• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Wow, that's easily 150+ games. And yeah, PS2 has the ultimate library, so if they were ever that dirt cheap in my vicinity, I would be able to fill a wall with em.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
My UK ps2 is softmodded (bought a new PAL one and didn't want to have to re-buy all the NTSC games I have so I can just download or use swap magic. No use buying used as the developers don't see any of that money, so I don't see the harm in downloading games I wouldn't be able to find new anyhow.)

I missed out on last gen's big consoles (Xbox 360, PS3, etc.) so I'll eventually look into the PS4. I don't want a WiiU at all.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
My UK ps2 is softmodded (bought a new PAL one and didn't want to have to re-buy all the NTSC games I have so I can just download or use swap magic. No use buying used as the developers don't see any of that money, so I don't see the harm in downloading games I wouldn't be able to find new anyhow.)

I missed out on last gen's big consoles (Xbox 360, PS3, etc.) so I'll eventually look into the PS4. I don't want a WiiU at all.
This is how I view PS2 piracy, and I bet that's how most people do. If its not current gen, I see no harm in it at all.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
This is how I view PS2 piracy, and I bet that's how most people do. If its not current gen, I see no harm in it at all.
Really? That's actually the first time I've heard something like that (which is surprising, since I was on GBAtemp for about 2 years). I would say that it's more the case for 2 generations younger (which, in this case, would be the Playstation 2, Gamecube, and Xbox, since we are now in the 8th generation and those are 6th generation). I say this because the last and penultimate generations (and in this case, the generation before the penultimate generation) are still in print to a degree, and if not that they can at least still be profited off of (especially in the sixth generation's case).

However, I see nothing wrong with pirating games that one has already owned. Or rather, I do, but I have no qualms against it. The publisher, developer, and/or the reseller has already gotten their money, and in most cases it's not likely that they will be losing a potential sale.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Really? That's actually the first time I've heard something like that (which is surprising, since I was on GBAtemp for about 2 years). I would say that it's more the case for 2 generations younger (which, in this case, would be the Playstation 2, Gamecube, and Xbox, since we are now in the 8th generation and those are 6th generation). I say this because the last and penultimate generations (and in this case, the generation before the penultimate generation) are still in print to a degree, and if not that they can at least still be profited off of (especially in the sixth generation's case).

However, I see nothing wrong with pirating games that one has already owned. Or rather, I do, but I have no qualms against it. The publisher, developer, and/or the reseller has already gotten their money, and in most cases it's not likely that they will be losing a potential sale.
Games for the PS2, Xbox, and gamecube that are still in print or have some new stock in stores in my vicinity sure, I still buy them. However games that cannot and will not be found new off of a shelf and not online is free game for me. This also includes DS and PSP games, never going to pirate them until they're permanently off the shelves.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Problem is, sometimes, as much as I'd want to buy new for older gen stuff.. they jack up the price like crazy. Like.. new Ace Attourney Trials and Tribulations game? $60+.. I can't justify that, and not much of it is actually going to the developer, the most of that money is going to the seller >_> As much as I want to support them, that's just ridiculous.
(Bought AA investigations though because it was the proper price!)

Some games I need to pirate to play. Tales of Innocence? There is no english version, but there is an English fanmade patch. Legal to download and play for me since it hasn't been localized. ;3

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Problem is, sometimes, as much as I'd want to buy new for older gen stuff.. they jack up the price like crazy. Like.. new Ace Attourney Trials and Tribulations game? $60+.. I can't justify that, and not much of it is actually going to the developer, the most of that money is going to the seller >_> As much as I want to support them, that's just ridiculous.

Some games I need to pirate to play. Tales of Innocence? There is no english version, but there is an English fanmade patch. Legal to download and play for me since it hasn't been localized. ;3
Or basically any Square Enix game on the PS2 that end in Final Mix or International Version. God did FF12 benefit so much from the zodiac classes.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

Well, the "legal" thing to do is to import the game, rip it to your computer, patch it, and then play it via some medium. Thing is, apparently even backups (or making backups) is illegal in some cases.

Not that I mind, it's more a matter of morals than anything else. I usually pirate Japanese games since I don't have an income and otherwise wouldn't be able to even buy the game; it doesn't make it any better, though, but that's just my scenario.

Years
I don't really have too much against pirating. People have their reasons, and I understand how some people don't want to spend too much money on games they really want. The only problem I have with it is people doing it for money; selling pirate copies. Playing pirated games is similar to playing on an emulator.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
I agree with completely agree with that. I hate it when I go anywhere, in real life or online, and they have bootlegs mixed in with real games for sale. Especially if they are of ROM hacks, since the creators spent so much time on something awesome just to have it downloaded into a generic cart and sold for cash. However I myself pirate games that I cannot afford to buy. While I try to buy the real copies, it just isn't possible for someone without an income. Maybe when I become rich and famous I'll buy all the new games I want :B

Years
Well there are always flaws with pirating, and getting the actual game is a lot more preferable. As I age, I will want to be able to actually purchase the games I want and keep them forever. Memories of playing them and also giving them a go sometimes; it will make me think of my youth. Video games have been a huge part of my childhood and I could never let them go.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
The only time I ever pirate games is on my R4 for DS games, and it's mostly just to try a game out before buying it (a demo, basically) given the DS huge library. Most of the the games on my R4 that I actually spent a worthwhile time playing I already ended up owning anyway. Rhythm Heaven and Elite Beat Agents are the two big one. Though I never ended up buying 999 because importing never crossed my mind at that time, and I still need to get Ace Attorney Investigations. (i'm part of the problem i know)

Otherwise I'm completely anti-piracy. I'd rather own a game and support the developers than play it illegally just to save some cash. (sans the most expensive stuff out there which are generally in used condition...like earthbound.) However, I'm actually dying to play Virtual Boy Wario Land but Virtual Boy was never released in Europe, so I'm considering pirating. Who knows, I doubt the virtual boy will ever get a virtual console release.

Shadow-L

Lonesome Road
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 9, 2013
A bit off-topic, but I just saw a trailer for Isaac Clarke in Playstation All-Stars. Sadly, I still don't think that's reason enough to buy this game.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
So to get a discussion rolling, anyone else wierded out by the fact that Sony's first party studios are pumping games out for the PS3 due for the holiday season plus the fact that we likely haven't seen all the games for it yet? What I mean is, unless the PS4 has a lot of cross gen titles, wouldn't that leave Sony with a gaping hole in their plan where the games should fit? Not like I'm buying the console day 1, but it just doesn't feel right, from a consumers POV.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Sorry, Elendil, I know you just posted a discussion topic, but this...it makes me sad. Sad and scared.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._of_a_single_player_experience_has_to_go_away

The reason it scares me is because this is not the first developer to say this, I've been seeing this logic as a trend among Western developers recently. It'd be fine if they wanted to simply integrate the "Online" or "Connected" Single Player, but removing offline Single Player as an option overall omits a lot of story options for future games.

Then again, it seems that a lot of non-indie Western titles haven't been focusing on Story lately, either. It's all about multiplayer nowadays, and it's a little sad that you have to look almost strictly to the East and at indie titles to find a game with an immersive story and/or engaging Single Player mode.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I do hope single player or local multiplayer won't end up going away. I, myself, don't like playing online if I'm on my own. (Some exceptions aside, like fighting games or Mario Kart.) Not that it's because I can't handle myself, mind you, but the idea of playing with strangers I completely don't know about is not something I'm fond of. I'd rather play with my friends if it's multiplayer, be it online or local. Otherwise, count me out for the most part.

I really hope we don't end up losing single player games. That's the reason I even play video games, not online. The thought alone is really scary.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Sorry, Elendil, I know you just posted a discussion topic, but this...it makes me sad. Sad and scared.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._of_a_single_player_experience_has_to_go_away

The reason it scares me is because this is not the first developer to say this, I've been seeing this logic as a trend among Western developers recently. It'd be fine if they wanted to simply integrate the "Online" or "Connected" Single Player, but removing offline Single Player as an option overall omits a lot of story options for future games.

Then again, it seems that a lot of non-indie Western titles haven't been focusing on Story lately, either. It's all about multiplayer nowadays, and it's a little sad that you have to look almost strictly to the East and at indie titles to find a game with an immersive story and/or engaging Single Player mode.
Ah don't worry, saw that after I posted and I wasn't bothered with deleting my post and putting it up with this. But yeah, its scary really, but not far from the truth. Single Player games with online aspects will be more common, but not in the way Yelti is saying, far from it. Miiverse is likely as far as we're going to get, with single player games having optional player interactivity that can be played offline all we want. This speculation however is suggesting the games each become their own Miiverse, with the gameplay being a secondary feature. Stuff like this is worrying, because single player is too important for the industry to just drop. Imagine having a single player game, and not being able to play it cause the servers are down, or losing the immersion that they are supposed to give you. At best I see this as random babbling coming from Yelti because Crysis can't be bothered anymore to offer a proper Single Player mode, let alone a multiplayer.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years

I've been singing this but changing the lyrics to 'I just bought Ni no Kuni! I just bought Ni no Kuni!" Haven't had a chance to play it as of yet, but I'm really excited to, when I get a chance after work. From people who have played it: is it any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back