices. Also, I really like the way that he dresses. It's simplistic, and it's pretty stylish as well!

In my Pokémon Black version, I had a very hard time defeating him in the Victory Road. Scrafty was the only Pokémon that was able to save me from him. If it wasn't for Scrafty, then Cheren would've sent me back to the Pokémon Center and made me go into the Victory Road again just to rebattle him. xD I would have been a bit upset about it.

What is your favorite Rival battle theme?
May/Branden battle theme is my favorite. Whenever I heard this song in Pokémon Emerald, it always motivated me to get my opponent defeated. And when I was younger, this song used to be stuck in my head a lot. Silver battle theme would have to be my second favorite, because every time I hear this song, it reminds me of my childhood.

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
Years
Aw yeah! Pokémon rivals! Always the best and most memorable characters in my opinion :D

Sign-up form:

Username: Sonatron
Favorite Rival: I like Wally, N, and Gary/Blue, but N wins because of reasons.
Answer the current topic: the Ruby/Sapphire rival theme is my favourite, but Black/White comes close.
Welcome!
N is a pretty awesome guy, but his hair is just weird... :P
I don't like both of them, but it doesn't matter if you do. xD

What is your favorite Rival battle theme?: The R/S/E rival battle theme was great, though I'm still a little upset that they barely got any screentime and basically served no purpose. Could have done so much more with May and Brendan. :(

The above two were also the easiest to defeat and none were particularly very hard. Hm, well, I suppose Green/Blue's last battle in the E4 was pretty tough, though it never did make struggle all that much.
I liked Barry too, he was indeed very unique.
Not a big fan of the theme, but I agree that they could've done much more.

I definitely loved Barry in the anime as well, and really felt like they nailed it at keeping the character as close to the original character as possible. Actually, he's the first character whom I felt like they actually replicated the personality of from the games, and the fact that he was a side character only added to that. All of the gym leaders, May, Dawn, etc., they've always felt like their own characters, rather than someone take from their games, but of course it's also limited what they can do with characters you only ever meet once. But yeah, I really like Barry in the anime :p

I also kinda liked him as a rival, because, unlike rivals like Blue and Silver, he wasn't ever a jerk about losing, despite being just as set on beating you as both of those. However, I still kinda feel like he falls under the category as "friend whom you occasionally battle", just like Cheren and Bianca, as his personality in my mind just doesn't really fit that of a rival. I mean, putting it in perspective, while playing PokeMMO, I battled Alex about as many times as I battled my rival, always set on winning, but I never really considered him a rival. The only reason I'd feel differently about it with Barry is because he wasn't ever actually my friend. I didn't know him before playing the game, and thus it feels like his only purpose in the game is to battle me. But if I was actually the main character, I'd most likely have felt different about it :p But then again, I guess the definition of a rival can vary between people, so that's just how I feel about it all ;)

Guess it's time for a new topic, since we've had the same one for months now? :p

Which rival do you dislike the most? Any specific reasons?
I don't really watch the anime, but I did see one episode with him and I think he is pretty good in the anime.

I agree.

I hate Cheren, I don't really know why, he's just so annoying lol.

Username: xMikasax
Answer the current topic: I definitely like Green's battle music because when I always hear it I feel energize and relaxed.

N is a cool guy, BUT WHY DID HIS HAIR HAVE TO BE GREEN???
His theme is pretty good yeah, it's very memorable.

I personally disliked the Hoenn rivals the most, mainly because they were mainly non-existant. They only showed up a handful of times, and on top of that they were extremely easy to beat! In my opinion, they don't count as rivals. They never worked towards the same goals, and they were more helpful than hindering, much like the rest of the awesome ones.
I completely agree.
Username: Perdition Haze.
Favorite Rival: Cheren. I just love how knowledgeable he is on Pokémon. He may be a bit judgmental, but he manages to maintain his cool at all times and always makes smart choices. Also, I really like the way that he dresses. It's simplistic, and it's pretty stylish as well!

In my Pokémon Black version, I had a very hard time defeating him in the Victory Road. Scrafty was the only Pokémon that was able to save me from him. If it wasn't for Scrafty, then Cheren would've sent me back to the Pokémon Center and made me go into the Victory Road again just to rebattle him. xD I would have been a bit upset about it.

What is your favorite Rival battle theme?
May/Branden battle theme is my favorite. Whenever I heard this song in Pokémon Emerald, it always motivated me to get my opponent defeated. And when I was younger, this song used to be stuck in my head a lot. Silver battle theme would have to be my second favorite, because every time I hear this song, it reminds me of my childhood.

I actually hate his personaility and his clothing, the Victory Road battle was pretty hard though :P

I dislike the trumpets in Hoenn music, but I can see why so many people like it. Silver's theme is indeed very awesome.

Xaldin

Big things come in Nice packages.
Years
Username: LiteSandwich
Favorite Rival: Silver! His attitude toward the player and pokemon just screamed"I'm going to beat you",which made him my fav.him being Giovanni's Son was the icing on the cake.
What is your favorite Rival Battle Theme?:N's Final Battle! it was an epic battle and the music fit that so well.

xVaporeon

used bubblebeam!
Years
  • Age 26
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 25, 2022
Username: xVaporeon
Answer the current topic: It's hard, but I dislike Cheren, just a little. I think it's because he was quite ignorant to begin with.. I didn't like his attitude really.
Although, saying that, I don't dislike him as much anymore. It's obvious he's learned more about Pokemon, and I think that was good for him ^_^
BUT I DO HATE IT WHEN YOU HAVE 1 POKEMON WITH 1 HP LEFT AFTER A TOUGH BATTLE AND HE JUST APPEARS, DEMANDING ANOTHER BATTLE. UGH D:

Years
Username: Headphonix
Favorite Rival: Silver
Current Topic:Cheren, he doens't have that "rival attitude" like Green or Silver. One of the things I love most in Pokemon games are the rivals and Cheren failed to meet my expectations.

Olli

Years
Hey guys! Adding all of the new members to the list, though I don't know where LolPizzaLol has been lately :( Anyways, might as well just present you all with a new topic in hopes that it'll spout some activity :p

Which rival did you find to be the most difficult? And likewise, which did you find to be the easiest?

Years
Which rival did you find to be the most difficult?
Blue, his team has a lot of different types and he always shows up in the worst situations. >.>
which did you find to be the easiest?
Without couting with the XY rivals, Bianca, never had a hard time against her.

Olli

Years
Which rival did you find to be the most difficult?
Blue, his team has a lot of different types and he always shows up in the worst situations. >.>

I can definitely agree there. I believe I mentioned it in my OP as well, but yeah, the fact that he has such a diverse team, filled with some of the stronger Pokemon of the generation (well, at least the Arcanine and Alakazam :p) really proved for his battles to be tough, although admittedly, I personally didn't really start struggling until I got to the last 3 rival battles. But I can definitely agree, if you hadn't played the game before, and had no idea when he'd show up, he definitely does show up at the worst times. Like, I was definitely not prepared to battle him at the end of SS. Anne or at the top of Silph Co. the first few times I played the games, which usually meant problems :p

As for the rival I personally found to be the hardest, while I probably would've agreed with you on Bianca, I just simply haven't played B/W yet. So in my experience, the easiest rival so far would've probably had to be Wally. While May/Brendan weren't really supposed to pose as much of a threat, I honestly almost always had a hard time with them in my first few playthroughs, though you can blame my lack of strategy in choosing Pokemon, and lack of effort put into training them for that :p But yeah, Wally was definitely no threat at all, and considering the few amount of times he actually shows up, I would've expected him to just shoot up through the roof between each battles, but no. In my most recent playthrough of Sapphire, I was actually afraid of having to battle him at the end of the Victory Road, because my Pokemon were extremely underleveled for that area, so a lot of them had fainted at that point. But what do you know, I managed to take out his entire team with my Gardevoir, so I'd almost call him one of the weaker trainers in there. So yeah, definitely the weakest in my opinion :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back