• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

misunderstandings

droomph

weeb
Years
Do you get misunderstood a lot?

Do you have a hard time understanding people sometimes?

Do you prefer text or speaking? (ie do you have a lot of emotion/sarcasm in your speech)

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Sometimes. But it can result in some funny confusion so it's cool. :x

If mishearing counts, then yeah. I:

Depends on the conversation. If it's something private (which I generally would only discuss with my best friend), then I'd rather it be face-to-face, out of fear of someone else finding the text or whatever. :x But I am sarcastic, so I guess that could result in misunderstandings if I'm not actually saying it.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I think I articulate pretty clearly, and I don't talk to a lot of drunk people, so I understand others pretty clearly as well.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I don't really get misunderstood, with all my languages I can pretty much pull off the accent xD
I understand people most of the time, unless I'm sleepy or my parents say some Spanish phrase I've never heard and I'm like "TF? xD"
I think talking, it seems more like a bond that way xD

Years
I don't get misunderstood that much really, apart from occasional times, but who doesn't.

I don't prefer texting or speaking over each other, as I feel I can communicate effectively .​

Years
I have trouble being understood more than I have understanding so I prefer writing over speaking for clarity reasons, but not so much that I won't talk to someone. I mean, writing is for when you need to send a short text or when someone is in another time zone and you don't need a response right away. Speaking and writing have different uses.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Get misunderstood all the time and it's really annoying, more online than offline so it might just be the language barrier but yeah.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I only seem to get misunderstood if I don't use smilies and people tend to assume things of me or think I'm more serious than I actually am! It's a little annoying because I don't like to have people assume things of me, but oh well, everyone does it once in a while!

Years
I am beyond the comprehension of the average human being. Understand me? ME? Don't be ridiculous! You cannot predict me. My thoughts, actions, motives [gotta catch em' all, Pokemon!] transcend you all!

I can find it hard to understand someone if they have a particularly strong accent or if they have a significant speech problem.

Not too fussed about speech or text but probably prefer speech.

Years
Sometimes people misunderstand me because I don't explain things very well or say things the right way.

I don't usually misunderstand people, because Im very observant and pick up on little things, however there are times when I do.

I prefer text, easier to get my point across and I rarely stumble over my words like when I speak.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
Sometimes I wonder if I stuck cotton balls in my ears when I was little and no one ever knew about it because I feel like I'm constantly saying "Huh?" to people. It's become a habit to just pretend I'm following logical points, and I've gotten pretty good at it.

I prefer communicating through text, because I think I type more eloquently than I speak. Misunderstandings occur either way, though.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I'm misunderstood a lot more offline than I am online. Typing is better because you have more time to think and it's difficult to put you on the spot, whereas a certain amount of 'thinking on one's feet' is necessary when talking in person. The one advantage speaking has is that it's easier to communicate your exact meaning through your inflection, but I've found ways around that when I'm typing and I've become more adept at that than I am at communicating verbally :P

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
Years
Yes I get misunderstood a lot, not everyone gets my humor and sarcasm. There's a lot of terms people use that I don't get... I prefer speaking because I am sarcastic a lot.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I get misunderstood a lot of times, but I don't mind. I usually take my time to explain it over and over again, until the person gets it right. Most of the time I'm very sarcastic, but it doesn't last very long, especially when the person I'm talking to gets irritated.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
It's weird. If I ever go abroad, people normally understand me absolutely perfectly. I was booking some flights over the phone and needed to speak to the Spanish office of Iberia, for some reason. The delightful Spanish woman at the other end of the phone understood everything I said perfectly, and I didn't make any attempt to talk slower or anything! And yet when I order takeaway food in the UK, I'm forever having to repeat my name or my phone number or the address as the person on the other end of the line has absolutely no idea what I'm saying! It's weird, I'll give it that. Face-to-face speaking is a bit easier for all involved, as I can use bodily language and intonation to get across my message. I definitely prefer it to phone conversation and typing, as a loooooot of my verbal and physical mannerisms get lost when I just write everything down.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I don't get misunderstood as much as I feel that I do. Sometimes I'll say something and then immediately think "Oh CRAP that came out wrong" but either I'm the only one who notices or people don't call me out on it. Sometimes I don't understand other people (more often due to not hearing correctly instead of misinterpreting) but I'm stubborn and I'll agree or disagree depending on the tone it was said in. If I asked people to repeat things because I didn't hear properly, conversations would never end.

Back