• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen ISSHU WHY MUST YOU HAVE BECOME UNOVA!!!!!

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
Years
Well I know i had trouble originally adjusting to the change but know i am sooo used to Unova and I think it does sound cooler.

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
Personally, I didn't care when the name was changed. Both names roughly originate from the same word/phrase if I'm correct.
It's also interesting that Nintendo/Game Freak decided to give each region of the world a different name; I found that a good idea.

Oh, and I find Unova slightly over Isshu...since that what's it's named in the USA.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
I don't really care about what it's called. Either way it seems fine to me.

XeroDragon ZX

Pokemon Fuser & Dragon Tamer
Years
Either one, but im more used to Unova, cause i like in the good old US of A. And Isshu sounds like Issue, as is issue with something, in this case the name.

Years
  • Seen May 3, 2017
We're wasting valuable time complaining about the region's name when we could be complaining about the English pokemon names! Where's my Smugleaf?

ObeyMudkips

Raichupacabra back up
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 24, 2017
I prefer the name Unova. At first I was so used to the Japanese names of everything. But then the US release changed that. So Now Unova is mah thing.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I honestly don't care anymore. Isshu was a nice name and I was a little bothered in the beginning when they had changed it from that, but Unova is neat as well, and it has a nice ring to it.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
While Unova is a better name and gives more meaning to the region, you gotta love making puns out of Isshu. That was fun for me, at least. u_u

I agree with BinaryPeaches though, at first I was a little annoyed and questioned why they chose to change the region name, but hey, it could have been a lot worse.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I call it Unova, 'cause I prefer using the English names for things. Although I think both names are a bit naff.

PelipperMail

Banned
Years
Personally, I am not fond of either name, namely Isshu. To me, it sounds far too much like the word 'issue' and, whenever I come across 'isssue' I can't help but notice 'tissue'. fml. Unova, although I would have liked it if it were pronounced You-KNOW-Var as opposed to You-nuh-VAR. I guess if it was pronounced that way I wouldn't be too happy either, there was a girl I once knew named Nova, but she passed away...

Ieyasu

This statement is false
Years
At first it was hard getting used to the name Unova, but over time, I've grown to prefer it. Isshu is a fine name, but really I just got used to Unova.

Whitefire321

Person that sprites. Woo hoo.
Years
as the user above me said, 'Isshu' sounds like 'issue'.

then again, how original is Unova? U + nova. um, ok. At least its not another double-letter name [Hoenn, Sinnoh].

MuffinPaula

「PONPON!? ??
Years
I prefer Isshu. But ever since the Pokemon BW DUB and the game, Unova is stuck in my head.. Also it's not even a surprise since they change this and almost every Pokemon or thing in this series...I prefer the Japanese names over English. Too bad some of us don't consider the Japanese names normal here in the U.S..

DexHolderBlue

The Sneaky Thief
Years
I voted "both" because the change doesn't bother me all that much, but I was fine with Isshu. Unova kind of sounds like a planet, but I'm used to it now.

Back