• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Texas Governor begging for a Government Handout

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Rhetoric not matching reality is a severe problem in many areas in Texas. On April 17th, 2013 a fertilizer plant exploded in the town of West, Texas. Hours after the devastating explosion, a report from MSNBC showed Texas Governor Rick Perry begging for federal assistance.

It is common knowledge that Perry is anti-government regulation. The plant that exploded was poorly regulated. Perry claims to hate government handouts so much so that he refuses to accept the Medicaid expansion of Obamacare in a state where over 25% of its citizens have no healthcare insurance. Yet, he wants a federal government bailout for the explosion in West Texas.

The Huffington Post reports that FEMA may have wised up.
HOUSTON — The Federal Emergency Management Agency is refusing to provide additional money to help rebuild the small Texas town where a deadly fertilizer plant explosion leveled numerous homes and a school, and killed 15 people.

According to a letter obtained by The Associated Press, FEMA said it reviewed the state's appeal to help but decided that the explosion "is not of the severity and magnitude that warrants a major disaster declaration."

FEMA already has provided millions of dollars in aid to the town of West and its residents, but the decision prevents them from getting some of the widespread assistance typically available to victims of tornadoes, hurricanes and other natural disasters. ….

But Muska said the rural community of 2,800 people cannot cover the costs of the repairs, and doesn't believe that the state will provide enough money on its own. He estimated the cost of those repairs at about $57 million, including $40 million to rebuild schools that were destroyed or damaged when the West Fertilizer Co. blew up in April.

"We don't have the money to go out and borrow the money. We don't have the means to pay that note back," Muska said. "There's got to be some public assistance."

The letter, dated June 10, is addressed to Texas Gov. Rick Perry and signed by FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate.

Perry noted in a statement that Obama attended a memorial service in April for the victims of the West blast and "stood in front of a grieving community and told them they would not be forgotten."

"He said his administration would stand with them, ready to help," Perry said. "We anticipate the president will hold true to his word and help us work with FEMA to ensure much-needed assistance reaches the community of West."

One must ask a question that few are asking. Why should the federal government and taxpayers be liable for the explosion of a private plant? Should not that plant be liable for rebuilding the damage caused from the company storing that quantity of explosive chemicals in an unsafe manner? This is a classic case of privatization of profits and socialization of losses/expenses. Perry fighting for a government handout for a private company explosion while refusing government subsidies to provide healthcare to the poor in his state is the height of immorality.

Texas Governor Rick Perry is more than a hypocrite. He is dangerous. While he claims to hate regulation, he systematically passes laws/regulations that infringe on women's rights but refuses regulations to equalize their pay. He refuses government money that would go to the poor and needy even as he provides billions in incentives for business. He has become a conduit to move middle class taxes to the powerful.

I don't see why Perry wants a handout - I thought that he took pride in his state not relying on the Government.

If he wants funds to cover the expenses of poor regulations, perhaps he should go after the company that caused this mess? And perhaps he should undertake actions to prevent accidents like this from happening in the future?

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Because, like most politicians, he relies heavily on public opinion, especially when categorically denying that their decisions are based on public opinion polls. Politicians are in a way like turtles, except what gets pulled into their shell isn't their appendages, it's their true nature.

This particular politician is only to ready to stick his hand in the cookie jar when it suits him, and admonishes others for doing the same. It's a typical 'do as I say, not as I do' scenario.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Partly because lately Republicans have had a mindset of something isn't reality, isn't true, doesn't work, or isn't good unless it affects them directly or so in some way.

And partly, and less cynically, because for reasons I don't fully understand the state always ends up paying in the end. We had a propane plant explosion here a couple of years ago. The city and state forked up the money for cleanup. Which, I guess makes sense. If your house or building (in a work situation) catches fire out of your stupidity or neglect, the fire department doesn't charge you for putting it out. So, if the government has the equipment and staff, then I guess that's how it goes.

In our case, the government is hoping to sue them for just under the cost of cleanup (why? Why not a greater amount? Why undercut?) and the community that sustained damages is suing for hundreds of millions. But still.. it's all after the fact and tentative and based on the outcome of drawn-out legal battles. That's not how it should be.

And in our cases it was a left-leaning mayor and provincial government in power at the time. So, not really the right trying to bail out corporate asses as you seem to be alluding.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Hopefully the private company will later repay the government for the cost of the damages... there really should be some level of oversight, too little is going to result in issues as well as too much. imo there needs to be a medium.

Also second quote article sounds awfully bias to me...is this an opinion article? As news organization imo should stick to saying the news as it is, and allow us to make of it what we will of the politicians who are making and signing the policies, be it leftist or rightist leaning media.

Years
This is also the same guy who ran those radio ads slamming states like Illinois and telling businesses to come to Texas. Because that's not sectarian or divisive at all. At least he's not going to be re-elected.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
The government should just send him a check made out to "irony." The amount should be "a lot."

I doubt he'd get it, though.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
How heartless can you guys be? This is a serious explosion we're talking about!

Sir Codin

The guy asks for a government handout after a long history of admonishing others for doing the same.

I'd say that warrants more than a few accusations of hypocrisy. Sort of like what I like to do with Obama's peace prize and U.S. Drone Strikes.

droomph

weeb
Years
It's Texas so we're not losing anything of importance to begin with lol.

Except for Texas Instruments oh god where would I be today without their super-handy graphing calculators (TI-84 4 lyfe) not to mention all the other crap they make

Hypocrisy at its finest. I think Perry has his morals confused.

he's always confused. About his goals, about his morals, and about his gender. you know, all the good stuff us normal people have down.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Except for Texas Instruments oh god where would I be today without their super-handy graphing calculators (TI-84 4 lyfe) not to mention all the other crap they make

I meant as far as people went, granted there are idiots everywhere but rarely do they reach the scale of someone such as Perry for example.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Maybe Texas will actually secede from the United States, along with North Carolina.

droomph

weeb
Years
I meant as far as people went, granted there are idiots everywhere but rarely do they reach the scale of someone such as Perry for example.

Yeah I know, I really hate to think why they haven't thrown him out.

I mean, if extramarital sex is a thing to shame them to the point of almost-resigning, shouldn't he be, like, quartered or something by now?

Maybe Texas will actually secede from the United States, along with North Carolina.

NOPE THEY OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T THINK THAT ONE THROUGH

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Yeah I know, I really hate to think why they haven't thrown him out.

I mean, if extramarital sex is a thing to shame them to the point of almost-resigning, shouldn't he be, like, quartered or something by now?

If Bush Jr. or Obama haven't been thrown out of office I'm not surprised to see the loathable piece of horse**** that is Perry still being in power though to be fair he is a pretty good comedian when shown making this ad that made me laugh for hours on end.

Oh yeah and let's not forget Texas wanting to ban oral and anal sex too along with what has been going on with the Justin Carter debacle as well, stay classy Texas lol.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Did anyone say he shouldn't get it? Accusing someone of being a hypocrite is not the same as saying they shouldn't get their highly ironic request fulfilled. However, he should have to make a public apology and shut up about the subject in the future as a precondition.

Back