• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

X/Y EXP Share

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
Does anyone else want to see the implementation of the EXP Share as it works in Pokemon X/Y?

It's essentially an EXP all, but it doesn't divide EXP. Rather it takes the EXP, and gives 50% to each Pokemon in your party.

Example:

Charizard gains 1000 EXP in battle.

Every individual Pokemon in your party get 500 EXP each.

Personally, I love this feature, as it makes the game much less of a grindfest. But, I understand some people hate it for the same reason. I was wondering what the opinion of Pokecommunity was.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
I concur, and also love it.

It has gotten my horribly designed team to advance much quicker than I could have hoped on previous generations of games. :3

Winter Wonderland

Years
Well, I like it 'cause it makes playing Pokemon more about playing Pokemon and not about sitting down in one route and grinding until the game becomes a blur in your mind.

I'd love to have it on my hack. :3

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I think if it's used, the level curve of the game should be adjusted to match. The level curve of X/Y was apparently done with the thing off. If you play through X/Y without the EXP Share on, then the levels seem reasonable. I played through X without the EXP Share, and by the time I reached the Elite Four, my Pokemon were Lv61-63, which is around the Elite Four levels.

However, for people that played through with the EXP Share, they're massively over leveled, having a team of 70's by the time they reached the Elite Four. I don't think Game Freak intended for you to fight the Elite Four with a team of 70's because none of them go that high, thus taking away all the challenge.

I have mixed feelings about this. I feel like the new Exp Share concept could have been reserved for a postgame item, that way raising low-level Pokemon won't be a pain postgame, and you won't be massively over-leveled during the main story, due to not having access to it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
It does seem a bit overpowered to me but at the same time it's very useful. No more needing to worry about my lower-leveled Pokemon getting left behind - even if I chose to use a single Pokemon a lot they all stay around the same level. If I catch a new Pokemon for my team, I don't have to worry that much about training either - just leave it in the team and It'll level up itself. I'd love to see it in hacks. :)

Winter Wonderland

Years
I think if it's used, the level curve of the game should be adjusted to match. The level curve of X/Y was apparently done with the thing off. If you play through X/Y without the EXP Share on, then the levels seem reasonable. I played through X without the EXP Share, and by the time I reached the Elite Four, my Pokemon were Lv61-63, which is around the Elite Four levels.

However, for people that played through with the EXP Share, they're massively over leveled, having a team of 70's by the time they reached the Elite Four. I don't think Game Freak intended for you to fight the Elite Four with a team of 70's because none of them go that high, thus taking away all the challenge.

I have mixed feelings about this. I feel like the new Exp Share concept could have been reserved for a postgame item, that way raising low-level Pokemon won't be a pain postgame, and you won't be massively over-leveled during the main story, due to not having access to it.

It does seem a bit overpowered to me but at the same time it's very useful. No more needing to worry about my lower-leveled Pokemon getting left behind - even if I chose to use a single Pokemon a lot they all stay around the same level. If I catch a new Pokemon for my team, I don't have to worry that much about training either - just leave it in the team and It'll level up itself. I'd love to see it in hacks. :)

See, I totally agreed that it was overpowered. With the EXP being 50% to all others, it should've been level 70's in the E4. So, if I were to implement it in my hack, I honestly would decrease that value to about 25%, maybe. That way, as Chrunch mentioned, your Pokemon won't be left behind, but it'd also be worth training them individually.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
I would be very interested in seeing what happens when you combine XY's Exp. Share mechanics with the Gen 5 experience system. Might help to stop the overleveling it causes, while also augmenting the Exp. Share's intended function of helping underleveled mons catch up painlessly.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years

I'm really interested in this topic, and I felt like I should contribute... But this quote. This quote.

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
The way I see it is the same as Chaos Rush but in the sense he said he trained without it.. so I feel if you desire to use it you can and if you don't well then you don't so its not like it is compulsory and gives people a choice...

Although it can be overpowered and I can see that affecting some people me personally I usually train my main Pokemon for 90% of the game with that I don't need to train the other pokes much at all.

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
I pretty much have the same opinion as everyone else. The new EXP Share's mechanics are awesome and cool, but by Reflection Cave during my X/Y playthrough I had to turn it off because my team was getting seriously over levelled. But, it is true that it gets rid of that useless time grinding (which can get veeeery boring) which in my opinion great. To me, the EXP Share isn't that great with your actual team, but can be very useful when it comes to training other pokemon for pokedex completing and such.

In general I have mixed feelings about it, but by all means use it in your hack. It is always fun to try and experience new things, so I think the new EXP Share would be a great addition to it :)

Winter Wonderland

Years
Well, if it's possible to implement, I intend to. However, I'm not gonna make it as strong, I intend to tone down the EXP from 50% to about 25%. If that proves to be too overpowered still, I'd lower it further. I just want to, not fully eliminate grinding, but reduce it greatly.

I feel that Pokemon game difficulty isn't based on high leveled fights, but rather planning on fighting trainers, or conserving your PP along vast stretches while solving puzzles. Sure, high level fights do come in to play sometimes, but high levels alone do not a difficult game make.

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
The idea of putting the X/Y EXP. Share into the 3rd/4th/5th generation games would be very useful. It made my Y game a more fun experience. Sure, the levels were a little OP when using it, but that makes the game easier than it is suppose to be. I don't want to spend hours upon hours of leveling up my team of Pokémon that I probably won't even use anymore. I only use that team to progress through the storyline, and a little bit of the post-storyline. The point of X/Y is to interact with your friends through Wi-Fi, complete the Pokédex, interact with your Pokémon through Pokémon-Amie, and the Super Training system to raise your Pokémon stats. The EXP. Share was created like that because it makes playing through the game a much easier experience, since the game is intended for little kids. Adding the item as in, AND NOT REDUCING THE SHARING OF EXP, would be beneficial to people for a "new experience" within the 3rd/4th/5th generation games...that's all I have to say about that.

RimasLT

My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333
Years
In hacks specially this would be the goodest Idea ( Never fear a ninja trainers from the bushes ) Someone should put it in a hack as fast as possible

itzBolt

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 29, 2013
I really like it because I'm not sitting there grinding days on end. It is such a useful feature there isn't any point in not using it.

- itzBolt

Back