• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
how would i get a magnemite with HP fire?

i know this is a short question but any help is appreciated =)

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
Well Stealth Rock with Poison Heal is illegal, so that's not an option.

Fling goes really well with Acrobatics because you'll get that base power boost, as well as with Protect and EQ.

EQ and Ice Fang are fairly standard on most sets (especially Swords Dance).

Another set that's common is Sub / Protect / Toxic / EQ; You can actually heal off sub damage after a sub / protect because poison heal does 12.5% instead of the leftie's 6.25%.

As for EVs and Nature:

252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
With Impish is standard on all sets.

@dreyko: You have to get the Magnemite's IVs to produce a Hidden Power Fire. This would require an IV spread similar to this one: 31 / 30 / 31 / 30 / 31 / 30

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
What's a good moveset for Haxorus? Thanks in advance.

Its best moveset is a Choice moveset, preferably Choice Band. DD is outclassed by Salamence in general due to better base speed and coverage and SD, while it hits like a truck, takes a turn of set-up (and things that outspeed it still scare it out) whereas CB can come in, smash a Steel, and run away.

Haxorus @ Choice Band
ability: Mold Breaker / Rivalry (MB lets you beat Zong and makes it easier to spam EQ, Rivalry lets you 2HKO other Steels even but you risk having people run female Steels just for Hax)
nature: Adamant / Jolly (Ad preferred)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break / Rock Slide
- Dual Chop / Dragon Claw

Years
Can anybody help me with a new Gen V team? I want to use Terrakion/Zoroark/Vaporeon and maybe Heatran. Is there any way this can be done? i'm willing to take away these choices but they are my preference thanks

Years
My battle subway team, made up of some of my favourite Gen V pokemon. However, I need some help with movesets...help much appreciated :)

Spr_5b_620_s.png

Mienshao ♀ ★ @ BrightPowder
Nature: Naive
Ability: Regenerator
Moves: Hi Jump Kick, U-turn, HP Ice, Fake Out
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
The lead. My strategy: start off with Fake Out, then beat down on the team for as long as I can until I am ready to bring out Volcarona. Hi Jump Kick gives great power (which is preferred over Drain Punch. I am not too worried about keeping this guy alive, I just want him to deal as much damage as he can for Volcarona to finish off), and HP Ice is surprisingly very effective. However, I almost never use U-Turn. Given how short and small Battle Subway battle/teams are, it is not really that effective to use. So, I was thinking about replacing it with Stone Edge. Again, it is the brute power that this guy is great with dishing out. Oh, and on a side note, BrightPowder because Volcarona is already using Life Orb, and it was the best item I could find tbh. Opinions?
Spr_5b_637.png

Volcarona ♂ @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Flame Body
Moves: HP Rock, Quiver Dance, Heat Wave, Bug Buzz
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
The sweeper. Heatwave and Bug Buzz are great STAB moves, and with Quiver Dance its almost unstoppable. However, my problem is, I find Volcarona doesn't get too show its power because it is always dieing ahaha. So, to combat that, I wanted to replace HP Rock (which is alright, since Mienshao would get Stone Edge) for Subsitute. Ive seen it before on Volcarona, and it has worked pretty well. Opinions?
Spr_5b_579_s.png

Reuniclus ♂ ★ @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Magic Guard
Moves: Calm Mind, Recover, Psychic, Focus Blast
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
The support. Yes, he is the support, covering weaknesses and the such, but he should also take the title as sweeper. I usually use him as a last resort, but when I do Reuniclus always destroys the opposing team. Hes pretty bulky, so I can spam Calm Mind+Recover, and then STAB Psychic ftw. Focus Blast has been working great, however the one thing I find with this team is that I have no way to effectively combat Water types, which are pretty common. So, to replace Focus Blast (which I would be fine with, seeing how ive got Mienshao w/ STAB Fighting) with a good ol' Thunder. It is basically the same as Focus Blast, 130 damage, secondary effect, and 70% accuracy. However, the bonus with this is that ive got more coverage now, which is always welcome lol. Opinions?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Stone Edge is fine on Mienshao; if you're gonna use Sub on Volcarona I'd use Lefties too and give Reuniclus the Life Orb - it takes no recoil damage from it due to Magic Guard; Thunder seems okayish on Reuniclus, though a few misses are going to suck. :(

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
for meinsho i would give it an expert belt so thats its super effective moves get some extra power. or if you don't want it to die in one hit you could give it a focus sash, because only getting a fake out hit in sucks if mienshao doesn't get another hit in.

Years
@Vrai: I think ill do just that (with the items). And Thunder has been great. Missed twice so far out of a 21 streak, so its doing alright. However, I think I am just going to go back to Focus Blast, it worked better for me anyways.

@dreyko: I was actually thinking about giving her a Wide Lens, too boost accuracy for Hi Jump Kick and Stone Edge, however Expert Belt can work as well. Opinions?

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
well if your really worried about a miss then wide lens would work. in some cases a miss could be deadly so i see your point there. if you really want meinshao to pack more punch when it attacks with a super effective hit then you could go with expert belt. it really a personal preference and trial and error of what you think works best. there are also a lot of other attack boosting options like muscle band, black belt, choice band,and various gems.

.Aero

Years
If you do end up going with Stone Miss Edge, go with Wide Lens. I understand the missing aspect of that move can be really annoying and match-changing, so it will benefit from the extra 8% accuracy. HJK will appreciate it too, because in the event that 10% happens of missing, your Mienshao is basically done for. If it still does end up missing occasionally because of Wide Lens making it 1% away from perfect, well, that just sucks. xD Regenerator is useful for healing off HJK misses though I guess.

Expert Belt would be preferred if you stick with U-turn over Stone Edge.

Everything else looks great to be honest. :] I wish you luck in your Battle Subway endeavors.

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2011
Help build my team!

Hey guys. I am new here, and I need help with my team. I already have three pokemon, which I think should defiantly be in my team. At this time, you do not need to know the levels as I am going to train them when I have an idea what my team is going to be. I have two pokemon games, I lost my pearl a while ago, so I may not be able to obtain pokemon through that game. I own: Pokemon Black. I also own, Pokemon: Soul Silver.
My team at the minute is:

Mewtwo - Shadow ball. Recover. Auro Sphere. Psystrike.
I have EV trained mewtwo's special attack.

Ho-oh - Shadow ball. Sacred Fire. Future Sight. Fly.
I have not EV trained ho-oh at all, I do not know what stat to EV train it in. The movepool is not that good, tips on that would be very much appreciated!

Dragonite - Dragon dance. Outrage. Brick Break. Aqua Tail.
I have not EV trained Dragonite, I do not know what stat I should EV train him.
The movepool is terrible! Tips on that would also be very much appreciated!

So that is my team so far.
I would love someone to reccomend moves and what I should EV train them in, also I do need another 3 pokemon, I can get them from black or soul silver, I CAN use wi-fi, the only problem is that you need to have the pokemon in your pokedex to request them.

NO MORE LEGENDARYS - Thanks.
I have enough in my box's - Legit.

Thanks!

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
What is much better for a blaziken and sceptile to have speed, attack, special attack, defense, special defense or hp?

for blaziken i would focus your EV's in attack and speed so a spread like 4 HP 252 Atack 252 speed would be a pretty generic Ev spread for blaziken.

for scpetile i would definitely invest 252 EV's into speed. i guess it could be a good mixed sweeper, but im not so good with mixed sweepers so im unsure as to what EV's should go to on sceptile, with the exception of its speed stat.

hows is my set for breloom looking?

breloom @ toxic orb
4 HP 252 Attak 252 Speed
jolly

seed bomb
mach punch
leech seed
spore

my goal with brelooom here is to put the opponent to sleep with spore and the follow it up with leech seed. even if the opponent switches out i still get a free turn to seed them.
i feel this set is kinda generic but even generic sets need work, so thats where you all come in. =)

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
for blaziken i would focus your EV's in attack and speed so a spread like 4 HP 252 Atack 252 speed would be a pretty generic Ev spread for blaziken.

for scpetile i would definitely invest 252 EV's into speed. i guess it could be a good mixed sweeper, but im not so good with mixed sweepers so im unsure as to what EV's should go to on sceptile, with the exception of its speed stat.

hows is my set for breloom looking?

breloom @ toxic orb
4 HP 252 Attak 252 Speed
jolly

seed bomb
mach punch
leech seed
spore

my goal with brelooom here is to put the opponent to sleep with spore and the follow it up with leech seed. even if the opponent switches out i still get a free turn to seed them.
i feel this set is kinda generic but even generic sets need work, so thats where you all come in. =)

It looks like your Breloom is leaning towards a SubPunch set, which would be this;

Breloom (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Leech Seed
- Spore

What is much better for a blaziken and sceptile to have speed, attack, special attack, defense, special defense or hp?

Blaziken is banned from Standard play in Gen V OU. So I'd forget him :V Sceptile depends, it can be a Mixed Sweeper, Physical sweeper, Special sweeper and a SubSeeder. Specify which you want please C: :3

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hey!

I'm sorry, but the raters here cannot build a team for you. ;(

If you're going to post here, than you need a vague idea of all, if not most, of what your Pokemon are going to be, including movesets, abilities, items, and so on. We cannot tell you which Pokemon you should use based on the three that you gave us. That is impossible. The point of and RMT is to rate your already mostly constructed team, not build one for you. Even still, all the raters can do is suggest alternative movesets and whatnot for your Pokemon. If you are not sure about which Pokemon makes a good teammate for another, than post that in the Q&A sticky at the top of the forum. Otherwise, please edit your post so your Pokemon follow this format:

Pokemon @ Item
Ability
EVs
Nature
- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

Once you have a completed team, the raters will be more than willing to give you suggestions on more effective movesets or recommend bigger and better things to make your team battle ready! :3

Mewtwo - Shadow ball. Recover. Auro Sphere. Psystrike.
I have EV trained mewtwo's special attack.

Ho-oh - Shadow ball. Sacred Fire. Future Sight. Fly.
I have not EV trained ho-oh at all, I do not know what stat to EV train it in. The movepool is not that good, tips on that would be very much appreciated!

In case you're unaware, Mewtwo and Ho-oh are in the Uber tier. This tier consists of Legendary Pokemon and other Pokemon who have characteristics that have no clear check and are therefore banned from standard play (you can read more about the Pokemon banned from OU here). So you wouldn't be able to use them unless you want to build an Uber team. Which I'm going to assume that you do not based on your comment about, "No more Legendaries". Besides all that, two-turn moves like Fly are not recommended in a competitive environment. It just gives your opponent time to set up against you.

If you want to know which stat to EV train a Pokemon in, it's generally best to work with that Pokemon's specific advantages. Heatran has a high Special Attack, so it's best to give 252 EVs into Special Attack. However, although it seems a little unconventional, Ho-oh does well in its Attack stat as opposed to Special Attack. The difference between the two is minimal (a matter of 44 points, if I remember correctly), but it gives you a good direction as to your EV spread.

This set would work well in the Uber tier (I think?). However, just remember that if you want to play in OU you have to get rid of Ho-oh and Mewtwo.
250.gif

Ho-oh @ Choice Band
Pressure
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Adamant [+Attack; -Special Attack] / Jolly [+Speed; -Special Attack]
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Brave Bird
- Punishment

As you can see, this is a Choice Band set. EVs are spread between Attack and Speed with the leftovers in HP. Adamant would be the nature of choice for all out power, but Jolly will give Ho-oh a major boost in Speed, which can be invaluable at times. Sacred Fire hits ridiculously hard and few Pokemon will want to switch into it. Combine that with Earthquake and you'll have great coverage. Brave Bird is a powerful STAB attack and Punishment will help against things like Calm Mind Mewtwo. (I do not frequent Ubers often, so I hope I'm on the right track here.)

Dragonite - Dragon dance. Outrage. Brick Break. Aqua Tail.
I have not EV trained Dragonite, I do not know what stat I should EV train him.
The movepool is terrible! Tips on that would also be very much appreciated!

Actually, your moveset for Dragonite isn't too bad. You certainly have the right idea, I would just make a few changes.
149.gif

Dragonite @ Yache Berry / Life Orb / Leftovers
Multiscale
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Adamant
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch / Roost / Brick Break / Extreme Speed

Now, as far as Multiscale is concerned, I'm not 100% certain what moves are allowed and what isn't. So if someone has more information than I do, please correct me. Anyway, same EV spread as Ho-oh. Attack, Speed, HP. Simple. I'm working off of the Dragon Dance you're using on your existing set, hence its appearance in this one. Outrage is the primary STAB attack since it's so devastating to everything with the exception of Dragon-resistant Steels. Enter Earthquake. Earthquake will deal with the Steel types and Fire Punch will deal with the Steels that are not grounded (Bronzong, Skarmory etc.). However, if Steel types aren't an issue for you than you can be free to use Roost. Extreme Speed will give you a strong priority attack (I run ES on my Dragonite and I absolutely love it). As for the items, the Yache Berry will help out the serious damage Ice does to Dragonite, being x4 weak to it. It will also be sure to keep Dragonite alive if you consider the benefits of Multiscale. But you can always go with the Life Orb for more power but recoil, or Leftovers for neutral power but healing. It's up to you.

If EVs are still alluding you, than read this. It's an EV training manual that will give you all the information you need to make an informed decision concerning the EV spread of each Pokemon.

Hope this helped! :D

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
well just about everything has been said by Alexial357, but i do have a recommendation for your dragonite.
if you are going to have the multi scale ability then i would definitely put roost into the move pool because multi scale allows dragonite to take less damage from attacks when it is at 100% HP. so, if your dragonite is down to about 55% health then a roost will bring it back to full health. but aside from that roost just allows dragonite to last a little longer. for example if you predict that the opponent is going to switch out then you get a free turn to go for a roost to recover some HP.

hope this helps with your dragonite a little =)

Years
is Excadrill still usable without a sandstorm team? And how do you play a non-rock/ground/steel pokemon in a sandstorm team?

edit: also is having a sandstorm team cliche in gen V?

Last edited:

.Aero

Years
is Excadrill still usable without a sandstorm team? And how do you play a non-rock/ground/steel pokemon in a sandstorm team?

Excadrill performs poorly outside of sand because of his speed that leaves much to be desired. Its frailty also hinders it if it can't outspeed much (which would happen outside of sandstorm). He basically needs sandstorm to be honest, I don't know why you'd run him out of it anyway...

And playing non-rock/ground/steel pokemon on a sandstorm team is very similar to any other team. Pokemon like Jellicent, Latios, etc. can do just fine without having to worry much about taking the sandstorm damage each turn, Jellicent because of its access to the move Recover, and Latios because of his naturally high speed and the fact that he OHKOs most pokemon with a simple D-Meteor. This means for Jellicent, he can just heal of the sandstorm damage no problem, and Latios doesn't have to worry too much about taking direct damage that often.

So basically look for pokemon that can heal off the sandstorm damage, or are capable enough to not have to worry about the indirect damage that they'd be receiving.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
edit: also is having a sandstorm team cliche in gen V?

If you mean popular, then yes. Overused, yes. It is by no stretch of the imagination 'bad' and 'something to avoid' as terms coined with 'cliché' usually are. It's used a lot because it's good and effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back