• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Gyms

Which gym layout you preferred?

• Older style gyms

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Newer style gyms

Votes: 33 75.0%

• Total voters

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Do you prefer the old style gym where there was no obstacles and you could just walk wherever you want and skip some few trainers to get to the leader.

Or you prefer the newer gyms where you have do go through certain obstacles and face every trainer inside to get to the gym leader?

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I liked the newer style as it had better pokemon, graphics, and style IMO
I remember seeing Falkner's gym for the first time and being all like "...damn." like out of words xD

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
That really depends on what kind of obstacles it is you have to go through. I really liked the third generation gyms, because they managed to include obstacles, while still keeping it simple and fun. The third generation Flying type gym was probably one of my favourites to go through, mainly because I felt like it was a fun puzzle, but it was neither hard, nor was it really boring to go through. But then again, the third generation gyms are just borderline, since apart from a few, they don't really take much thinking to get through. They definitely improved on the previous generation gyms though, since for example the Electric type gym in the first generation, which was just about the only gym where there was any kind of puzzle, was really quite annoying. There was no specific pattern to the whole thing from what I remember, except that the second switch was just close to the first one, which just meant a lot of wasted time on something that wasn't fun, and that's definitely been improved in the later generations.

While some puzzles are fun and really adds to the experience while going through gyms, there are some where I'd really just prefer being able to go right on through, and facing the trainers untill I eventually get to battle the gym leader. Yeah, it's boring, but some puzzles can get really tedious and annoying, to a point where it just isn't fun, and that's a really bad way of presenting the gyms, where as gyms where it's just straight forward don't give me any reason to really like or dislike it, except for the trainers we get to face, but that's unrelated, and I just find that a whole lot better than potentially ruining a gym with annoying puzzles that are just there to make the gyms longer rather than make them fun.

So in short, I don't prefer any of the two, but rather the gyms and the puzzles individually. I can't say I prefer gyms with any kind of obstacles, since there some that I don't like, and I can't say I prefer the ones without, since there are also some with obstacles that I do like.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I like the newer gyms. I don't mind the puzzles at all and actually enjoy them if they're at all interesting, and I really like some of the fun touches (like the cannons in Skyla's gym). If nothing else, they add a bit of variety to what would otherwise be a simple, and by now probably tedious, routine.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Older style. I like them fast and simple. Anything that slows me down I find annoying. For example the Dragon gym in B2, while not a puzzle the animations take far longer than they should. Also B2 restricts breeding until the end of the game. Anything that delays my fun is terrible to me. I want Gen 1 Brock/Misty gyms for everyone!!

lineofdeath

...overuser of the ellipsis...
Years
Puzzles yay, more play time to work them out, I luve the puzxles, especcially if I enter them with foongus!

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
Newer gyms of course. The puzzles are usually fun to solve, especially Tate and Liza's puzzle in Ruby and Sapphire. If you ask me, the R/S/E puzzles were the best. As Olli97 said, the obstacles were kept simple and fun. Gen. IV puzzles were cool too, though. Like the Gen. III puzzles, they were also simple yet fun. I feel that Gen. V puzzles were a little too much.

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
The newer gyms are absolutely wonderful.
They look & feel as different as their individual leaders, but...
Older gyms have a special place in my heart; they're quick & obviously themed directly after their own leader.

I'd say Gen II & III gyms would be my favorite.
They had enough puzzles to stay interesting, while retaining that "classic" feeling I so enjoy.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
The old gyms were quite faster to finish since it's only like a one floor gym with barely even 3 trainers inside. But it was also quite boring to enter a gym you know? You would go in and say, ok, where's the gym leader?

Now with the newer ones, you would be enter inside and you would be like. Wow! This gym is really cool! And when you would go through the obstacles you would go like yay! this is fun!

For me, I prefer the newer gyms, since going to battle the gym leader should be something that you're really looking forward to. The older designs looked like my aunt's basement and wasn't really amazed by the gym itself.

Years
I prefer the newer style Gyms by far (design-wise), but would prefer if it was more like the old games where you had the option of facing some of the other trainers or not. There'll be times where I'm overleveled going into the Gym and just want to face the leader right away, but there are also times when I need the preparation battles. The third gen games seemed to have a good mix of both, which is why they have always been some of my favorite.

Years
I have to vote for the old style, but technically i like them both.
The new gyms are great, the fact that you have to battle all the trainers before the gym leader is nice, it helps a lot the first time you play for building a strategy to use with the leader and it even trains you better.
The puzzles thought, change a bit the things. First is the reality of the game: you go to a city and enter the gym to battle the leader and his pupils, not to past labyrinths and puzzles to reach him. The gym leader is suppose to beat you, not to make you made with games, he's not Saw xD
Because the first puzzles are too simple, like the mazes that just make you lose time. Then comes those puzzles like the teleport pads that gives me a headache and it takes me years to reach the gym leader.
I prefer going straight to the leader, beating all his pupils at the same time. If i want to do some puzzles, i can just go and have fun at the puzzle master that there was i think in Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald, that where even made very well and more entertaining.

OranBerry

Novice trainer
Years
I prefer the newer style where you would have to navigate through different puzzles and mazes because while a bit on the easy side the gym puzzles adds some variation to the games and it mixes things up a bit.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I like the newer style gyms with puzzles because it really gets you more involved in the game. It's no longer just a "rush through as quickly as possible to get everything done" race-to-the-finish game. It also adds more playtime overall--the more things to do, the better!

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
I like the newer style, as it makes it so that you have to actually think instead of just running around battling trainers. Puzzles also make it more interesting, and I actually enjoy it when I get stuck, as I try to think of possible answers, or a way out. The older style was also kind of boring also, as every gym would pretty much be the same besides the trainers.

Back