• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated/Unknown Games

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
ITT: such rage

Anyway, heres my pick:

boktai-2.jpg

This game is amazing, deserved way more recognition in the West. The third game not being translated is what actually made me start learning Japanese.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Playing that game these days though is too freaking hard with the solar panel on it and what not.

Anyway, Summoner. Launch PS2 game, nothing special. Textures are of middling quality, the pop-up will drive you insane, however looking past its technical failures, the game is freaking amazing. That's right, AMAZING. Its a WRPG with FF12s battle system before FF12, the music is addictive, the story actually makes sense, lots of lore to find just exploring(much like elder scrolls) and you have to grind to get anywhere. But its an amazing grind, cause equipment shows on your character model, and if you leave things in autopilot you rarely die.

Poki

Banned
Years
Serious Sam isn't well known, so I'm just gonna say that it's an awesome game, and you should give it a go, if you haven't already.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
Years
INTERNET FIGHT.

I always used to play Pharoah as a child. I think it's a fairly unknown game, but it got one bit of DLC. Everyone played Caesar I think which was roughly the same game.

Other than that, maybe Trickstyle for the Dreamcast?

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
ITT: such rage

INTERNET FIGHT.
You know, making drive through comments like these over something that's already as good as done is pretty disrespectful to both me and T!M, and doesn't make you any better. No need to bring it up again, especially when it's been said to drop it.

And I don't really see it as a "fight" or something worth getting angry about (I have an aggressive tone during arguments, however small, but I mean no illness towards anyone. Notice how I haven't insulted the other party?), but people here are ridiculously soft so whatever.
Serious Sam isn't well known, so I'm just gonna say that it's an awesome game, and you should give it a go, if you haven't already.
Didn't it win several awards (the first game anyway)? Far from unknown if you ask me!

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
There's a few games that I do see as being underrated, and it's going quite a while back: High Seas Havoc, this game you could say, was like a sonic clone, but I think what made this underrated was the fact it was too hard. Another game was Bomberman Fantasy Race, which had an interesting way of racing in the game, yet the game was only rated something like 38%.

SomariFeyWright

Seven years is all it takes...
Years
Klonoa. OH MY LORD, KLONOA.

While with the more recent games, the cabbit is more like a clothed Sonic character, the original main series Klonoa games were deep and powerful. The games have a great and loveable adorable little protagonist named Klonoa, in a fantasy-like world. It looks all cutesy and sweet, but then CEREBUS SYNDROME EVERYWHERE. Every significant moment in the plot is powerful and meaningful, and every character is made excellently. The gameplay itself is incredible, the controls being absolutely perfect for a platformer. And, good god, it let you TAKE ADVANTAGE OF RESPAWNING ENEMIES. You actually NEEDED enemies in order to complete the game: A concept few games have truly ever utilized.

If you play no other game in the franchise, play the original Door to Phantomile, or at least the cheap-but-not-as-cute-or-good wiimake, just titled Klonoa. And I DARE you not to cry at the ending.

It's a franchise that has been going under since it began, possibly to die, which is a real shame, because the Klonoa games are some of the best platformers out there. And it's clear Namco was desperate to make the little guy popular, what with all the changes, gradually more light-hearted tone, clear inspirations from the Sonic games, and a significant lack of cutesiness over time.

This series NEEDS a chance. T_T

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
Years
I say Sam & Max Hit The Road is an often overlooked game. If you're into point n' clicks and you haven't played it yet, I'd at least check it out.

Also Terranigma is pretty unknown and it is breathtakingly amazing. I strongly urge you to get it if you're into SNES RPG's.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
And, good god, it let you TAKE ADVANTAGE OF RESPAWNING ENEMIES. You actually NEEDED enemies in order to complete the game: A concept few games have truly ever utilized.
Oh? The only other series I know that does that (and it does it PERFECTLY) is the Wario Land series. Now I'm interested because that's one of my favorite aspects about the Wario games.

SomariFeyWright

Years
Oh? The only other series I know that does that (and it does it PERFECTLY) is the Wario Land series. Now I'm interested because that's one of my favorite aspects about the Wario games.
Not only does the series do it, and do it perfectly, but it's enemies are an absolute necessity in every stage of the game at some point(s) or another. Double jumping and gaining lots of air, destroying obstacles, and one enemy even allows you to briefly fly when you grab it.

Also, for anyone reading, one thing I forgot to mention about the Klonoa games is that they were truly one of the first games to utilize the concept of 2.5D, essentially meaning that it used two-dimensional gameplay mechanics on beautifully designed three-dimensional backgrounds and environments. You could throw into and toward the screen, you could ride on a minecart straight-forward rather than to the left, and other things I'm too lazy to remember.

It was one of the first games to use this now-regular mechanic and gets no credit for it. Shameful.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
You know, making drive through comments like these over something that's already as good as done is pretty disrespectful to both me and T!M
Spinosaurus said:
but people here are ridiculously soft so whatever.

lol, uh.

It's just funny man, relax. No harm intended.

Also Terranigma is pretty unknown and it is breathtakingly amazing. I strongly urge you to get it if you're into SNES RPG's.

Right on! Not a single one of my friends have even heard of Terranigma -- before the internet, I used to be sad thinking there was no one to talk about it with haha. Game is seriously underrated.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Have you played any of these games?
Actually, I know of Little King's Story, and have it to boot. =p

Anyone have Solatorobo: Red the Hunter for the DS? It's not widely available but I picked it up for very cheap yesterday by chance. I heard a lot of good things about it too, so when I get around to it I will hopefully enjoy it.

Years
Let's chill out, gang. D:
Anywho, Mana Khermia is an underrated game, I think. Granted, it's pretty old now, as it's a PS2 game and you don't see many people talking about it anymore, but, in my opinion, it's really up there in the RPG games!

I was going to say Mana Khemia as well, that is seriously one amazing RPG. I think it's sister series Atelier Iris, is also really good, but I haven't played the latter for far to long, so my judgement maybe slightly screwed.

I think it's been mentioned on this board before, but Donkey Kong (not country) for the Gameboy is a so underrated it's really a crime. That's another game where sometimes enemies are essential to continuing on in the game. One of the coolest puzzle performers out there, you know, before puzzle performers were cool.

I should also say that several rythem games ususally end up getting kinda sidelined. Granted it's kinda a niche genre, and with a fair amount of people who's experience in the genre began and ended with either DDR or Guitar Hero/Rock Band, or other very similar peripheral driven rhythm titles, others tended to get overlooked simply because they lack fancy ways to play them. Games like Elite Beat Agents, Rhythm Thief, Space Channel 5, Harmoknight and arguably Rhythm Heaven are all games that don't really get alot of attention. Even some spinoffs like ThreatRhythm Final Fantasy, could have gained more of a following then I feel they did.

Also I think Feel The Magic is extremely underrated. It's maybe one of Sega's best titles on the DS, It's kinda sorta the only mini game driven date simulator I've ever played. Also it's just got addictive music and wonderfully colourful characters and boss fights.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Not only does the series do it, and do it perfectly, but it's enemies are an absolute necessity in every stage of the game at some point(s) or another. Double jumping and gaining lots of air, destroying obstacles, and one enemy even allows you to briefly fly when you grab it.

Also, for anyone reading, one thing I forgot to mention about the Klonoa games is that they were truly one of the first games to utilize the concept of 2.5D, essentially meaning that it used two-dimensional gameplay mechanics on beautifully designed three-dimensional backgrounds and environments. You could throw into and toward the screen, you could ride on a minecart straight-forward rather than to the left, and other things I'm too lazy to remember.

It was one of the first games to use this now-regular mechanic and gets no credit for it. Shameful.
You're making me feel bad for not playing this despite being a big platformer fan. I'll get on to it.

Should I start with the PS1 game (is it on PS store? I might play it on my Vita) or the Wii game?
What was wrong with what I said?
Actually, I know of Little King's Story, and have it to boot. =p
You're a good man!

Poki

Banned
Years
Didn't it win several awards (the first game anyway)? Far from unknown if you ask me!
It might have been popular in the day, but whenever I talk with someone about it, nobody seems to remember it. Especially where I come from. So yes, that's why I decided to add it here.

SomariFeyWright

Years
You're making me feel bad for not playing this despite being a big platformer fan. I'll get on to it.

Should I start with the PS1 game (is it on PS store? I might play it on my Vita) or the Wii game?
The Wii game is a maybe. It's cheap as all hell, but it takes away a lot of the cuteness and charm the original had.

While getting it on the actual PS1 would be nice... it ain't cheap. It sells for a pretty penny, on the off-chance you can find it at all. Fortunately, it DOES have a version of itself in the PSstore. Was worth six bucks last I checked. More than affordable.

Unfortunately, the main series sequel, Lunatena's Veil, is not available on PSstore, but it's a PS2 game, and I'm pretty sure it's significantly cheaper. Haven't played it yet, but from what I've gathered, it's also worth the buy.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
knights_nightmare_ds_4392.jpg

Knights in the Nightmare! A bullet-hell tactical RPG game, if that makes any sense. A fairly innovative and hectic game if I say so myself. I rarely hear anyone talk about this game or it's brother games of the Dept. Heaven series.

Back